Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

alrite so let's assume it was a ghost (Yoda should've sensed him as a real presence but w/e) why didn't he attack Yoda? ep XIII confirmed what OB1 said force ghosts are more powerful than their live versions

now that Disney's in charge I wouldn't put it past them to do a retcon of sorts especially after they brought back Maul from an impossible situation I reckon anything's possible

I actually hope they bring back Snoke
    they can also bring back Sidious himself - alive - and make him as powerful as he was in the EU (magnitudes higher than Anakin or Luke could ever be)
    Last edited by SoulReaver; April 13th, 2019 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulReaver View Post
    alrite so let's assume it was a real ghost (as a jedi Yoda should've been able to sense a real presence but w/e) why didn't Bane attack Yoda? episode XIII confirmed what OB1 said long ago it showed that force ghosts are more powerful than their live versions
    You're conflating (or appear to be) "more powerful than you can possibly imagine" with physical capability/violence. That's demonstrably not the case. So far as I can recall, we have never seen a Force spirit physically interact with the real world. Whether Obi-Wan in the OT, Qui-Gon in the Mortis episodes, or Bane, or even Luke's Force-projection in TLJ--none of these have actually had any physical interaction with the world.

admittedly now that Disney's in charge I wouldn't put it past them to do a retcon of sorts especially after they brought back Maul from a seemingly impossible situation I reckon anything's possible
    Disney wasn't involved in Maul's return. Maul's reappearance was first teased in The Clone Wars in January 2011 (meaning the episode was undoubtedly written at least six months before that). Disney didn't buy Lucasfilm until October 2012.

they could also bring back Sidious himself & make him as powerful as he was in the EU (magnitudes higher than Anakin or Luke could ever be)
    I hope it's not a clone a la Dark Empire. There's certainly plenty of precedent for it, but Dark Empire just left such a bad taste in my mouth, I don't want it to happen again....
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    You're conflating (or appear to be) "more powerful than you can possibly imagine" with physical capability/violence. That's demonstrably not the case. So far as I can recall, we have never seen a Force spirit physically interact with the real world. Whether Obi-Wan in the OT, Qui-Gon in the Mortis episodes, or Bane, or even Luke's Force-projection in TLJ--none of these have actually had any physical interaction with the world.
    ? ghost Yoda did some very real force demo on that planet
    (admittedly ep XII & XIII ain't favourites of mine so I don't remember the details)

Disney wasn't involved in Maul's return. Maul's reappearance was first teased in The Clone Wars in January 2011 (meaning the episode was undoubtedly written at least six months before that). Disney didn't buy Lucasfilm until October 2012.
    so Lucas himself planned to bring back Maul?

nb. apparently one of the writers themselves Dave Filoni confirmed this wasn't Bane just an illusion projected by the priestesses as Lucas had said the sith are too selfish & cling to life that's what stops them from returning as ghosts
    this ain't to say more powerful force users like Sidious or Snoke can't find a way around this

? ghost Yoda did some very real force demo on that planet
    (admittedly ep XII & XIII ain't favourites of mine so I don't remember the details)
    Spirit Yoda used the Force to summon lightning from a storm. He didn't physically interact with the world.

so Lucas himself planned to bring back Maul?
    Correct. Lucas and Filoni.

apparently one of the writers themselves Dave Filoni confirmed this wasn't Bane just an illusion projected by the priestesses
    I'm wary of this, because it was Pablo Hidalgo who said it (not Filoni). You'd be right to point out that Pablo absolutely is part of the Story Group, but he's notorious for not liking or wanting people to take his thoughts as immutable canon. He's even made a point over the last two years of trying not to talk about Star Wars in any official capacity on his Twitter account.

this ain't to say more powerful force users like Sidious or Snoke can't find a way around this
    I'm very curious how, if at all, Snoke will fit into this final film....
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

I hope he's just gone, he was a pretty poor villain.
    One thing I noticed in the trailer and did not like was:
    Spoiler:

Kylo physically pushing a guy down with his lightsabre, that's not how they work, the guy would be cut in half.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    One thing I noticed in the trailer and did not like was:
    Spoiler:

Kylo physically pushing a guy down with his lightsabre, that's not how they work, the guy would be cut in half.
    Look again...he speared the dude on one of the crossguard miniblades, and used the momentum of his fist/the hilt to knock him down while the crossguard blade was still spearing him!

bleh he wasnt given much of a chance in the first place

though I didn't like how they made him look like some "rich extravagant corporate with force powers" in the last film (he looked more sinister in the first one)

Spirit Yoda used the Force to summon lightning from a storm. He didn't physically interact with the world.
    I'd say lightning storms are quite real as are their effects
    he should be able to use TK as well

unless you mean physically interact as in make themselves solid like Patrick Swayze's ghost?

Correct. Lucas and Filoni.
    awesome I didn't know that

though it's good they brought back Maul it's still a yuge inconsistency if you think about it:

- healing's supposed to be a light side power right? healing, not exactly the sith's gig

- Qi Gong's a jedi & his injury was a lot less serious yet Maul survived & Qi didn't

go figure :/

I'm wary of this, because it was Pablo Hidalgo who said it (not Filoni). You'd be right to point out that Pablo absolutely is part of the Story Group, but he's notorious for not liking or wanting people to take his thoughts as immutable canon. He's even made a point over the last two years of trying not to talk about Star Wars in any official capacity on his Twitter account.
    then think about it this way: if sith can also become ghosts then they'd have to retcon the very basics of SW canon: how exactly is the light side more powerful than the dark side?

Look again...he speared the dude on one of the crossguard miniblades, and used the momentum of his fist/the hilt to knock him down while the crossguard blade was still spearing him!
    Yeah, still not sold dude, just watched it about 7 times (just that bit), Assuming he is impaled on the cross-bar, the rest would tear right through him despite the momentum of hitting him. A blade would hold and impart momentum, something like a lightsabre would just cut through.
    It's a little niggle, granted however.

bleh he wasnt given much of a chance in the first place
    Perhaps.
    though I didn't like how they made him look like some "rich extravagant corporate with force powers" in the last film (he looked more sinister in the first one)
    Personal opinion, but I just found him flat. Kylo was a better villain, Snoke just felt like a crappy roman Emperor wanna-be (which is where we would agree)
    I'd say lightning storms are quite real as are their effects
    he should be able to use TK as well
    Yes, he should.
    unless you mean physically interact as in make themselves solid like Patrick Swayze's ghost?
    I would say that's what digi means.
    awesome I didn't know that

though it's good they brought back Maul it's still a yuge inconsistency if you think about it:

- healing's supposed to be a light side power right? healing, not exactly the sith's gig
    SURVIVAL is very much a dark side power.

- Qi Gong's a jedi & his injury was a lot less serious yet Maul survived & Qi didn't

go figure :/

then think about it this way: if sith can also become ghosts then they'd have to retcon the very basics of SW canon: how exactly is the light side more powerful than the dark side?
    It's not.
    Jedi Ghosts interact and talk, Sith ghosts are more inclined to corrupt and control (yet, admittedly, that's more an EC POV)

Kylo was a better villain
    lol a Vader wannabe
    minus the power
    and the presence
    and the overall badassness

assuming they don't bring back the big bad: unless Kylo gets a major level-up on all those aspects (or at least the first - but how? he has no one to train him now) the next film doesn't look any more promising than the previous ones
    still hoping for a major twist or something
    bring back the Bendu

I'm not sure the Bendu would translate to live-action....but any Tom Baker is good Tom Baker.

lol a Vader wannabe
    minus the power
    He displayed more power, I never saw Vader actually stop a blaster bolt in mid air, just absorb the energy.
    and the presence
    and the overall badassness
    On that we agree. He's not Iconic, but he is better than Snoke.
    assuming they don't bring back the big bad: unless Kylo gets a major level-up on all those aspects (or at least the first - but how? he has no one to train him now) the next film doesn't look any more promising than the previous ones
    still hoping for a major twist or something
    I'm with you dude, I'm not a huge fan of this current trilogy either, In fact, I pretty much despise everything JJ does. I think he killed ST, and now he is killing SW.
    bring back the Bendu
    The cartoons were awesome, the notion of the grey and the Whilles was awesome, and it's where Lucas wanted to go, and now, we are here.

I pretty much despise everything JJ does. I think he killed ST, and now he is killing SW.
    Nitpick: the JJverse Trek films heavily involved Alex Kurtzman, who is now the guy in charge of the (so far) amazing revival of Trek on TV.

Also, Fringe was awesome.

Nitpick: the JJverse Trek films heavily involved Alex Kurtzman, who is now the guy in charge of the (so far) amazing revival of Trek on TV.

He can do good things in TV, granted.
    Big movies?
    No, I seriously don't like him in that role.
    It could be because he does not have time to do it in a movie.
    I was unimpressed with Ep 7, I was Unimpressed with the new ST.
    I won't say he wrecked my childhood, but his choices on the big screen just seem, well, crap. He has a vision, and that's cool, but it does not reflect the vision of the creator, it reflects HIS vision, and that's not so cool.
    JJ should make his own universe, rather than screw with others.

On that we agree. He's not Iconic, but he is better than Snoke.
    Snoke had the potential to be as badass as Palpatine if not more so

especially if he was the voice Sidious heard (cf. fan speculation since I haven't read the book in question)

I'm not sure the Bendu would translate to live-action....but any Tom Baker is good Tom Baker.
    it's just that with all this light vs dark stuff the series needs a true neutral/"unified force" character

first 3 seasons were real good

4th season (where Peter was sort of erased from the timeline) was passable

5th season bleh

and speaking of Star Trek any reason why shields have disappeared since JJ's first movie? that idiot appears to have forgotten the concept we don't see a single federation ship use shields during a battle

Snoke had the potential to be as badass as Palpatine if not more so

especially if he was the voice Sidious heard (cf. fan speculation since I haven't read the book in question)
    Yet, it crapped out.
    That's my point dude.
    it's just that with all this light vs dark stuff the series needs a true neutral/"unified force" character
    Would you have said that if you had only seen the original trilogy?
    first 3 seasons were real good

4th season (where Peter was sort of erased from the timeline) was passable

5th season bleh
    No comment.
    and speaking of Star Trek any reason why shields have disappeared since JJ's first movie? that idiot appears to have forgotten the concept we don't see a single federation ship use shields during a battle
    We see shields, they are just useless.

Would you have said that if you had only seen the original trilogy?
    no cause before the phantom menace etc. we were just lil kids & the whole light vs dark stuff was the cool new thing :|

and when do we ever see shield FX in JJ's ST films?

looked up on youtube lots of battle scenes never saw even 1

no cause before the phantom menace etc. we were just lil kids & the whole light vs dark stuff was the cool new thing :|
    I wasn't.

and when do we ever see shield FX in JJ's ST films?

looked up on youtube lots of battle scenes never saw even 1
    In Ep 8 there are a lot of shield strikes.