No announcement yet.

Suggestions for a fantasy book series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its more space opera than fantasy but i could really recommend the Revelation Space series by Alistair Reynolds. There are 4 main books in the series.

Revelation Space
    Redemption Ark
    Absolution Gap

There is also a 4th book which explains a load of stuff especially events in the second book which i read afterwards called Chasm City.

Comment

What exactly is a space opera? it sounds intriguing.

Comment

Originally posted by BethHG View Post
        Its just a particular kind of science fiction. I would describe it as a story woven together from multiple threads over different regions of space over a long time. All I'll say is that when you take out faster than light travel and add the effects of relativity and maybe add a bit of suspended animation in a story set in space can unfold over hundreds of years.

Comment

Star Wars is a classic space opera. It's like a soap opera but in space.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I don’t know why I didn’t think of this sooner: Stephen King’s Dark Tower series. It’s not your typical fantasy fare, but it is one hell of a journey.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              You did not just open that can of worms! Is it a Space opera? Science Fiction? Some say it's fantasy, I personally don't really care about genre classification.

I was having a conversation with some friends and other randoms last month, and boy did some of them get triggered at the mention of Star Wars being Science Fiction
              Spoiler:
              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                You did not just open that can of worms! Is it a Space opera? Science Fiction? Some say it's fantasy, I personally don't really care about genre classification.
                I always thought it was...

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY4IHK8snSE

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/..._Princess_Leia

its like 11 dollars for the audio book on amazon or 8 for a copy of paper back

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Cou...=UTF8&qid=&sr=
                  i think this has a fun quarky beginning for what it is, it is cute, then it gets a bit crazy because uhhhmm han solo goes out of control and commits a few major crimes.... like .... hes going from smuggler to pirate crazy

Comment

My boys are 22,21,15, and 12, and yep, they are all still living here. I do censor books up to a point, but my older boys are legally adults so they are free to read whatever they want.
                    Could you give some examples on what you don't allow your 12-year-old or 15-year-old to read?
                    sigpic

Comment

Jean M. Auell probably doesn't make the cut.

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                        Could you give some examples on what you don't allow your 12-year-old or 15-year-old to read?
                        Or rather, what you think your 15-year-old isn't reading...
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          Or rather, what you think your 15-year-old isn't reading...

Comment

Im sure its just for the articles
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              will Leia & Solo hook up? will Obiwan & Luke be able to rescue Leia? train Luke in the Force, will Yoda? does Chewbacca have fleas? stay tuned for next episode!

you seriously made that comparison?

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                                you seriously made that comparison?
                                I thought it was.

Comment

Working...
                                X