No announcement yet.

Suggestions for a fantasy book series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprised that no one mentioned The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson. I had the first trilogy as assigned reading in high school. The second trilogy I read on my own, but it wasn't as good as the first. The last series (4 books instead of 3) dragged on too long. I'd still go back and read the first trilogy again (and probably will some day).

There are some major adult themes and lots of violence, etc., but obviously if it was okay to be assigned reading in high school in the late 70's/early 80's, it can't be that bad.

Comment

I couldn't get into them. The character of Covenant himself was what we here in the West of Scotland refer to as "A moaning-faced b*****d". I just wanted to punch him in the face.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I just finished Age of Myth by Michael J. Sullivan, and it was a good read. It's not as complex a world build as Tolkien's work, but it was enough to compel me to buy the second of the three book series before I finished it.

Comment

Working...
        X