Suggestions for a fantasy book series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for a fantasy book series

I am looking for a fantasy series to read. Any suggestions? My favorite is The Belgariad by David Eddings, if that gives a frame of reference.

I know some but can you give me a list of what you have read
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

It's been a long time since I have a good series.

I have read Dragonlance books, The Riftwar Saga, The Wheel of Time ( through book eight), Daughter of The Empire. I have been reading books along with my kids for the past 15 years. I liked Ranger's Apprentice and The Brotherband Chronicles.

Comment

I recently read “The Shadow of What Was Lost” by James Islington. It borrows a few beats from the Wheel of Time series, but it’s innovative enough to feel fresh. One bad note: this is book 1 of a trilogy, and only the first two have been released, so it may be a little while till the final book hits shelves.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

You should go finish Wheel of Time
          Jelgate is right

Comment

I will wait then. I hate waiting for the next in a series, which is what kept happening with Wheel of Time since book 6. I read it a loooonnnggg time ago.

Also my niece suggested The Aeronaut's Windless by Jim Butcher, which I really liked. Unfortunately, the second book isn't out yet, nor for a while, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              I read it 20 years ago, not sure if I want to again.

Comment

I started "Wheel of Time" some time ago, made it about half way through book 6, but by then it seemed that the story was being drawn out to make more books.

Was a pretty good computer game, too.

Comment

Originally posted by BethHG View Post
                  I read it 20 years ago, not sure if I want to again.
                  Don't know what you are missing. Its probably my favorite fantasy series. Granted its long
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    I finished it years ago, I was talking to you and Matt as I went
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Does it have a definite ending? It seemed a bit dragged out in book eight, but maybe I thought that because book 9 was at least another year away from being released. Didn't his son finish writing the series? I thought that I read that somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by BethHG View Post
                        Does it have a definite ending? It seemed a bit dragged out in book eight, but maybe I thought that because book 9 was at least another year away from being released. Didn't his son finish writing the series? I thought that I read that somewhere.
                        Jordan died, and then Brandon Sanderson put out the final three books in very short time. I believe he was selected by Jordan’s widow for the job.

Comment

It does end. I will admit it does drag on but the positive outweighs the negatives. Robert Jordan did die before finishing the series but his wife picked another author to finish the books

EDIT: Curse you Rob
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Love you too, jelly

Comment

Brandon Sanderson is a favorite author of my two older sons. In fact, my second son just handed Warbreaker to me, and told me that I need to read it.

I will think about continuing The Wheel of Time someday-- it is just so very long to start over from the beginning.

Comment

Working...
                              X