Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Which character would you move to a new SG spin-off?

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    As far as the Asgard are concerned, I wasn't crazy about that story line, but it would pass in a new series.
    I want a Thor action figure. Anybody know if there is one?

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    And a little 5mins fan fiction:
    The Unas as a race could be "upgraded" if they could introduce a smaller Goa'uld or ex-System Lord, who still has got a Unas host or all his/her Guards are Unas as well. Plot twist would be that they know about their master that he/she is not a god, but they could learn so much from him/her and he was willing to educate them as their leader. This way we could introduce a smaller galactic empire where everyone is Unas. They could learn how to fly spaceships and how to build their own technology or culture and they would even learn how to communicate with other alien races. And it could be interesting what would happen if this "civilized" Unas would meet with the "barbaric" Unas group. Would they merge into a big Unas tribe? And how the world would treat the Unas after they can not be slaved anymore? etc.
    They don't even need to limit themselves to the Unas. When the first one was introduced back in "Thor's Hammer," Teal'c explained that there were a number of races older than humans who had served as hosts for the Goa'uld. Returning to not just one, but a diverse line-up of past and new alien hosts could revitalize the Goa'uld as an enemy. If the lesser Goa'uld are capable of banding together and creating a hierarchy where the majority of their population agrees to serve as warriors (this has traditionally been a problem for the Goa'uld because their genetic memory makes them all think they are equals and thus they had been severely limiting their own population to prevent insurrections), they can be a real threat again. And if producers take advantage of new technology and a hopefully bigger budget, they can substitute the varied mythological hook with having Goa'uld inhabit vastly different aliens with their own unique abilities.

Honestly the Goa'uld had a good run in SG-1, but a new spinoff would need new enemies. But it would be nice to keep the Goa'uld as "secondary" enemies. There would be so many options to introduce new races through them or maybe in Origins stories etc. The SG lore is quite rich, but we can always find new hidding alien allies or enemies. Even new gate networks, new gate protocolls, new discoveries could shake up this franchise.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Well, by taking advantage of new innovations and a penchant for giving programs like this higher budgets, the Goa'uld could be reinvented as a new enemy. There would be a level of familiarity, but if they're running around in many different alien bodies with different capabilities and their power structure has changed, it would be a very different Goa'uld.

Having a new enemy just to say it's new, when the Goa'uld have potential to morph into something fresh isn't necessarily the best approach.

I have always been a Goa'uld fan as they could introduce so many different aspect of Earth based cultures. I love the Erich van Daniken books, so the Stargate always reminded me to a possible alternate past. That is the reason I have felt in love with this show a long time ago.

The Wraith was okay, but I have never felt the same excited state when they told that they will announce a new Goa'uld every season. Even if the Wraith had different tattoos, I always considered them as Wraith hive 1, Wraith hive 2 etc. They have not even named the tribes or something. They could have been a more exciting enemy, if the Wraith could have fallen into different nations or fractions which have got a galaxy wide war with each other for food. Then we could learn more about their philosophy, their origins etc.

And there would be so much more mythology related creature which could be introduced as "aliens" in Stargate. If you check my "Milky way 2020" thread in the fan fiction section, I have tried to brainstorm a few ideas there.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633