Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Star Trek TV on the way! Possibly including...Patrick Stewart?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Star Trek TV on the way! Possibly including...Patrick Stewart?!

Via THR...

Alex Kurtzman Inks $25M Overall Deal Extension With CBS TV Studios, Will Expand 'Star Trek' TV Franchise

Kurtzman recently took over as showrunner on CBS All Access' 'Star Trek: Discovery,' exec produces CBS' 'Hawaii Five-0,' 'Scorpion' and 'Instinct,' and may live long and prosper with yet another show in the works.
    Alex Kurtzman is staying in business with CBS Television Studios.

The exec producer behind CBS All Access' Star Trek: Discovery has renewed his overall deal with CBS Television Studios, signing a massive five-year extension with the studio behind the latest entry in the long-running sci-fi franchise. The new agreement keeps Kurtzman, whose deal was up this year, with the studio through 2023. Sources say the deal is estimated at $5 million per year as Kurtzman receives a sizable backend on his programming.

Under the new pact, Kurtzman will serve as the Star Trek: Discovery's lone showrunner after taking over from Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg, who were recently fired from the series. Kurtzman will also expand the Star Trek franchise for the small screen, developing new series, miniseries and other content, including animation.

The new deal comes as rumblings about another Star Trek series, featuring Patrick Stewart reprising his role as Star Trek: The Next Generation's Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, have been getting louder. Sources say Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman, who left Discovery after season one, are attached to the Stewart-led reboot. CBS TV Studios declined to confirm the Stewart project as sources say a deal is far from completed and may not happen despite the fact that the actor recently teased his potential return to the franchise.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Great news. More ST spinoffs. I wish Stargate could return to TV in such a glorious way as well.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I hope they do it on broadcast, rather than paid service.

Comment

Variety claims the potential TV series include:
        • A series set at Starfleet Academy from creators Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz. The duo currently serve as co-showrunners on the Hulu-Marvel series “Runaways” and are best known for creating shows like “Gossip Girl” and the CW’s reboot of Dynasty.
        • A limited series whose plot details are being kept under wraps.
        • A limited series based around the “Wrath of Khan” story. Khan’s full name is Khan Noonien Singh. He was famously portrayed by Ricardo Montalbán in both the original series episode “Space Seed” and again in the film “Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan.” Benedict Cumberbatch then played the character in the 2013 film “Star Trek Into Darkness.”
        • An animated series whose plot details are being kept under wraps.

BUT they present no proof, and CBS confirmed none of these, so take with a hefty serving of salt.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I'd be content with something like an anthology series that dealt with different points in the Trek Timeline.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Maybe I should give Discovery another chance. I couldn't stomach it after only two episodes which I know is hardly a fair shake. But if more is coming, especially with Stewart! ...I'll try to make it through. Ha.

Comment

As always, take with a very large grain of salt, but via ComicBook.com:

Patrick Stewart Reportedly Has "Verbal Agreement" to Return to 'Star Trek' in 2019

Patrick Stewart may be closer to reprising his role as Captain Jean-Luc Picard from Star Trek: The Next Generation than initially thought.

Rumors broke last week that Stewart is in early discussions to reprise his role as the lead of a new Star Trek series. Those initial reports suggested that Stewart and CBS were still only having very early conversations and that the deal may not come together at all.

However, a report from the Mirror suggests that deal is actually much closer to being finalized than initially reported. Stewart and CBS reportedly already have a verbal agreement in place, implying that all that is left is to work out the details of the contract and to sign. That's no small thing - contracts are complicated and take time and deals fall apart in the negotiations stage all of the time - but it implies that CBS is beyond having to convince Stewart to come back and that he is actually already willing to do so.

The Mirror's source reportedly stated that “Patrick is *looking pretty good to get back on board the Enterprise. There are some aspects of the deal to be finalized, but there is a verbal commitment from all parties. An announcement will be made in the next few weeks and the show should be out next year.”

The initial report of Stewart's return followed closely after CBS announced a deal with Star Trek: Discovery co-creator Alex Kurtzman and his production banner Secret Hideout to expand the Star Trek television franchise.

The initial report on Stewart's return also referred to the project as a “reboot,” leaving it unclear as to whether this project could be a reboot or revival of Star Trek: The Next Generation or something a little different in concept. The Mirror's source specifically refers to Stewart returning to Enterprise, which seems to back up the Next Generation reboot theory, but it's possible that this was more of an off-handed remark than a comment based on insider knowledge.

CBS has so far declined to comment and on Stewart's possible return, but Stewart did recently hint that he may need to catch up on his Star Trek.

Comment

The return of Patrick Stewart: CONFIRMED!

Comment

Good news. I hope that new series will be more canonic than Discovery because in my opinion canon is more important part in movies/tv-shows/games.
                  sigpic

Comment

Quick update on the TV franchise...

The producers did talk about how they hoped to roll out the various shows in the planned expansion of the Star Trek television universe. When asked about CBS Studios David Stapf’s comments from August saying there “should be a Star Trek something on all the time on All Access,” Kadin confirmed with TrekMovie that the plan is to not have Star Trek shows overlap. She also noted they plan to have breaks between the various Trek shows, to build up fan anticipation.

To me that sounds a little contradictory, but I guess we’ll see!

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      Quick update on the TV franchise...

To me that sounds a little contradictory, but I guess we’ll see!
                      Well it was two separate higher ups talking so Stapf may have just been getting a bit over enthused while Kadin was being more practical. Or possibly it could mean that they will alternate shows a little bit so you have one show one year and then instead of working immediately on the new season they roll out a new show the following year instead. Which may suck for fans of a given show but at the same time if they use that time to make sure they absolutely nail the scripts down then I am all for it. One of the biggest issues with Trek back in the day was that writers would just get over worked and burnt out and you get things like Enterprise season 2 *shudders*
                      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                      X