This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

June's Theme - Embracing the World Cup

While soccer may not be a big thing here in the states, we know that's not true world wide. Courtesy of Falcon Horus, we can all enjoy a bit of sporting fun as we have a soccer theme for a bit.

So grab a ball, beverage of your choice and cheer on your favorite team.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

I love it!

So, I'm coach ... hm, lets think about who I want to be.
    Not Loew for sure but maybe the Icelandic coach. He's a dentist in "real" life. Sounds interesting
    sigpic

Comment

Wow! I know the theme before it is over
      sigpic

Comment

*giggles*

Yay! Belgium is gearing up to our first match on Monday against Panama. Almost all offices will guaranteed be watching or streaming it somewhere.

Russia opened against Saudi-Arabia today. They won 5 to zip, and are the first team to score 3 points in their group. Unfortunately, they still have to play the better teams in their group, Egypt & Uruguy.

While I'm obviously cheering for our national Red Devils team, I'll also be cheering for Iceland. Those players probably had to take days off from work to go and play the World Cup.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

If anyone wants to know their rank, here's a handy guide to soccer terms: Complete Guide to Soccer Terms, by the Metro-Miami Soccer Club

Comment

Just checking to see what I am.

I'm a goalkeeper. Would be better if my favorite club team's 'keeper hadn't given up three today to Portugal.
            I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
              I'm a goalkeeper. Would be better if my favorite club team's 'keeper hadn't given up three today to Portugal.
              Portugal equally gave three to Spain.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                Portugal equally gave three to Spain.
                True but and good World Cup should mean a really on form 'keeper for the start of next season.
                I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Messi, for sure, will have cursed the Icelandic goalkeeper as he stopped his penalty.

Iceland totally gave Argentina hell --> 1-1 (not what Messi and his possy imagined, I'm betting)

Comment

Cool theme, I was actually a mid-field player when I played soccer as a kid.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                      Cool theme, I was actually a mid-field player when I played soccer as a kid.
                      I wanted to play as a kid but my parents didn't think soccer was a good sport for a girl...

Comment

Oye vey, sometimes I wanna smack those Belgian devils upside the head. What started as a snorefest in the first 47 minutes, became an exhilirating second half of the game. My favorite player made the first goal, and two followed in its wake.

That's 3-0 in the game Belgium - Panama. Although the Panama team certainly deserved a goal too. They were pretty decent players though they may want to ease up on the faults cause you really don't want to collect too many yellow cards in a game -- and they had 6 players with a yellow card each. And two yellows make a red and that means sitting the next game out.

Comment

Its not the World Cup without a riot or two
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            Its not the World Cup without a riot or two
                            As long as there are no broken bones... or permanent injuries.

LOL'd at one of the Panama players near the end though. He had muscle cramps and just sat down in the middle of the field, instead of on the side. The ref had to shoo him off.

Comment

Well, the group phases are coming to an end. Most of the qualifiers are known.

Portugal apparently came close to not making it through the next round, after a bysmal display in their game against Iran. Nevertheless, so far Russia, Uruguay, Spain and Portugal are through to the next round, so is Germany, Belgium and England (although, these last two still have to battle who takes the group win -- that will be thursday evening).

Comment

Working...
                              X