Was Jonas underrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
    Yes! Yes he was. I always liked Jonas and I've always been a little disappointed at the less-than-warm reaction you tend to see for him. I really would have liked to have seen where they took his advanced physiology storyline.
    I didn't mind Jonas to be honest with you. I think it was just that Daniel Jackson was such a BIG key character that his death kind of left some people with a bitter taste. It's hard to be the character that "replaces" a popular character in a series, but i didn't mind him.

Spoiler:

MCSHEP FOREVER!!!!!!!!
    Sheppard <3's Rodney! YAY! LOLS!
    Happily floating in Mckay Heaven <3
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
      Maybe the whole story was based on some kind of real events, but then somebody added this and that...
      That's actually quite likely.

Historically, sailors have had a lot of time on their hands to come up with stories, and humans are really adept at filling in unknowns with their imagination, which is great for sailors because until recently so much of the ocean was a mystery to them. They had no idea what was out there if they charted a course away from the coast, they would only get glimpses into what life was like under the water when that life surfaced (those glimpses could easily be distorted at night, during poor weather, or in any case where visibility is low), and they often knew little about the biology of the animals they did encounter.

Imagine you're an ancient sailor and one of your crew goes overboard and vanishes while at the same time there's a whale spotting. It wouldn't be difficult to make the leap that the whale ate your crew mate if you don't know that whales don't do that. Add having a lot of time on your hands and it's not difficult to start surmising that whales are big enough to swallow a person whole so maybe such a person would be able to live in a whale's stomach for awhile. Repeating such speculation could easily morph into a story that takes on a life on its own.

Alternatively, it's possible to imagine someone who goes overboard and miraculously survives adrift for an unusually long period of time. It happens from time to time today and when these stories make the news what interests us is learning the reality of how they managed to do it, so if you're keen on capitalizing on people's attention, you don't want to veer too much from the truth. You may embellish or make up facts to make it a little more interesting, but you're not going to do anything too crazy that will make people discount you entirely. In the past, though, magical thinking was a large part of people's lives, so if you were seeking attention and wanted to make something out of our story, you add some extra flare. Maybe a mermaid saved you or you weren't actually adrift, you were in the belly of a whale most of the time and you are only alive because you made a daring escape.

One of the best ways to see this phenomenon is to look at travel literature from a few hundreds years ago. Starting with Marco Polo to the age of exploration, we have a lot of texts detailing both real and completely made up journeys and the ones that did best were the ones that had a bit of flare to it whether that be sightings of mythological monsters or strange people who had tails, a foot on their head, etc. In some instances we even have different versions, so we can see how fantastical elements are added, not necessarily by the original traveler, but by subsequent writers.

By the way, I don't remember exactly what happens in the Pinocchio movie, but it's kind of comical in the book and not at all presented as a scary situation. There's a sardonic talking fish who has gallows humor about frying pans and whatnot and the whole situation is resolved rather easily within the span of a few paragraphs.
      Last edited by Xaeden; 30 May 2019, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I wasn't a fan of Jonas. They rushed the character in too fast and he had almost none of the knowledge and expertise Daniel had. I didn't like any changes to the original SG1 character set but any SG1 was better than none I guess.

We need a new Stargate with a new SG team that partners with a new ally, a Goa'uld system Lord. The Goa'uld are now more like the Tok'ra who try to make the universe a better place rather than terrorizing. Maybe SGX, a new team of three humans and one Goa'uld (not a Jaffa).

Comment

I liked Jonas, he reminded me of early SG-1 Sam and Daniel. No experience with gate travel so he had a zest for it whereas our team had become jaded by this point. He was also very versatile due to him being an evolutionary higher evolved human. So he was part Sam, part Daniel.

However it sometimes felt they made him too good at everything, including holding his breath under water for minutes with no problem whatsoever. And a lot of times during first contacts they had him speak first instead of it always being O'Neill, more so than they ever did with Daniel.

Comment

I really would have liked to have seen where they intended to take Jonas with all that advanced genetics angle.
            sigpic
            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by gate101 View Post
              However it sometimes felt they made him too good at everything, including holding his breath under water for minutes with no problem whatsoever. And a lot of times during first contacts they had him speak first instead of it always being O'Neill, more so than they ever did with Daniel.
              I honestly didn't notice that until you mentioned it, but now that I think about it, there were times when I felt they made Jonas too good of a character, but it never bothered me, I love that he was so driven and so eager to learn and I love how observant he was, he contributed so much to the team, and it's a shame he was only on the show for 1 season. Even though I understand Daniel was such a big and important character to the show, but surely the team still had room for 5 members, I don't see why they couldn't just keep Jonas and still have Daniel back at the same time.

Comment

I think in some way he was underrated. At least he could have appeared occasionally in later episodes. It is really pity. Also 5 member team would work good for me.

Comment

I definitely think that he was underrated I would wish him return back in a few episodes (even some dead characters appeared again) or a few mentions during the series. But forgetting of former characters is quite typical for this TV series - a lot of friendly characters were hardly mentioned again after their departure (Jacob, Janet, Jack, Martouf, Kawalsky). Ironically enough, former enemies were referred more often than these friendly ones. (Apophis was mentioned for the rest of the series occasionally, for example)

This is one thing which I do not like in relation with Daniel. He was the only character who got constant mentions after his departure and we could see how other characters coped with his leaving. You can correct me but this did not happen with any other character. And I read that Michael Shanks was bothered that his departure did not get enough focus and was thinking "What is he talking about?" He got such attention above any other character and even this was not enough for him?
                  Last edited by Manche; 21 August 2020, 11:57 AM.

Comment

That thing about Michael Shanks I didn't know.
                    I think you are right, his "death" was pretty devastating, especially for Sam and also for Teal'c.
                    I like when remaining characters mention characters that are not there anymore. It is something nice and shows me that there has been a history,which bounded them together.

Comment

Originally posted by AmFor View Post
                      That thing about Michael Shanks I didn't know.
                      I think you are right, his "death" was pretty devastating, especially for Sam and also for Teal'c.
                      I read about it on this website a few years ago, there was a link to the interview with him as well (it was published in a magazine). Maybe you can still find it somewhere on the forum, but I do not remember where I found it exactly. He complained that his replacement was introduced in the same episode as he was leaving and that it weakened the impact of his leaving. I personally disagree with this statement, as I said, not other leaving character did not get the focus of such big extents.

Comment

Interesting.
                        I wouldn't say that introducing Jonas made such an impresion. He was part of the episode like other characters.

Comment

If you wanted to read more about this, I think that it was somewhere mentioned in this topic: https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...-Contemplation

The problem is that this topic has over 900 pages, so who wants to find more he needs to have time. A lot of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Manche View Post
                            If you wanted to read more about this, I think that it was somewhere mentioned in this topic: https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...-Contemplation

The problem is that this topic has over 900 pages, so who wants to find more he needs to have time. A lot of time.
                            Thank you, but 900 pages is too much

Comment

Working...
                            X