Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Was Jonas underrated?

Does anyone know if Michael Shanks/Daniel was ever intended to come back or he initially was going to leave the show permanently? Because I had the impression that Corin Nemec/Jonas was initially only suppose to replace Michael/Daniel temporarily for 1 season, and when Michael came back they dropped Jonas...I get the feeling that they never intended to make Jonas a permanent member of the team anyway, he was just keeping Daniel's seat warm for a while until Daniel came back. Jonas was very under-rated and under-appreciated on the show, he was a great character and I think many fans eventually grown to like him too and wanted him to stay, preferably I would've wanted Jonas to become a permanent member of SG-1 and continue to work with the team for the rest of the seasons, but I wouldn't have minded if he joined Atlantis either. But instead he only came back for 1 last guest appearance in 1 ep in S7 and that was the last we ever saw of him, he was never mentioned again after that, I think Corin/Jonas deserved better.

Lieutenant Colonel Stargate Atlantis Girl's Avatar

^I’m not sure about Michael Shanks, but I agree with you, Jonas deserved way better than he got. I normally hate when they replace a character and can’t stand it when they introduce a new one, but I really liked Jonas, he brought a lighter feel to the team and he at least deserved one more season with SG-1. For most of season six he seemed to be just warming up to the team and when we finally got to enjoy his character they just pushed him out to have Daniel come back again. Don’t get me wrong, I love Daniel, but it was just disappointing to see how they just disregarded the character so easily and never made him at least a reoccurring character like Jacob and Bre’tac.
    Just because something is unknown, does not necessarily mean that it needs to be feared. Trust yourself, and the rest will unfold. ~Teyla Emmagen~

Yes! Yes he was. I always liked Jonas and I've always been a little disappointed at the less-than-warm reaction you tend to see for him. I really would have liked to have seen where they took his advanced physiology storyline.

Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

I liked Jonas. Wish he had had a more alien sounding name though.

I mean...Corin Nemec sounds more alien than Jonas Quinn.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    I liked Jonas. Wish he had had a more alien sounding name though.

I mean...Corin Nemec sounds more alien than Jonas Quinn.
    ...I honestly never thought of it before but you aren’t wrong.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

We have joked about it a few times that so many main characters start with J : Jack, Jackson, John, Janet, Jolinar, Jennifer, Jacob, Jonas...

Jonas has got a cultural reference from the Bible :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonah
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    We have joked about it a few times that so many main characters start with J : Jack, Jackson, John, Janet, Jolinar, Jennifer, Jacob, Jonas...

Jonas has got a cultural reference from the Bible :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonah
    I thought Jonah and the Whale was a fable?
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Fairy tales - facts - legends - myths... You know there was always a small seperating wall between reality and fantasy. Maybe the whole story was based on some kind of real events, but then somebody added this and that...
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Fairy tales - facts - legends - myths... You know there was always a small seperating wall between reality and fantasy. Maybe the whole story was based on some kind of real events, but then somebody added this and that...
    Of course, I mean this was one of my favorite story as a kid it's a good story
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

It is much better to be digested alive in a whale... I have already hated the Disney version of Pinoccio, but that whale was so scarry as a child (and as adult). The Finding Nemo had at least a similar positive scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
    Yes! Yes he was. I always liked Jonas and I've always been a little disappointed at the less-than-warm reaction you tend to see for him. I really would have liked to have seen where they took his advanced physiology storyline.
    I didn't mind Jonas to be honest with you. I think it was just that Daniel Jackson was such a BIG key character that his death kind of left some people with a bitter taste. It's hard to be the character that "replaces" a popular character in a series, but i didn't mind him.
    http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/l...titled-1-2.jpg
    Spoiler:

MCSHEP FOREVER!!!!!!!!
    Sheppard <3's Rodney! YAY! LOLS!
    Happily floating in Mckay Heaven <3

Maybe the whole story was based on some kind of real events, but then somebody added this and that...
    That's actually quite likely.

Historically, sailors have had a lot of time on their hands to come up with stories, and humans are really adept at filling in unknowns with their imagination, which is great for sailors because until recently so much of the ocean was a mystery to them. They had no idea what was out there if they charted a course away from the coast, they would only get glimpses into what life was like under the water when that life surfaced (those glimpses could easily be distorted at night, during poor weather, or in any case where visibility is low), and they often knew little about the biology of the animals they did encounter.

Imagine you're an ancient sailor and one of your crew goes overboard and vanishes while at the same time there's a whale spotting. It wouldn't be difficult to make the leap that the whale ate your crew mate if you don't know that whales don't do that. Add having a lot of time on your hands and it's not difficult to start surmising that whales are big enough to swallow a person whole so maybe such a person would be able to live in a whale's stomach for awhile. Repeating such speculation could easily morph into a story that takes on a life on its own.

Alternatively, it's possible to imagine someone who goes overboard and miraculously survives adrift for an unusually long period of time. It happens from time to time today and when these stories make the news what interests us is learning the reality of how they managed to do it, so if you're keen on capitalizing on people's attention, you don't want to veer too much from the truth. You may embellish or make up facts to make it a little more interesting, but you're not going to do anything too crazy that will make people discount you entirely. In the past, though, magical thinking was a large part of people's lives, so if you were seeking attention and wanted to make something out of our story, you add some extra flare. Maybe a mermaid saved you or you weren't actually adrift, you were in the belly of a whale most of the time and you are only alive because you made a daring escape.

One of the best ways to see this phenomenon is to look at travel literature from a few hundreds years ago. Starting with Marco Polo to the age of exploration, we have a lot of texts detailing both real and completely made up journeys and the ones that did best were the ones that had a bit of flare to it whether that be sightings of mythological monsters or strange people who had tails, a foot on their head, etc. In some instances we even have different versions, so we can see how fantastical elements are added, not necessarily by the original traveler, but by subsequent writers.

By the way, I don't remember exactly what happens in the Pinocchio movie, but it's kind of comical in the book and not at all presented as a scary situation. There's a sardonic talking fish who has gallows humor about frying pans and whatnot and the whole situation is resolved rather easily within the span of a few paragraphs.
    Last edited by Xaeden; May 30th, 2019 at 10:53 AM.