• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abaddon's Gate (313)

Visit the Episode GuideTHE EXPANSE - SEASON THREE
    ABADDON'S GATE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 313
    Ashford sets himself on modifying the Behemoth's laser transmitter to destroy the ring, as Drummer and the Rocinante crew hatch their own plan after Holden claims that he has a way to stop the alien station -- pitting the two factions against one another, with the fate of the human race at stake.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 03 February 2021, 09:56 PM.

So can anyone tell me if that was the end of Book 3 adapted? Or was it like a midway point or something?
    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
      So can anyone tell me if that was the end of Book 3 adapted? Or was it like a midway point or something?
      Yeah that's pretty much the end of Book 3. They really didn't cut many things that are major out of it but they managed to do all of book three in half a season. So season 4 can cut straight into book 4.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Well, it was a good season ender.

But I sure noticed the somewhat artificial way of pitting all known characters against each other in the end. I'm not entirely sure the differences between Ashford and co. and Holden and co. needed to end with gunfire, particularly after Ashford was revealed to be a surprisingly capable leader the previous episode. Again, all of the action felt more like artificially created while most of the characters were ready to listen (or should have been, based on previous characterization).

All of that leads me - surprisingly - to my biggest question for next season: Will Belters be able to work together, given both Ashford and Drummer survived and killed for their beliefs? Assuming we'll even get those characters next season at all.

But yes, plenty possibilities for next season indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by TOIVA View Post
          Well, it was a good season ender.

But I sure noticed the somewhat artificial way of pitting all known characters against each other in the end. I'm not entirely sure the differences between Ashford and co. and Holden and co. needed to end with gunfire, particularly after Ashford was revealed to be a surprisingly capable leader the previous episode. Again, all of the action felt more like artificially created while most of the characters were ready to listen (or should have been, based on previous characterization).

All of that leads me - surprisingly - to my biggest question for next season: Will Belters be able to work together, given both Ashford and Drummer survived and killed for their beliefs? Assuming we'll even get those characters next season at all.

But yes, plenty possibilities for next season indeed.
          It was a little rushed maybe but I don't think it felt artificial. The thing is that we as a viewer have the benefit of hindsight. From Ashford's point of view, Holden is crazy, and thinks that he's only got one chance to save all of humanity. By the time it got to the whole idea that this could be an extinction level event, Ashford probably could care less why Drummer was helping Holden. He probably assumed it was just out of some misplaced sense of loyalty given that they had worked together before and she was close with Naomi. Also from his point of view the ring had shown no signs of being anything other than a threat, which the UN and MCN Commanders agreed with him on. After all, the ring and the slow-zone came from the same place as the proto-molecule. The same thing that had killed everyone on Eros, and had taken over and killed everyone aboard a UN battleship.

Comment

Err, it's not hindsight, I was already saying "no, no, no" throughout the episode.
            Thing is, I entirely understand Ashford's take on the situation, and it was in character for him. I just don't quite see how he started killing and gunning people for it. Unlike Drummer, he was previously the one advocating for moderation and often (paradoxally) the voice of reason.

But hey, I still love the Expanse. I'm just *****ing cause those Belters were my favourite characters this season.

Comment

I'm just chalking it up to Ashford panicking because literally the entire human race was depending on him (and the other faction leaders) to make the right decision.

That could make anyone crack.
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah that's what I reckoned also. I mean he's experienced but he was also basically just a privateer before then. He's not used to making this level of life and death call.

Comment

Exactly.

There's pressure when your men are counting on you to see them through it all and then a different kind of pressure when humanity is (unknowingly) relying on you.

I mean they were even unable to contact the rest of the fleet on the outside to tell them what was going on, or relay a message to Earth, Mars, or the Belt.

Too much pressure, and not enough time to do anything.

Realistically speaking, Ashford was making the right call to try to destroy the ring and save humanity. Was it a bit misguided? Sure. But he was ready to sacrifice himself and the thousands of other humans stuck inside in order to do it. It's a lot to ask of someone.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X