The Expanse - Stargate sequel in disguise? SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Expanse - Stargate sequel in disguise? SPOILERS

In the latest season of The Expanse we have seen the 'Ring' which turns out to be pretty much a Stargate.

The Ring network, alternately known as the Gate network, Gateway network, or the wormhole network, or simply collectively referred to as the gates, is an ancient complex system of 1,373 artificially sustained traversable wormholes that connect star systems across the Milky Way galaxy. Credited with its creation, the Ring Builders used this enormous network to expand beyond their home star system and, eventually, establish a thriving interstellar empire around 2,000,000,000 BCE, dominating the Milky Way. The network managed to survive even after the Ring Builder empire's dissolution.

Sound familiar?

It works differently however. Instead of being 'planet to planet' Its more like being connected to a HUB or 'Slow Zone' where a Ring station can be found which controls the network.

I really love this concept, Its certainly interesting.

Having watched and read The Expanse, i'd say it's NOTHING like stargate.

Comment

At first when I saw the Ring I was half-expecting to see Ori toilet-bowls coming out
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

No.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
          At first when I saw the Ring I was half-expecting to see Ori toilet-bowls coming out
          They did mention anticipating an enemy fleet coming out and annihilating them.

And damn, the ring is big. That shot last episode where The Behemoth went though... god it's hundreds if not thousands of kilometers across. Really puts the Ori Supergate to shame.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            They did mention anticipating an enemy fleet coming out and annihilating them.

And damn, the ring is big. That shot last episode where The Behemoth went though... god it's hundreds if not thousands of kilometers across. Really puts the Ori Supergate to shame.
            Yeah its nothing like stargate, but the concept is really similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Surasonac View Post
              Not... really... The gate is round... That's about it.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                Not... really... The gate is round... That's about it.
                Did you even read my original post. The description and story behind it is almost the same as stargate. Much more than 'just being round'

Comment

Funny enough, I have just moaned about the same on the Hungarian SG forum. I haven't watched the Expanse yet, but the concept of a space gate network sounds like Stargate. But a similar technology was also used in Mass Effect ad Babylon 5, while these three scifi realms are completly different from each other as it has rather served as a plot device to clash different races. And what I have heard about the Expanse, they have also established a very deep mythology of their own, so we will see how this opportunity will be built into the new earlier stories.
                  Last edited by Platschu; 10 June 2018, 02:31 PM.
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                    Funny enough, I have just moaned about the same on the Hungarian SG forum. I haven't watched the Expanse yet, but the concept of a space gate network sounds like Stargate. But a similar technology was also used in Mass Effect ad Babylon 5, while these three scifi realms are completly different from each other as it has rather served as a plot device to clash different races. And what I have heard about the Expanse, they have also established a very deep mythology of their own, so we will see how this oppurtinity will be built into the new earlier stories.
                    Oh man I remember those gates in babylon 5. Those put ships into hyperspace though, no wormholes involved. That was a great series though, one of my favorites.

Comment

Those put ships into hyperspace though, no wormholes involved.
                      Doesn't really matter, it's a similar principle.

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                      Funny enough, I have just moaned about the same on the Hungarian SG forum. I haven't watched the Expanse yet, but the concept of a space gate network sounds like Stargate.
                      The actual authors pointed out on twitter that Stargate wasn't the first to do such gates or round objects either.

That i disagree with too. The core of the Expanse is that going to space won't magically solve all problems, and that real First Contact won't be about the aliens we meet, but rather about how we deal with that. Stargate was entirely the opposite, about meeting aliens and learning about them, and going to space tended to magically solve our problems. The Gates aren't problem solving machines either, unlike the Stargate which is a major plot device in the series.

It's kind of like suggesting BSG is like Foundation because both feature ships, religion and mankind starting over.

Comment

Did you even read my original post. The description and story behind it is almost the same as stargate. Much more than 'just being round'
                        In the broadest sense sure. But comparing the two is like saying a tomato and a banana are the same because they're both fruit. Or to use a narrative example, that all murder mystery novels must have the same villain because they all murdered somebody.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          Doesn't really matter, it's a similar principle.

The actual authors pointed out on twitter that Stargate wasn't the first to do such gates or round objects either.

That i disagree with too. The core of the Expanse is that going to space won't magically solve all problems, and that real First Contact won't be about the aliens we meet, but rather about how we deal with that. Stargate was entirely the opposite, about meeting aliens and learning about them, and going to space tended to magically solve our problems. The Gates aren't problem solving machines either, unlike the Stargate which is a major plot device in the series.

It's kind of like suggesting BSG is like Foundation because both feature ships, religion and mankind starting over.
                          Sorry Killman, I feel like I just repeated your point again.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                            Sorry Killman, I feel like I just repeated your point again.
                            No problem man, i'm hardly the first to bring this up.

Comment

Working...
                            X