Michael Shanks on Zats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Shanks on Zats

"The idea of brandishing a penis at the aliens wasn't at all appealing to say the least."

I just had to share. I wonder if this had a hand in why zats were never used in SGA.

sigpic
    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
    "The idea of brandishing a penis at the aliens wasn't at all appealing to say the least."

I just had to share. I wonder if this had a hand in why zats were never used in SGA.
    I saw that video last week. I laughed so hard. But yea, this explains why they weren't used as much. It's also the first time i learned about the little movement it makes during firing.

Comment

I thought they weren't used in Stargate Atlantis to maintain some sense of the show's own identity. Can't recall where I heard that, though.
      sigpic
      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Fun thing, I always kinda liked the zat's. But at the same time, I thought they were kinda dumb, because of that said thing: One stuns, two kills and three makes the body disappear.
        Never watched SGA, so I can't say anything about why zat's weren't used in that show, but I'm sure they had their reasons not to use them...

Comment

I always noted that Daniel never carried a zat but I always figured it was just a choice to add a little variation to the group.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
            And we'll never look at a zat quite same way again....

Thanks for that image, Michael.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by RedDevil View Post
              Fun thing, I always kinda liked the zat's. But at the same time, I thought they were kinda dumb, because of that said thing: One stuns, two kills and three makes the body disappear.
              Never watched SGA, so I can't say anything about why zat's weren't used in that show, but I'm sure they had their reasons not to use them...
              Well they kinda had a ton of Wraith stunners around...
              Spoiler:
              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

To be fair, they did get rid of the third shot thing pretty quick. That disappears after 1969. TPTB thought it was stupid too.
                sigpic
                Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                  Well they kinda had a ton of Wraith stunners around...
                  Well, if that's the case, it makes sense. It's actually no-brainer. And it probably fits the theme of that show better, than zat anyways.

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                  To be fair, they did get rid of the third shot thing pretty quick. That disappears after 1969. TPTB thought it was stupid too.
                  Ah, now thinking of it, yes. they did. I haven't watched Stargate for over a year, so didn't really remember that. Might need to re-watch them again...

Comment

Ah, now thinking of it, yes. they did. I haven't watched Stargate for over a year, so didn't really remember that. Might need to re-watch them again...
                    You're always welcome to join the rewatch -- we're at season 4, nearing the end.

Comment

I saw that and I was laughing my ass off

Falcon Horus you're right... I cant see the zat the same way now

Comment

Originally posted by Sakura View Post
                        I just rewatched Prodigy which prominently features the zat, and I constantly kept hearing Michael in my head.

Comment

To be clear, it was never explicitly retconned. They simply stopped using anything beyond the first shot, never mentioned the 3-shot system again and eventually made a joke about it in a Wormhole Xtreme episode.

Originally posted by Sakura View Post
                          It's funny because on screen it seems like they did put some effort into hiding it's phallic nature. It's worst when viewed from the side, but most shots feature it from the front.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            It's funny because on screen it seems like they did put some effort into hiding it's phallic nature. It's worst when viewed from the side, but most shots feature it from the front.
                            Which is funny in on itself, because I certainly never thought it looked like phallic.

Does this proof my mind is simply not in the gutter that often?

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              Which is funny in on itself, because I certainly never thought it looked like phallic.

Does this proof my mind is simply not in the gutter that often?
                              I didn't realize it either until i saw the video.

Comment

Working...
                              X