Jack SG-1 Without Richard Dean Anderson

I've been watching Legend, a science fiction/western starring Richard Dean Anderson and John de Lancie. I'm really enjoying the show and kind of sad that it didn't take off. At the same time, though I wonder what if it had and it lasted for more than a year or two.

Legend started in mid-1995, and SG-1 started production two years later in February '97. If Legend had been a success and made RDA unavailable, how would have SG-1 turned out with someone else playing O'Neill? Would it have been as successful?

"Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
    Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Default Re: SG-1 Without Richard Dean Anderson

That's actually hard question to answer...
    Though, to me, SG-1 is RDA, since O'Neill was my favorite character alongside Teal'c, of course.
    This here might be one of those "yeas and no" answers. We simply can't know for sure.
    Of course, if RDA would of been unavailable, whoever would of gotten cast as O'Neill would of done the part his own way. Which again, leads to the answer of: yes and no. In the end, we just can't say for sure, if it would of been as successful, as it was with RDA...

We will never know of course, but to me, the fact we had Mitchell for the last seasons was simply not the same than RDA.

Successful? Most likely. As enjoyable? imo not.

Chief Master Sergeant

you know... i think i know why i like his character so much, he is harrison ford in starwars, and tealc is chewie... seriously :/ they are the crew of hte millinium falcon with two other copilots working for a large government/syndicate/smuggler agency etc or corporation if you want to take it that way, and the corporation has feuding agents and leaders as far as morality and ethics vs profit and efficiency...

its really a great hidden asset to have characters who can fill in those roles and act out those storylines etc

Chief Master Sergeant Who Knows's Avatar

Tough question to answer. But then again we have accepted James Bond in all his incarnations over, what. 24 movies.
    So, if we had not had RDA in the first place, then maybe Brendon Fraser. I know, "George of the Jungle", total rubbish, but the three 'Mummy' movies - a mix of fighting & comedy.
    As mentioned above, Harrison Ford of Star Wars fame would have been a good choice.

But to go back to McClance's (the OP) question. RDA is/was good in the part, but it is not only the actors, it is the writers who come up with the plots & the episodes to keep us interested, and towards the end they were getting jaded, then they lost it completely for me with the Ori.

I agree that the writers and directors did their part in making sure the show was kept interesting and fun. As did the other actors and the chemistry between them. But, I think part of what made O'Neill so popular was the humor, a lot of which came out of RDA's improvising.

"Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
    Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching