SG-1 Without Richard Dean Anderson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG-1 Without Richard Dean Anderson

I've been watching Legend, a science fiction/western starring Richard Dean Anderson and John de Lancie. I'm really enjoying the show and kind of sad that it didn't take off. At the same time, though I wonder what if it had and it lasted for more than a year or two.

Legend started in mid-1995, and SG-1 started production two years later in February '97. If Legend had been a success and made RDA unavailable, how would have SG-1 turned out with someone else playing O'Neill? Would it have been as successful?
    sigpic
    "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
    Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

That's actually hard question to answer...
    Though, to me, SG-1 is RDA, since O'Neill was my favorite character alongside Teal'c, of course.
    This here might be one of those "yeas and no" answers. We simply can't know for sure.
    Of course, if RDA would of been unavailable, whoever would of gotten cast as O'Neill would of done the part his own way. Which again, leads to the answer of: yes and no. In the end, we just can't say for sure, if it would of been as successful, as it was with RDA...

Comment

We will never know of course, but to me, the fact we had Mitchell for the last seasons was simply not the same than RDA.

Successful? Most likely. As enjoyable? imo not.
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

you know... i think i know why i like his character so much, he is harrison ford in starwars, and tealc is chewie... seriously :/ they are the crew of hte millinium falcon with two other copilots working for a large government/syndicate/smuggler agency etc or corporation if you want to take it that way, and the corporation has feuding agents and leaders as far as morality and ethics vs profit and efficiency...

its really a great hidden asset to have characters who can fill in those roles and act out those storylines etc

Comment

Tough question to answer. But then again we have accepted James Bond in all his incarnations over, what. 24 movies.
          So, if we had not had RDA in the first place, then maybe Brendon Fraser. I know, "George of the Jungle", total rubbish, but the three 'Mummy' movies - a mix of fighting & comedy.
          As mentioned above, Harrison Ford of Star Wars fame would have been a good choice.

But to go back to McClance's (the OP) question. RDA is/was good in the part, but it is not only the actors, it is the writers who come up with the plots & the episodes to keep us interested, and towards the end they were getting jaded, then they lost it completely for me with the Ori.
          http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

I agree that the writers and directors did their part in making sure the show was kept interesting and fun. As did the other actors and the chemistry between them. But, I think part of what made O'Neill so popular was the humor, a lot of which came out of RDA's improvising.
            sigpic
            "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
            Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

I know I'm probably in the minority with this opinion but I really did not like RDA's version of O'Neill very much anyway...sure he provided most of the comedic relief and I think that's probably the main reason fans love him so much, and there were times when I found him quite amusing. BUT there were also times when his sarcasm rubbed me the wrong way and I find his attitude towards some races rather rude, disrespectful, insensitive and I find that so annoying sometimes. I don't hate RDA's O'Neill, but I don't like him either, I personally find him barely tolerable most of the time, his character is just meh to me. I think he was slightly more tolerable when he got promoted to General and he commanded the SGC in S8, maybe it's because he was no longer going on missions with the team by that time so he had less interactions with the aliens and other races. I can tolerate O'Neill in smaller doses, but seeing him in every single ep was a bit too much for me.

I personally prefer Kurt Russell's version of O'Neill from the original Stargate movie, Russell's version was more serious and mature compared to RDA's version.
              Last edited by LindaL100; 17 April 2019, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X