what is the controversy about solo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is the controversy about solo

has any one heard about a controversy about solo or any thing, I have heard that there is some sort of dust up about it, what is it?

I have seen something about there being at least one star wars something coming out every year for the foreseeable future, I don't know if this is true or not, I don't remember where I saw it, it might have ben just some nerdlingers dream, or something, I hope not though, because it could over saturate the market and kill the franchise.

Try this, I gthink it is the one.

https://www.wired.com/2015/11/buildi...wars-universe/
    http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Some people are upset. No big deal. After 3 movies raked in 4 billion dollars, it's not like Disney will suddenly cancel their show. Nor is it surprising it did poorly, coming so soon after Infinity War and Deadpool 2.

Comment

It underperformed. Box office projection for long weekend was $130-150, only made $103 million. International is even less.

Considering a huge budget of over $250m, it may only break even. Disney paid $4? billion for LucasFilm.

Comment

Originally posted by EricG View Post

Considering a huge budget of over $250m, it may only break even. Disney paid $4? billion for LucasFilm.
          the previous 3 movies grossed for a combined 4 billion.

Comment

The online controversy over Solo is that people see Kathleen Kennedy's helming of SW as some kind of "SJW warpath", which has not been helped by her comments of "we want new viewers" (sound familiar anyone??)

In The Last Jedi, I can sorta see their point, the male characters bar Luke make every mistake known to the galaxy, but the women are far more tactical and have plans, and deliver.
            HOWEVER, The boys are frigging GRUNTS, making stupid calls is storyline logical for them to do so, like the princess used to be the one in trouble "because princess", which is where their complaint falls apart.
            It's not a SJW issue, it's just the boys don't like to be outshone by the girls, and that's not SJW, that's just reality. In this case, the leaders were all women and they did the right things, Just like Mon Mothma did in IV and Leia did in V-VI, but they got more screen time than Mothma, and didn't show of T&A like Leia to be forgiven for being "better"

Sorry
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              The online controversy over Solo is that people see Kathleen Kennedy's helming of SW as some kind of "SJW warpath", which has not been helped by her comments of "we want new viewers" (sound familiar anyone??)

In The Last Jedi, I can sorta see their point, the male characters bar Luke make every mistake known to the galaxy, but the women are far more tactical and have plans, and deliver.
              HOWEVER, The boys are frigging GRUNTS, making stupid calls is storyline logical for them to do so, like the princess used to be the one in trouble "because princess", which is where their complaint falls apart.
              It's not a SJW issue, it's just the boys don't like to be outshone by the girls, and that's not SJW, that's just reality. In this case, the leaders were all women and they did the right things, Just like Mon Mothma did in IV and Leia did in V-VI, but they got more screen time than Mothma, and didn't show of T&A like Leia to be forgiven for being "better"

Sorry
              You may not have caught on to it as you live outside the U.S., but that has been the trend in most media over the past decade or two; males portrayed as bumblers at best while females are portrayed as more competent. This is visible in programming as well as advertising.

Comment

so it is the homer simpson effect, got it thanks.

Comment

Of course they want new viewers. The original movies were 40 years ago. The prequels are almost universally despised.

Women in TLJ also make plenty of mistakes. Arguably some of the biggest. In the end it's a man who is instrumental to saving the day. Plus, the entire Star Wars universe is royally ****ed up thanks to men making absolutely idiotic decisions, like ignoring their own very valid points a movie later.

It's just insane troll logic.

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                  You may not have caught on to it as you live outside the U.S., but that has been the trend in most media over the past decade or two; males portrayed as bumblers at best while females are portrayed as more competent. This is visible in programming as well as advertising.
                  As opposed to all the decades before that when women were irrational, emotional window dressing.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                    Of course they want new viewers. The original movies were 40 years ago. The prequels are almost universally despised.
                    To the point of sounding like the original fans don't matter anymore. Of course you want new viewers, that's perfectly reasonable, but you don't destroy a 40 year old base and the generation after that base that exist as fans as well to do it, do you?

Women in TLJ also make plenty of mistakes. Arguably some of the biggest. In the end it's a man who is instrumental to saving the day. Plus, the entire Star Wars universe is royally ****ed up thanks to men making absolutely idiotic decisions, like ignoring their own very valid points a movie later.

It's just insane troll logic.
                    Couldn't agree more killman, I'm just pointing out what I have seen. It's total garbage.

As opposed to all the decades before that when women were irrational, emotional window dressing.
                    But that was ok...……………….
                    (same insane troll logic)
                    sigpic

Comment

To the point of sounding like the original fans don't matter anymore. Of course you want new viewers, that's perfectly reasonable, but you don't destroy a 40 year old base and the generation after that base that exist as fans as well to do it, do you?
                      Star Wars has a proud tradition of each new movie upsetting the series. I'd expect fans would be familiar with it now, after 6 movies and god knows how much EU adding a "Wait, but there's a twist! "

But that was ok...……………….
                      (same insane troll logic)
                      *decades of not-men being depicted as horrible, shallow human beings* : total silence
                      *men being slightly inconvenienced in stories* : OUTRAGE
                      Last edited by thekillman; 01 June 2018, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Star Wars has a proud tradition of each new movie upsetting the series. I'd expect fans would be familiar with it now, after 6 movies and god knows how much EU adding a "Wait, but there's a twist! "
                        Yeah, but EU is officially dead (weather we like it or not).
                        I curious about what this "upsetting the series" you see. I have not noticed it (except the force being based on bug count now)

*decades of non-men being depicted as horrible, shallow human beings* : total silence
                        Yup.
                        Us poor men
                        sigpic

Comment

Yeah, but EU is officially dead (weather we like it or not).
                          I curious about what this "upsetting the series" you see. I have not noticed it (except the force being based on bug count now)
                          They've changed the rules and tone of the series with each movie. From fun adventure to dark drama to kid's movie to literal Force Jesus.

Comment

*decades of not-men being depicted as horrible, shallow human beings* : total silence
                            Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                            I wasn't ranting about the trend, I just noted that it exists. Absolutely, women were often portrayed as helpless cardboard characters in need of a man to save them for a long time. A change was needed.
                            But I think the pendulum may have swung too far the other way at this point.

Comment

Sounds remarkably similar to criticism leveled at Jar Jar Abrams when he remade the Star Trek universe in his image back in 2009.

Comment

Working...
                              X