X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CONFIRMED: Amazon revive The Expanse for S4

EDIT: Now confirmed! See planet_tv's post below

'The Expanse' Revived for Season 4 at Amazon

The news comes 10 days after Syfy canceled the space drama after three seasons.

Amazon Studios is in talks to revive one of CEO Jeff Bezos' favorite properties.

The retailer and streaming outlet is near a deal to revive space drama The Expanse for a fourth season just 10 days after Syfy canceled the series. Amazon Studios declined comment as sources note the deal is not closed.

Starring Steven Strait and based on James S.A. Comedy's best-selling book series of the same name, Syfy had only first-run linear rights in the U.S. to The Expanse. Amazon Studios had streaming rights to the first three seasons of the show. Sources say Bezos is a big fan of the book and was livid that the TV series went to NBCUniversal-owned Syfy. The move is said to have ignited Bezos' demand that Amazon Studios brass find the company's version of Game of Thrones.

The Expanse was a pricey swing for Syfy and the nature of the deal put additional pressure for the show to perform on its linear network as the cabler did not have either SVOD or international rights to profit from. (Netflix had international rights to the series.) The Expanse was Syfy's first major push back into the traditional science fiction genre.

Following the cancellation, producers Alcon Television Group — which fully financed and produced the series — planned to shop the space drama to other networks.

Opening to promising reviews and a strong collection of loyal viewers, its first season averaged 581,000 viewers in the advertiser-coveted adults 18-49 demographic, and 1.4 million total viewers with three days of DVR. Season two, which returned more than a year later with a significant marketing push and a solid lead-in, was down 24 percent among total viewers and averaged 457,000 total viewers. That compares more to similar returns for Syfy's inexpensive co-productions like Dark Matter and Killjoys, than to the cabler's original scripted series like The Magicians and Happy.

Its third season, which returned in April, tumbled another 5 percent among total viewers and 12 percent in the demo from season two.

"The Expanse transported us across the solar system for three brilliant seasons of television. Everyone at Syfy is a massive fan of the series, and this was an incredibly difficult decision," said Chris McCumber, president of entertainment networks at NBCU Cable Entertainment. "We want to sincerely thank The Expanse’s amazing cast, crew and all the dedicated creatives who helped bring James S.A. Corey’s story to life. And to the series’ loyal fans, we thank you most of all.”

The decision to bring The Expanse to its end comes as Syfy has a packed scripted roster that also includes the upcoming George R.R. Martin drama Nightflyers, The Purge, Deadly Class, Krypton, The Magicians, anthology Channel Zero, Van Helsing, Wynonna Earp and Killjoys, with the latter set to wrap in 2019. The Expanse will be Syfy's second series to conclude this year, joining 12 Monkeys.

Starring Strait, Shohreh Aghdashloo and Dominique Tipper, The Expanse is set in a future where humanity has colonized the solar system. Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby (Children of Men) served as showrunners and exec produced the Alcon TV Group drama alongside Naren Shankar.

At Amazon, The Expanse will join a growing roster of genre programming including its upcoming Lord of the Rings TV franchise, Jordan Peele's Nazi hunting drama series, Gillian Flynn's Utopia remake, futuristic drama The Peripheral, from Westworld creators Lisa Joy and Jonah Nolan; Consider Phlebas and a reboot of Hanna, among others.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...amazon-1113803
    Last edited by DigiFluid; 26 May 2018, 07:46 AM.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I hope this goes through. As I said elsewhere, this business model might be the best chance for us to see Sci Fi TV shows; a subscription-based system, rather than advertising-driven.

On the other hand, I don't think I like the long-term implications. If this model does work, and we do see more sci-fi, maybe other types of programming will follow. Eventually, the only thing we'll see on std. cable and OTA broadcast will be infomercials.

Comment

I'm happy people are trying to get it revived. It's high-quality scifi, it's good, and it deserves more seasons.
      Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      On the other hand, I don't think I like the long-term implications. If this model does work, and we do see more sci-fi, maybe other types of programming will follow. Eventually, the only thing we'll see on std. cable and OTA broadcast will be infomercials.
      It does fit with the larger trend of the TV landscape fragmenting into more and more subscription services.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        I'm happy people are trying to get it revived. It's high-quality scifi, it's good, and it deserves more seasons.

It does fit with the larger trend of the TV landscape fragmenting into more and more subscription services.
        To be honest I don't really mind. I find myself only watching TV for my recorded programs or use streaming services. Only time I watch cable is to get the news.

Future is now old man!
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Reality for most of us:
          1) Favorite Sci-fi show gets cancelled
          2) Login to Gatworld and complain, maybe even discuss what would\should have happened

Reality for Billionare Jeff Bezos:
          1) favorite Sci-fi show gets cancelled
          2) Boys the rights to the show and hires people to finish it properly

If only Jeff was a fan of SGU. Should we mail him the blu-rays via Amazon Prime?
          Last edited by Spimman; 22 May 2018, 11:21 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
            Reality for most of us:
            2) Login to Gatworld and complain, maybe even discuss what would\should have happened

If only Jeff was a fan of SGU. Should we mail him the blu-rays via Amazon Prime?
            This is by far the best idea to save SGU
            Spoiler:
            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

There. Fixed it for you.

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
              Reality for most of us:
              3) Eagerly await the next morsel that drops from the SyFy plate only to die a premature death.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                There. Fixed it for you.

An analogy comes to mind:

A dog that goes after a fake-throw of the ball and the little kid (SyFy) laughs maniacally.
                Spoiler:

Comment

So from what has been posted on Twitter and Reddit. The deal is official. The Expanse is returning for Season 4 on Amazon.
                  "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

‘The Expanse’ Moves to Amazon for Season 4

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Amazon, eh? Beratnas!
                      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

So now that it’s moving to Amazon, does this mean you still will be able to buy it after a season is complete? Or will the only way will see season four is by streaming?

Comment

Originally posted by I Am Negan View Post
                          So now that it’s moving to Amazon, does this mean you still will be able to buy it after a season is complete? Or will the only way will see season four is by streaming?
                          I think there's still a chance it'll go to Blu-ray after the next season. They've never released an original series to physical media as far as I know but they have released a couple of their original movies to Blu-ray.

Gringo (Universal/STX) was distributed by Amazon as far as I know, so they're dipping their toes into distribution. I just hope that means a Blu-ray release for Season 4 of The Expanse. The first three seasons were distributed by Universal and still could depending on what part of the contracts were carried over when Amazon took over. Universal has done a lot of SyFy stuff. Amazon and Universal have Gringo under their belt and I'm sure more I don't know about. Let hope that went well.

Comment

Originally posted by thedevilman View Post
                            I think there's still a chance it'll go to Blu-ray after the next season. They've never released an original series to physical media as far as I know but they have released a couple of their original movies to Blu-ray.

Gringo (Universal/STX) was distributed by Amazon as far as I know, so they're dipping their toes into distribution. I just hope that means a Blu-ray release for Season 4 of The Expanse. The first three seasons were distributed by Universal and still could depending on what part of the contracts were carried over when Amazon took over. Universal has done a lot of SyFy stuff. Amazon and Universal have Gringo under their belt and I'm sure more I don't know about. Let hope that went well.
                            Thanks for the info. I didn’t know all that.

Comment

Well, I sure am curious where it's taken on Amazon. But hells yeah for it being renewed!

Comment

Working...
                              X