Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another series of Trek movies?

https://movieweb.com/new-star-trek-t...-legal-battle/

It appears that another Star Trek trilogy, totally separate from what Paramount has going on with Star Trek 4 and Quentin Tarantino's movie, is in the works. However, a legal battle may get in the way of it actually happening. Director Nicholas Meyer, best known for his work on Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, reveals that he was hired by CBS to write a trilogy of standalone movies for their CBS All Access streaming service.

We'll start with the good news here. Nicholas Meyer, the man responsible for what is widely considered to be the best Star Trek movie ever made, was hired by CBS to write a new trilogy of movies. That much is certain. The filmmaker revealed this during a recent visit at the University of California, Irvine where he took part in a discussion about Shakespeare and Star Trek. Here's what he had to say about it.

"I was hired to write a stand-alone Star Trek-related trilogy. I can't discuss or I'd have to kill you. I was writing it for CBS [All] Access... but at the moment CBS is at a war with Paramount/Viacom."

Now we get to the bad news. CBS owns the TV rights to the franchise, which they are currently putting to good use for Star Trek Discovery, with season 2 now in production. Paramount, on the other hand, holds the movie rights. Since Nicholas Meyer is, or possibly was, working on a trilogy of what would essentially be TV movies for a streaming service, there is some room for legal friction there. There is also the matter of a potential Viacom and CBS merger, which is being floated and would allow for the movie and TV universe to co-exist once again. They have been separate since J.J. Abrams' reboot was released in 2009.

There is a lot to unpack in terms of the legal issues, but that seems to be getting in the way of what could be an exciting series of movies from one of the franchise's most beloved filmmakers. Nicholas Meyer teased last year that he was working on something not related to Discovery saying, "One thing that has nothing to do with Discovery is that I am working on another Star Trek project, but I can't discuss that either." At the time, it was assumed this would be another series and there was a rumor going around that it would be a Wrath of Khan prequel series. Perhaps it would actually be a trilogy of prequel movies?

Paramount is neck-deep in Star Trek movies right now. They recently hired S.J. Clarkson to helm Star Trek 4, marking the first time for a female director within the franchise. There is also Quentin Tarantino's reportedly R-rated movie, which is being by written Mark L. Smith (The Revenant) currently, but there are few details beyond that at the moment. Assuming this legal issue can be sorted out, we could have as many as five new Star Trek movies over the coming years, even if that may be a big if. It's a good time to be a Trekkie. This news comes to us courtesy of Trek Core.

Interesting. Nick Meyer is probably the person I trust the most to make a good Trek film, so that’s cool. Not terribly surprising that CBS and Viacom are fighting though, they’re always fighting

I may be reading too much into this, but you know what ‘new movies separate from anything else already going on’ sounds like to me? It sounds a whole lot like they looked at what Lucasfilm/Disney are doing with the “A Star Wars Story” spinoffs (Rogue One, Solo) and went “hey that’s a good idea, let’s do that!”
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Well, I guess it depends where he goes with it. The guy's talent in Trek is as best there is, after all, he is responsible for the best Trek movie of all time. (IMNTBHO)
      I don't know if sub backstories for Sulu, McCoy, Scotty or the rest would draw as well as those for Solo, the incidents preceding "A New Hope" and such in the Wars universe.

Comment

Well, sure, I wouldn't expect individual origin stories. I meant more that Lucas/Disney decided they would keep doing the 'main' film series, but also do a spinoff series of unconnected films to tell interesting stories that aren't part of the primary narrative.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I wish we could see some movies or TV mini-series about some of the historical events in the Trekverse that you only hear about in mention or in the books, like the Earth-Romulan War or the Tzenkethi War.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            Well, sure, I wouldn't expect individual origin stories. I meant more that Lucas/Disney decided they would keep doing the 'main' film series, but also do a spinoff series of unconnected films to tell interesting stories that aren't part of the primary narrative.
            I know it was marketed as a stand-alone, but Rogue One is definitely connected to the main story; how the rebellion got ahold of the death star plans in the first place. Solo is definitely an origin story, as I understand it, Lucas had that idea in the works before Disney purchased the franchise.

I'm just saying that given a free hand, I'm confident that Meyer can give us a good Trek film. But he may not get a free hand. Corporate entities like to play monkey-see monkey-do, so they may press him to do an origin story.

Comment

Working...
            X