X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seefee cancels The Expanse, owner will shop it around to other distributors

https://deadline.com/2018/05/the-exp...ed-1202388026/
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I was quite shocked at first, but after reading the deal they got, i'm not surprised.

Comment

I could not believe my eyes when I first saw that, glad the show will continue elsewhere.
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Wait, so is the show continuing elsewhere or not? The article just seems to say it is done there is no deal with anyone else, just that they generally hope there will be one.

I'm actually legitimately horrified.
        "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Oh SyFy when will you learn that if you keep kicking your viewers in the teeth for their loyalty pretty quick you're not going to have any viewers left, you'd think they'd learn from the mistakes their parent company constantly makes, but alas not...

Hopefully this turns up on Netflix, season 1 and 2 are there for us already.

Comment

I've already seen conflicting opinions about whether the chances of the show moving to another distributor are "likely" or "slim to none." But if I were to guess for myself, I think the bleaker option sounds more realistic.
            "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

So I've read the sets are being demolished and/or sold in a couple days. Supposedly this suggests the show is all but dead.

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Where, exactly, did you read this?

It's only been two days. Even Dark Matter had a couple of months iirc.

------------------------------

My concern is that the show is split, streaming wise, between Netflix and Amazon. That will mean one has to give up the rights to the other, and that doesn't seem likely.

Ultimately though...if it doesn't get saved, at least we have the books.
                sigpic

Comment

I believe the prop master for the show posted it on Facebook. I haven't read any of the books, but I keep hearing they are totally different. The more I think about reading the books when compared to watching the show, the more it feels like a completely different type of experience. I thought Dark Matter was officially dead after a couple weeks?

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Yeah I saw that now. He's also saying Amazon is the best shot.

I cant believe they aren't waiting longer. These deals take time and waiting the extra week may help.

Dark Matter had I think at least a month, but then again they probably had a lot less sets.

As far as I know the show has been pretty faithful. It's probably the Magicians you are thinking about when it comes to not being faithful...
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                      Wait, so is the show continuing elsewhere or not? The article just seems to say it is done there is no deal with anyone else, just that they generally hope there will be one.
                      No news exists on this front.

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                      Oh SyFy when will you learn that if you keep kicking your viewers in the teeth for their loyalty pretty quick you're not going to have any viewers left, you'd think they'd learn from the mistakes their parent company constantly makes, but alas not...

Hopefully this turns up on Netflix, season 1 and 2 are there for us already.
                      The deal SyFy got is actually pretty bad. It would have to be abnormally popular for a hard Sci Fi show, to justify those costs.

So I've read the sets are being demolished and/or sold in a couple days. Supposedly this suggests the show is all but dead.
                      That seems weird, considering other shows have had their sets stand for months after cancellation.

I believe the prop master for the show posted it on Facebook. I haven't read any of the books, but I keep hearing they are totally different. The more I think about reading the books when compared to watching the show, the more it feels like a completely different type of experience. I thought Dark Matter was officially dead after a couple weeks?
                      The books offer a different experience, yes, but that's more about how the book is written vs how the show is produced. The story itself is extremely faithfully adapted.

Comment

I don't watch the show but happened to come across this petition for the show and I thought I would post the link so those who do can check it out if they want: https://www.change.org/p/amazon-or-n...Y5ODgyYw%3D%3D

Also came across this: https://www.space.com/40608-fans-fig...e-expanse.html

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Really sad time for Sci-Fi indeed... and there I thought that out of all shows this one wouldn't get cancelled. I thought they were doing quite well in ratings!
                          Spoiler:
                          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

In gutted this is one of the best shows I've seen in ages

Comment

I never got into The Expanse, so I don't have a stake in the discussion about this show, but maybe it is that the mass-market, advertising driven business model won't support good sci-fi anymore?

SyFy hasn't had much for a while. Galactica which ended in '09 was good. Since then we've had Eureka, which, according to its producers was cancelled due to high production costs.

We also had Haven, an excellent, well received show which was cancelled in part due to costs; as I understand it was denied tax incentives by the municipality it was shot in, and that contributed to its demise.
                              Continuum was purchased from a Canadian source, which decided to axe it as audience numbers dropped. Time travel generally doesn't do well in mass market. It will do ok in a niche market outlet, but it is expensive to make.

Maybe good sci fi needs a subscription-based business model, like Netflix or Amazon Prime (Lost in Space and The Man in the High Castle, respectively.)

Comment

Working...
                              X