Star Trek 4: News/Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek 4: News/Discussion

‘Star Trek 4’: S.J. Clarkson Becomes the First Female Director in Franchise’s History (EXCLUSIVE)

S.J. Clarkson has been tapped to direct “Star Trek 4,” making her the first female to helm a film in the “Star Trek” franchise.

Paramount Pictures had no comment. The studio announced at CinemaCon in Las Vegas that it was planning a fourth movie with Chris Hemsworth, who appeared as Chris Pine’s father in 2009’s “Star Trek.” Zachary Quinto is also set to return. Paramount is developing another “Star Trek” film from J.J. Abrams and Quentin Tarantino, but sources say it is still being written and would come after the fourth movie.

While details on “Star Trek 4” are vague, sources say a key plot point sees Pine’s character running into his father (Hemsworth) in a time travel ploy.

J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay penned the screenplay. Abrams and Lindsey Weber will produce through Bad Robot Productions, while David Ellison and Dana Goldberg of Skydance Media will executive produce.

The original 2009 reboot “Star Trek” earned $385 million worldwide, while its sequel “Star Trek: Into Darkness” made $467 million globally in 2013. The third, “Star Trek Beyond,” brought in $343 million worldwide in 2016.

Clarkson is best known for her work on the TV scene with shows such as “Dexter,” “Bates Motel,” “Orange is the New Black,” and “Jessica Jones.” She recently directed a handful of episodes for Marvel’s “The Defenders.”
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    ‘Star Trek 4’: S.J. Clarkson Becomes the First Female Director in Franchise’s History (EXCLUSIVE)

S.J. Clarkson has been tapped to direct “Star Trek 4,” making her the first female to helm a film in the “Star Trek” franchise.

Paramount Pictures had no comment. The studio announced at CinemaCon in Las Vegas that it was planning a fourth movie with Chris Hemsworth, who appeared as Chris Pine’s father in 2009’s “Star Trek.” Zachary Quinto is also set to return. Paramount is developing another “Star Trek” film from J.J. Abrams and Quentin Tarantino, but sources say it is still being written and would come after the fourth movie.

While details on “Star Trek 4” are vague, sources say a key plot point sees Pine’s character running into his father (Hemsworth) in a time travel ploy.

J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay penned the screenplay. Abrams and Lindsey Weber will produce through Bad Robot Productions, while David Ellison and Dana Goldberg of Skydance Media will executive produce.

The original 2009 reboot “Star Trek” earned $385 million worldwide, while its sequel “Star Trek: Into Darkness” made $467 million globally in 2013. The third, “Star Trek Beyond,” brought in $343 million worldwide in 2016.

Clarkson is best known for her work on the TV scene with shows such as “Dexter,” “Bates Motel,” “Orange is the New Black,” and “Jessica Jones.” She recently directed a handful of episodes for Marvel’s “The Defenders.”
    Intriguing. Given the work of Trek is all about diversity and equality...it just had taken them a while to get a woman to helm one of their movies.
    sigpic

Comment

I still prefer the classics...esp. when it comes to the 4th movie in the prime universe....that movie was a hoot

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
        I still prefer the classics...esp. when it comes to the 4th movie in the prime universe....that movie was a hoot
        Agreed.
        So far, the new trek films have had connections to their original counterparts. But so far, the originals have been better than the reboots

Star Trek The Motion Picture / Star Trek - well, TMP isn't too high a bar to get over, but Jar Jar's new version pissed me and a lot of others off. So he loses.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan / Star Trek Into Darkness - No one will ever come close to the original, so don't even try. Against mortal standards, "Into Darkness" would have been at the very least, ok. But you can't compete with a God.

Star Trek III: The Search For Spock / Star Trek Beyond TSFS was a continuation of ST II TWOK, with its defining moment being the destruction of the original Enterprise. "Star Trek Beyond" also destroys it's Enterprise, but in a far less entertaining fashion.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home was one of the best of the original films, so they've got a very high bar to meet. I don't expect that they will.

That's the downside of trying to redo what has come before, particularly if what has come before is very good. You have a hard time beating it. They would have been better off continuing the existing original timeline rather than rebooting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
          Agreed.
          So far, the new trek films have had connections to their original counterparts. But so far, the originals have been better than the reboots

Star Trek The Motion Picture / Star Trek - well, TMP isn't too high a bar to get over, but Jar Jar's new version pissed me and a lot of others off. So he loses.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan / Star Trek Into Darkness - No one will ever come close to the original, so don't even try. Against mortal standards, "Into Darkness" would have been at the very least, ok. But you can't compete with a God.

Star Trek III: The Search For Spock / Star Trek Beyond TSFS was a continuation of ST II TWOK, with its defining moment being the destruction of the original Enterprise. "Star Trek Beyond" also destroys it's Enterprise, but in a far less entertaining fashion.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home was one of the best of the original films, so they've got a very high bar to meet. I don't expect that they will.

That's the downside of trying to redo what has come before, particularly if what has come before is very good. You have a hard time beating it. They would have been better off continuing the existing original timeline rather than rebooting it.
          I liked the Part in "Voyage Home" where McCoy rants at some 20th century doctors in an elevator and Kirk is like "Bad day"

or "He? You came in with a she!" ...."One little mistake"

best part is Spock owning that Mohawk-headed thug with a nerve pinch

Comment

Agreed.

I've never felt like they're trying to "beat" any of the original movies or even any of the rest of the franchise.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

...or maybe we could stay on topic, instead of whining that these aren't the old films.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                I've never felt like they're trying to "beat" any of the original movies or even any of the rest of the franchise.
                I concur

...or maybe we could stay on topic, instead of whining that these aren't the old films.
                This is very true!
                sigpic

Comment

Isn't it inevitable that comparisons are going to be drawn? Particularly when the new films themselves are making connections to the earlier versions of the same ones in the series ?

Comment

Isn't it inevitable that comparisons are going to be drawn? Particularly when the new films themselves are making connections to the earlier versions of the same ones in the series ?
                    *in best Agent Smith impersonation* "It is inevitable *echo*"

Comment

All I know is Abrams 5 can't do better than The Final Frontier
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        He has done 3 times already. Hell Star Trek Nemesis is the only thing worse than Frontier.
                        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          Never underestimate the ability to screw something up.

Comment

Their headline is slightly misleading since the TV shows have had female directors I'm sure.

Still good to have a little information about the film and to know it might still be happening since Beyond sadly under performed. I had no idea they'd all grossed quite that low though and I'm sad Simon Pegg isn't on writing duty again,
                            sigpic
                            Banner By JME2

Comment

Reports are emerging that Paramount has finally just cancelled the film outright.

Comment

Working...
                              X