Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars: Resistance (premieres fall 2018)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Wars: Resistance (premieres fall 2018)

STAR WARS RESISTANCE, ANIME-INSPIRED SERIES, SET FOR FALL DEBUT
    ALL-NEW ANIMATED SERIES WILL FOCUS ON THE ERA BEFORE STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS.

This fall, welcome to the Resistance!

StarWars.com is thrilled to announce that production has begun on Star Wars Resistance, an exciting new animated adventure series about Kazuda Xiono, a young pilot recruited by the Resistance and tasked with a top-secret mission to spy on the growing threat of the First Order. It will premiere this fall on Disney Channel in the U.S. and thereafter, on Disney XD and around the world.

Featuring the high-flying adventure that audiences of all ages have come to expect from Star Wars, Star Wars Resistance — set in the time prior to Star Wars: The Force Awakens — will feature the beloved droid BB-8 alongside ace pilots, colorful new characters and appearances by fan favorites including Poe Dameron and Captain Phasma, voiced by actors Oscar Isaac and Gwendoline Christie, respectively.

The series was created by renowned Lucasfilm Animation veteran Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels); executive-produced by Athena Portillo (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels), Justin Ridge (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) and Brandon Auman (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles); and art-directed by Amy Beth Christenson (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels).

“The idea for Star Wars Resistance came out of my interest in World War II aircraft and fighter pilots” said Filoni. “My grandfather was a pilot and my uncle flew and restored planes, so that’s been a big influence on me. There’s a long history of high-speed racing in Star Wars, and I think we’ve captured that sense of excitement in an anime-inspired style, which is something the entire team has been wanting to do for a long time.”

Marc Buhaj, senior vice president, Programming and general manager, Disney XD, said, “Our colleagues at Lucasfilm have created a compelling narrative for an untold moment in the Star Wars galaxy, and we are excited to partner with them again on this new original series. Star Wars Resistance will bring viewers across generations an engaging story with heart, humor and both new and familiar characters.”

In addition to Isaac and Christie, the voice cast includes actors Christopher Sean (Days of Our Lives), Suzie McGrath (East Enders), Scott Lawrence (Legion), Myrna Velasco (Elena of Avalor), Josh Brener (Silicon Valley), Donald Faison (Scrubs), Bobby Moynihan (DuckTales), Jim Rash (Community), and Rachel Butera (Tammy’s Tiny Tea Time).
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Interesting... Hopefully this continues the quality of the other animated shows!

Comment

Den of Geek: Star Wars: Resistance - first episode details

The first episode of this new "anime-inspired" Star Wars series is called The Recruit. Here's a synopsis for you..

Star Wars: Resistance is the next animated show set in the galaxy far, far away. Announced a few months ago by Disney, the series is now in production and will premiere on the Disney Channel later in the year, and on Disney XD around the world!

An official synopsis for the first episode, entitled "The Recruit", has now made its way online via TVWeb:

Resistance fighter Poe Dameron tasks young pilot Kazuda (Kaz) Xiono with spying on the First Order. At the time, little was known about the secretive organisation and its strength. In order to fulfill his mission, Kaz travels to the space station Colossus, which is being used by many ships as a port to refuel and do repairs. However, there are also dangerous races taking place there. After Kaz bragged with his piloting skills at his arrival there, he is soon drawn into one of the races...
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
        Interesting... Hopefully this continues the quality of the other animated shows!
        I just find it odd because it seems like they've already done this story/concept...twice. In the Poe Dameron comics, and in the Join the Resistance books. And with everything being equally canon now, it seems strange that they'd retread the same ground in this way.

Still, whenever I've had misgivings in the past, I've generally been wrong and enjoyed whatever I was watching or reading. So I should probably give them the benefit of the doubt at this point!

Comment

First look trailer, will premiere on October 7!

Edit:
          Last edited by DigiFluid; 17 August 2018, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

“The idea for Star Wars Resistance came out of my interest in World War II aircraft and fighter pilots” said Filoni. “My grandfather was a pilot and my uncle flew and restored planes, so that’s been a big influence on me. There’s a long history of high-speed racing in Star Wars, and I think we’ve captured that sense of excitement in an anime-inspired style, which is something the entire team has been wanting to do for a long time.”
            I've always felt a WW2 influence (which was sorta intentional) in the Galactic Civil War as well as a dash of US War of Independence (Though I never heard that one being used by TPTB). I also saw the Clone Wars as a sort of American Civil War or really any civil war that fits along those lines. It's good when the creators have a real life war vibe in mind in my opinion.

I completely missed the development of this show though...

I just find it odd because it seems like they've already done this story/concept...twice. In the Poe Dameron comics, and in the Join the Resistance books. And with everything being equally canon now, it seems strange that they'd retread the same ground in this way.

Still, whenever I've had misgivings in the past, I've generally been wrong and enjoyed whatever I was watching or reading. So I should probably give them the benefit of the doubt at this point!
            They make comic and novel adaptations of the films...I guess this is sorta like that but in reverse? I haven't really read that material dealing with Poe or the resistance beyond the comic book with Poe's parents in it.

First look trailer, will premiere on October 7!

Edit:
            I don't have a bad feeling about this...
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

i have a bad feeling about the space ship race... but you know.... i like the looks overall, the coloring is nice, a sort of anime almost feel to everything.... but the two ships are just flying through the air side by side.... not exactly.... uhhmmm.... its not exactly pod racing

i liked the coloring of the storm trooper firing in the dark but i have no idea how i will feel iwth the troopers in the regular light... was that captain phasma in her silver armor firing or a stormtrooper armor thats regular etc that just looks sorta silverish, ahhh

anyuways... i like the dark horse star wars comics looks,, would be cool if we got more crazy empire shenanigans but a race is a cool starting place... sorta cheap though i get it it is budget, they dont want lots of people walking around for the pilot or a huge complex city, so what then a better cchoice for a pilot then a literal pilot flying in a air race in a space ship etc against another pilot in another space ship i guess? but i expect lots of amazing clone wars esque stuff soon, would be cool if they hurry and build and use city scapes for thier settings and amazing in city stuff, perhaps even coruscants or naboo or new alderaan or a correlia world, so many choices and they should already have a huge catalogue of pre built sets from all thier previous work and preparation for this etdc, plus you know starships, characters, cool ideas, and scary situations like murderous pirates, satiracal assassin droids, and the ever lovely, rogue imperial or dark jedi doing their own thing, even a rogue or selfish representative or republic worlds doing their own thing, maybe even sympathetic first order worlds or officers etc,

i have lots of... well curiosities, and so long as they do not go stale with bland stuff i should be ok with just space opera esque stuff

Comment

Resistance will feature Leia, who will be voiced by actress Rachel Butera. Animated incarnations of Leia have previously appeared in Rebels and Forces of Destiny, where she was voiced by actresses Julie Dolan and Shelby Young, respectively.

Resistance’s cast also includes Christopher Sean (Days Of Our Lives), Suzie McGrath (Eastenders), Scott Lawrence (Legion), Myrna Velasco (Elena Of Avalor), Josh Brener (Silicon Valley), Donald Faison (Scrubs), Bobby Moynihan (DuckTales) and Jim Rash (Community).

Comment

I am sorry, guys, but this one doesn't look promising. I was ultra excited about the CW season 7 announcement, but this one has reached the opposite effect. I don't like this anime style, they should have made pure CGI animation. I really have a bad feeling about it as I looked the like/dislike rate, I am not the only one...
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                    I am sorry, guys, but this one doesn't look promising. I was ultra excited about the CW season 7 announcement, but this one has reached the opposite effect. I don't like this anime style, they should have made pure CGI animation. I really have a bad feeling about it as I looked the like/dislike rate, I am not the only one...
                    I felt that way when they announced The Clone Wars when they’d already had Genndy Frickin’ Tartakovsky do Clone Wars. I felt that way when I first saw the animation of Rebels. I rolled my eyes when they said they were doing a Young Han movie.

I was wrong every time.

Comment

I wish you are right and we can be stunned by the quality of production value. I should be more open minded to accept this new Animatrix type half animation half anime style. Just the Clone Wars season 5 has raised my own standards so high that after that I would expect every future SW project to be at least on the same level.
                      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I felt that way when they announced The Clone Wars when they’d already had Genndy Frickin’ Tartakovsky do Clone Wars. I felt that way when I first saw the animation of Rebels. I rolled my eyes when they said they were doing a Young Han movie.

I was wrong every time.
                        Im taking this line of thinking with this. I think it'll take some time to get used to for me as I dont watch much cartoon stuff now but some of the shots do look very nice.

Comment

This premiered last night, so, first thoughts?

I was pleasantly surprised. It's very upbeat, funny without being awful (like The Freemaker Adventures). I quite like the green guy, Neeku. I think they borrowed the literal-ness a bit from Drax in Guardians, but it really works here. The show (or at least the pilot) has a certain pleasant charm to it that I can't quite put my finger on.

Comment

How many episodes are out now?

Comment

The double-length premiere (101-02 “The Recruit”) aired last weekend, plus one (103 “The Triple Dark”) from this past Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                              X