Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Did All of the Stargate Short Stories Go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where Did All of the Stargate Short Stories Go?

Is there a site out there a sizeable collection of shorter Stargate fanfics?

The short story format that was common on LiveJournal back in the day is missed. Same fans migrated to Dreamwidth, but that site isn’t picking up steam.

Many sites make it tough on short stories in their search algorithms (and good luck using Wattpad’s search function for any story format). A story with 34 chapters out of an alleged 64 that has been ongoing for 4 years and is never going to be finished will have more chapters, meaning more page views, more comments, more people asking for updates and a rise in rank. Short fics can’t even compete with chapter-by-chapter works for reader to find them easily.

What about places for short fiction? Flash fiction, 6 word stories, Twitterature, minifics, microfics, sudden fiction, drabbles, sketches, one shots, poems, song lyric rewrites, etc. ?

Where did they all go?

EDIT: I did find that AO3 has an advanced search that allows for single chapter, word count limits, and complete boxes to be checked off. That is helpful, but more sites would be great. I feel as if I am missing some for perusing.
    Last edited by WraithTech; 25 April 2018, 09:08 AM.

Um...fanfiction.net? I didn't see tha tmake your list.
    I mean, you can filter by word count (less than 1k words already brings up 7k results), and you can sort them by update, favorites, follows, and reviews.
    I mean, you're just trying to see if there are other sites with stargate fanfic, right?

sigpic
    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Thanks, yes, sites with sizeable amounts of Stargate short fiction.

Maybe GateWorld can have categories for works such as 6 word stories when the portal gets up and running?

Edit: Wow, someone made 100 of them for SGU: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6969967...6-Word-Stories
      Last edited by WraithTech; 25 April 2018, 05:33 PM.

Comment

I`ve seen a short stories regularly posted on Tumblr (mostly Sam and Jack, but that may very well be bacause I follow people who ship them). I also saw short stories from other fandoms being posted there, so I guess many writers moved there. On one hand, it`s very easy to post your story there, on the other it can be a nightmare if you want to find the story again after a couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Denisa View Post
          I`ve seen a short stories regularly posted on Tumblr
          Now that you mention it, I think you are right! I've found two people there who post short stories to Tumblr, then post them to AO3 when they get a bundle of them. But, yeah, finding them is difficult and I only found their Tumblr accounts from links on their AO3s. Some profiles have an archive feature to allow viewing uploads by the month and I make my rounds to see what is new there weeks before the stories are posted to AO3.

Comment

With Tumblr it`s key to find/follow people with similar interest that you have, then check in regularly. I have found a lot of very talented people there, and some great writers too.

Comment

Working...
            X