Old crazy Sci-fi films!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old crazy Sci-fi films!

I'm on a craving of old (1930s-1980s) Sci-fi films. Looking for crazy, weird, offbeat films that shows outer-space, spaceships and planets explosions. Yes!! Strange, low budget explosions are the best. Explosions in space Anyone knows oldies with such extravaganza? Any recommendation from fellow cinephiles?

A.

Spaceballs.

Comment

Dunno about movies, but Gerry Anderson specialized in TV series of this nature, such as Space:1999 & UFO. There were also animatronics (puppets) shows like Fireball XL5, Thunderbirds, as well as animated such as Space Ghost.

Comment

just look around youtube, there are plenty there, you might start with this island earth and go from there, that should get things going, you also might like an old tv show called salvage 1 that one is kind of bad too.

Comment

Try the old Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers serials from the '30s.
          sigpic
          "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
          Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

Originally posted by McClance View Post
            Try the old Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers serials from the '30s.
            YES, you can find them on the tubes as well.

Comment

For planetary explosions you can't go past Forbidden Planet. Definitely get your fair share of explosions from Flash Gordon and the British TV series UFO.
              Regards,
              Halokim
              The Graveyard Shift

Comment

I don't know about finding these on YouTube, but....

Try

Starcrash (1978)

Battle Beyond The Stars (1980)

Ice Pirates (1984)

If you want a bad one then track down Space Mutiny (1988). You'll find where they get their "space explosions" to be very interesting.

Those are just a few off the top of my head. I will think about it and try to come up with some older titles that meet your "explosions" criteria.

Comment

Might get hated for that, but does the original BSG fit in this category XD
                  Spoiler:
                  I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                    Might get hated for that, but does the original BSG fit in this category XD
                    No the original BSG does not meet all of the criteria. Those explosions and effects were by no means "low budget" for television back then. They were SUPER expensive, hence the show reused them constantly rather than pay for new shots. Plus it is television and the question was about "films", so you could only count the original BSG Pilot. Unless you wanted to say all of the two part episodes they did could be considered "films" because put together they were feature length.

And since I mentioned it I guess some of my choices didn't really have "low budget" special effects either, but they were certainly "crazy, weird, offbeat" movies. The reality is that we think some of those 70's and 80's films look "low budget" when in fact the productions spent a big chunk on effects. Except Space Mutiny (1988) that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                      No the original BSG does not meet all of the criteria. Those explosions and effects were by no means "low budget" for television back then. They were SUPER expensive, hence the show reused them constantly rather than pay for new shots. Plus it is television and the question was about "films", so you could only count the original BSG Pilot. Unless you wanted to say all of the two part episodes they did could be considered "films" because put together they were feature length.

And since I mentioned it I guess some of my choices didn't really have "low budget" special effects either, but they were certainly "crazy, weird, offbeat" movies. The reality is that we think some of those 70's and 80's films look "low budget" when in fact the productions spent a big chunk on effects. Except Space Mutiny (1988) that is.
                      In fact, the original BSG's effects were done by Industrial Light & Magic, the house that Lucas built for Star Wars, so they were indeed first rate for the era.

Comment

Working...
                      X