Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: I think I figured SGU out.

Point taken for the drones scenes vs BSG first (or second? Can't remember) episode.

Religion themes are literally present in almost EVERY science fiction, so does robots / AIs. To be honest, I think the analogy has been pushed far enough in this thread, I think we'll have to agree to disagree

Default Re: I think I figured SGU out.

Quote Originally Posted by unscheduled traveller View Post
    It's more like segments of similarities. They both come out of a jump right into a battle with countdown clock. They both have a certain amount of time before they can jump again. There and only in a handful of episodes is were any similarities end.
    On BSG in the episode 33 the fleet jumped away every 33 minutes because the cylons were following them and would find them every 33 minutes. They really only used the countdown clock in that episode.

In SGU there's a countdown in basically every episode because Destiny was programmed to jump away after a certain amount of time regardless of whether they wanted to leave or not. Most of the time they were rushing back to the ship so that it didn't leave without them. And from what I remember, a few times they were forced to fight longer than they wanted to because the countdown hadn't run out yet. In the episodes with the drones, the drones were lying in wait every time Destiny came out of FTL (as far as I can remember anyway).

The existence of a countdown clock on both ships is pretty much the only similarity.

Quote Originally Posted by unscheduled traveller View Post
    The religious beliefs in multiple gods vs one god was a major theme throughout BSG from start to finish.
    The higher levels of aliens and whether any one group of them were really gods or just posing was a sideline through out all of the Stargate franchise. Goa'uld, Ori, Asgard, Ancients, Planet Builders, Aliens present at the bigbang etc (even Rush as a demon) all have been confused with gods and were often used as a cop out when there was no other way an sg team was going to get out.
    The god themes in the two series were present but not reminiscent of each other. I was basing the similarities on the jump themes and FX during those scenes and only that.
    I agree that religion in general has always been a pretty big thing throughout Stargate and so it's nothing new and not trying to copy BSG. Belief if a higher power or godlike Aliens was probably only mentioned in depth in only a few episodes of SGU. It sounded like you were saying something different in your previous post on religion, like that SGU dealt with religion or morality excessively. Dealing with moral issues is also nothing new to the Stargate franchise. Jack and Daniel particularly fought over moral issues plenty of times, SGU probably went more in depth on the complexities of those issues, but I thought that was a good thing, since the other shows seemed to gloss over things sometimes because there was only so much time in an episode and once the episode was over (unless it was part of the season arc or something like that), that was it, things rarely carried over from one episode to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    Point taken for the drones scenes vs BSG first (or second? Can't remember) episode.

Religion themes are literally present in almost EVERY science fiction, so does robots / AIs. To be honest, I think the analogy has been pushed far enough in this thread, I think we'll have to agree to disagree
    ^I pretty much agree with this.
    Last edited by VampyreWraith; May 9th, 2018 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Added something that I accidentally deleted when originally posted