I think I figured SGU out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post

That being said, I think the whole premise is much different than BSG, whereas BSG there's a ''plan'' since the beginning and involve elements not covered by SGU such as religion, morality and really intense drama. It's also set in a totally different universe than SG, more realistic so to say (no aliens, teleportation, beam weapons, etc.)
    There has been so much morality and "religious" overtones in SGU it's not funny. It wasn't quite at the forefront like in BSG but there was a major undertow of it, it was almost ruinous of the series.
    The different levels of aliens. Like the planet builders and the aliens present in creation. How the planet builders could rebuild their technology and bodies transport them across galaxies but not rebuild their souls. The two countries on the Futura and the religious split. Whether the aliens present during creation were deities or just more powerful aliens. Quite a few would quote scripture, the list goes on.

Comment

BSG
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVvJE2QRfyU
      SGU
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84eWZtBPDh4

Other parallels. They come out of FTL and are faced with main ships that release smaller attack vessels. The clock is ticking on both shows till they can jump again.

Comment

I think most of the similarities between BSG and SGU are fairly superficial. They're both darker, serialized shows that have people, internal and external conflict, robots (though the drones seemed to be nothing like the Cylons), and mention religion (SGU went no where as deep into religion or religious issues as BSG did). Yeah, there are similarities, but that's kind of the same as saying Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead are similar because they're both darker, serialized shows, that have various groups of people fighting each other and the undead and because both also mention religion to different extents.
        sigpic

Comment

Do you really believe that SG fans only "step out" into scifi for 1 (or 3 really) show?
          Sounds a little odd to me to think that way. While there may be differences on how each of us -see- SG-1 Vs SGA vs SGU, I don't know any of us who exclusively watch "stargate"
          I don't understand what point you're trying to make?

What VampyreWraith said. It's easy to compare on a such a level, you could literally make any parallels such as yours with any show.
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
            I think most of the similarities between BSG and SGU are fairly superficial. They're both darker, serialized shows that have people, internal and external conflict, robots (though the drones seemed to be nothing like the Cylons), and mention religion (SGU went no where as deep into religion or religious issues as BSG did). Yeah, there are similarities, but that's kind of the same as saying Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead are similar because they're both darker, serialized shows, that have various groups of people fighting each other and the undead and because both also mention religion to different extents.
            It's more like segments of similarities. They both come out of a jump right into a battle with countdown clock. They both have a certain amount of time before they can jump again. There and only in a handful of episodes is were any similarities end.
            The religious beliefs in multiple gods vs one god was a major theme throughout BSG from start to finish.
            The higher levels of aliens and whether any one group of them were really gods or just posing was a sideline through out all of the Stargate franchise. Goa'uld, Ori, Asgard, Ancients, Planet Builders, Aliens present at the bigbang etc (even Rush as a demon) all have been confused with gods and were often used as a cop out when there was no other way an sg team was going to get out.
            The god themes in the two series were present but not reminiscent of each other. I was basing the similarities on the jump themes and FX during those scenes and only that.

Comment

Point taken for the drones scenes vs BSG first (or second? Can't remember) episode.

Religion themes are literally present in almost EVERY science fiction, so does robots / AIs. To be honest, I think the analogy has been pushed far enough in this thread, I think we'll have to agree to disagree
              Spoiler:
              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by unscheduled traveller View Post
                It's more like segments of similarities. They both come out of a jump right into a battle with countdown clock. They both have a certain amount of time before they can jump again. There and only in a handful of episodes is were any similarities end.
                On BSG in the episode 33 the fleet jumped away every 33 minutes because the cylons were following them and would find them every 33 minutes. They really only used the countdown clock in that episode.

In SGU there's a countdown in basically every episode because Destiny was programmed to jump away after a certain amount of time regardless of whether they wanted to leave or not. Most of the time they were rushing back to the ship so that it didn't leave without them. And from what I remember, a few times they were forced to fight longer than they wanted to because the countdown hadn't run out yet. In the episodes with the drones, the drones were lying in wait every time Destiny came out of FTL (as far as I can remember anyway).

The existence of a countdown clock on both ships is pretty much the only similarity.

Originally posted by unscheduled traveller View Post
                The religious beliefs in multiple gods vs one god was a major theme throughout BSG from start to finish.
                The higher levels of aliens and whether any one group of them were really gods or just posing was a sideline through out all of the Stargate franchise. Goa'uld, Ori, Asgard, Ancients, Planet Builders, Aliens present at the bigbang etc (even Rush as a demon) all have been confused with gods and were often used as a cop out when there was no other way an sg team was going to get out.
                The god themes in the two series were present but not reminiscent of each other. I was basing the similarities on the jump themes and FX during those scenes and only that.
                I agree that religion in general has always been a pretty big thing throughout Stargate and so it's nothing new and not trying to copy BSG. Belief if a higher power or godlike Aliens was probably only mentioned in depth in only a few episodes of SGU. It sounded like you were saying something different in your previous post on religion, like that SGU dealt with religion or morality excessively. Dealing with moral issues is also nothing new to the Stargate franchise. Jack and Daniel particularly fought over moral issues plenty of times, SGU probably went more in depth on the complexities of those issues, but I thought that was a good thing, since the other shows seemed to gloss over things sometimes because there was only so much time in an episode and once the episode was over (unless it was part of the season arc or something like that), that was it, things rarely carried over from one episode to the next.

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                Point taken for the drones scenes vs BSG first (or second? Can't remember) episode.

Religion themes are literally present in almost EVERY science fiction, so does robots / AIs. To be honest, I think the analogy has been pushed far enough in this thread, I think we'll have to agree to disagree
                ^I pretty much agree with this.
                Last edited by VampyreWraith; 09 May 2018, 01:25 PM. Reason: Added something that I accidentally deleted when originally posted
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X