Starting a rewatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting a rewatch

First time since it originally aired. Are there any noteworthy episodes of season 1 I should watch specifically? I seem to remember there being a lot of faff. Get the feeling I'm going to be skipping around a fair bit.

Thank-you

Strangely enough I found going back to re-watch the first season much easier after I'd watched the whole series. I found it hard going at first up to episode 5 but continuing on paid off. Rewatch it all in sequence as I found there were little things I missed the first and even second time round.

Have you started your re-watch yet? I'd be happy to join you, I haven't re-watched SGU in its entirety for a while now. Been revisiting SG-1 season 8 recently, I'm one of the few who liked that season as well as SGU lol!

Comment

I know this is an older thread, but I started going through and watching again myself just recently. It's only furthered my love for these characters though, which may or may not be a great thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas_Rush View Post
        I know this is an older thread, but I started going through and watching again myself just recently. It's only furthered my love for these characters though, which may or may not be a great thing.
        There is something about how the characters gradually 'grew' on you for better or worse! We were just at the point of knowing these characters when SGU was cancelled I felt. This was sad as I would have loved to have seen how all these people would carry on and make a crew for Destiny or..... self destruct!

Comment

I am just now doing a rewatch as well and there are a ton of things I missed when it was on air. I remember it being this different from SG1 and SGA. The younger edgier darker feel of it and all. It would have been super interesting to do any kind of a SGA - SGU crossover?

S.S.

Comment

So this is a quick update. I made it as far as Sabotage and I had forgotten how much SGU concentrated on character development. And while I love that aspect, the "darkness" of the show just... isn't as fun to watch. Within the mythos of the Starge Gate universe , the mixture of science, action and soap opera, the Soap Opera is over the top. They could have dialed it back about 50% I think.

I think I am falling into the group that really wishes that SGA had gone on and SGU had never happened...

S.S.

Comment

Got as far as Malice earlier sentiment is still holding. I like how well the production is done. In a Q and A Michael Shanks said that he really liked it, it was well produced and very well acted. He also said that the tone was so different that he and RDA felt out of place and that his scene with RDA as guest stars was mostly cut down because it didn't fit the show. He also said that they put more money into it than any other show.

Which REALLY makes me wish (becuse of the budgets) they had continued with SGA and not done SGU. I know SGU lovers out there will hate that but... That where I find myself.

S.S.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaShephard View Post
                Got as far as Malice earlier sentiment is still holding. I like how well the production is done. In a Q and A Michael Shanks said that he really liked it, it was well produced and very well acted. He also said that the tone was so different that he and RDA felt out of place and that his scene with RDA as guest stars was mostly cut down because it didn't fit the show. He also said that they put more money into it than any other show.

Which REALLY makes me wish (becuse of the budgets) they had continued with SGA and not done SGU. I know SGU lovers out there will hate that but... That where I find myself.

S.S.
                Doesn't surprise me that MS liked it, he's quite fund of intense emotional / serious acting. I don't think RDA' scenes were cut down because of that, I think it was cut down because if not so half the budget of SGU would've went in RDA' salary

You're not alone in this, but I'm in the unpopular crowd that really enjoyed it. Personally I found the shift to SGU the best think that could ever happen to Stargate, the show became too repetitive in my opinion. It is true that they shot themselves in the foot with the first season, but the show really picked up his pace and footing late 2nd season. You really should finish S02 though, it has the best episodes. Twin Destinies & Gauntlet are incredible episodes.

I also think SGA needed 1-2 more seasons or 1 season + movie to wrap up. Although the first seasons of SGA seemed to me a clone of SG1 with a little twist, I think the show really got better on its 4th and 5th season.
                Spoiler:
                I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I don't like how they have built up the seasons in Atlantis. They had too many standalone episodes, while more interesting storylines should have been two parters.

The Universe was great and it was getting better and better, but it was a bit too serialized. But since they were always on the track of the ship, there was not really a way to stop and to return to earlier storylines. And I really liked how they managed to integrate the "standalones" into the main plot. Even the Earth based scenes served a purpose (like Lucian attack, Jonas' homeworld, Homeworld Security etc.)

So I don't know which season type is better, but both of them can be enjoyed and loved. It is still sad to hear how many fans haven't watched Universe yet and they couldn't discover the values of this SG show.

And we haven't talked about the Infinity series yet... I know it is not "canon" and the drawings are a bit poor, but it can be still entertaining if you can turn off your expectations and then just simply enjoy the adventures.
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Personally season 1 is one of my favourites so I'd watch all of it if I were you.
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I still stand by Universe. I think it got progressively better every 5 episodes or so as the writers continued to find their feet with the show. That said, there are some stellar moments early - Time is one of the best episodes of Stargate IMHO and that Season 1 2 parter is fantastic too.

By the end of Season 2, I was devastated the show ended. It just kept getting better whereas Atlantis had gotten worse in Season 5. There's some stand-outs in S5 but over all, I think it was a step-down from S2-4.

I just want to know what it is they would have found.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                        I still stand by Universe. I think it got progressively better every 5 episodes or so as the writers continued to find their feet with the show. That said, there are some stellar moments early - Time is one of the best episodes of Stargate IMHO and that Season 1 2 parter is fantastic too.
                        Could not agree with you more on this. Time is my favorite as well, this episode is to me Stargate perfection. This episode has mystery, horror, it's a time travel story and the acting is simply great. I had the shiver watching it the first time, and I really love at the end when Rush says ''And here I thought we were in trouble'' and proceeds to kill himself in the event horizon.

By the end of Season 2, I was devastated the show ended. It just kept getting better whereas Atlantis had gotten worse in Season 5. There's some stand-outs in S5 but over all, I think it was a step-down from S2-4.

I just want to know what it is they would have found.
                        Feeling is mutual
                        Spoiler:
                        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I wish they could have shot that closing movie for Universe. We will never find out what happened with them.

SG:U is worth for a re-watch, because even the first episodes will be accepted differently now that you know the main story and the characters. So when somebody has seen it for the first time, it could be a bit slow and boring, but for the second time you will know and care about these characters, so the judgement of SG:U is also getting better and better.
                          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

This past winter I started a binge re-watch of all 3 series after several year hiatus. Here is what I found most interesting
                            • If SG1 or SGA came out today, while I might watch them I would definitely not feel the same about them. It is just not them that aged, but myself as well.
                            • Both SG1/SGA I found myself fast forwarding a lot.
                            • Most of the dramatic/emotional moments annoyed me the most with the first 2 series, and with SGU they somewhat seem too forced at times. One character's emotional drama with their loved one had me fast forwarding. Opposite to that was the drama of Voelker's failing health, TJ's loss and impending health, Parks loss of sight. These did intrigue me, the relationship drama of people back on Earth just bored me.
                            • With SGU I found one particular character rather annoying this time around, in fact this person became my least favorite. I can't say this was a 100% turnaround, but pretty close. I don't know why I never found this to be true the first time around. There were moments this character made me cringe.
                            • A certain lead character I found myself truly wishing both the actor, the writers, and directors would have done it completely different. A character that I feel could have had the most impact just was not developed well at all. This time around I found myself somewhat annoyed at the powers behind SGU for dropping the ball on this character.
                            • I found several characters I like more, enough that it saddens me I never got to see more of their characters. Smith, Greer, and James. James most of all seemed like a character that if written well could have had more impact on the series. This time around I enjoyed Smith's character more, whereas first time around he did not have that much impact.
                            • My one rather harsh critique would be I wish they never had the communication stones at all. I think at most I would have accepted something similar to short messages that would take days or weeks, the only purpose would be to provide basic information back and forth. I was never a fan of them first time around, but this time I really think they somewhat distracted from the series.
                            • Finally as much as I love The Expanse, SGU was the single Science Fiction show on TV whose story I would loved to have followed for several more years. The whole notion of them on that ship, so far out and alone, and far away from the traditional human English speaking villager of the week of past series. I could be corrected, but this was the first time we did see aliens as well true aliens. Not to get too much in to the critique of past SG shows as well as Trek series, but way too often the Science or Tech is just a Deus Ex, and most of it I would characterize as more Fantasy Fiction than Science Fiction
                            • This time around I loved seeing the scenes of Destiny between galaxies, only wish I could have seen
                            • I ended the 2nd viewing thinking Destiny was the greatest Scifi ship of any series, at least for me. Too often these ships just became magical buses better fit for series like The Magicians. Too much idiotic save the day magical tech that often contracted storylines over time. Destiny was advanced, but not perfect. Intelligently designed and built, but not a magical carpet ride. Destiny made you literally work for the air you breath, there was no free ride. That is what I will miss the most.

SGU in a way killed TV series for me. After SGU I never watched SyFy again, and barely paid attention to most other shows that have come and gone. Ironically I did not start to watch SyFy canceled Expanse until after Amazon announced it had saved the show .

Comment

Speaking of a re-watch, Stargate Command is running episodes on YouTube. Right now they're showing "Life" and "Cloverdale"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOO5Jy7uIAk
                              Total syffy posts: 36,690
                              (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
                              Matthew 5:9

Comment

Working...
                              X