This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
    OMG I KNEW THIS SEEMED FIMILAR!!! I REMEMBER this short lived series.

SALVAGE 1
    Yep, I vaguely remember that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
      But then couldn't you do it on a flat surface area where refraction is not a factor?

P.S. I seem to remember a Russian sci-fi novel where due to refraction, people of a non-space faring civilization thought that they lived on the inside of a hollow sphere.
      no, it wouldn't work on a flat surface, think of it like watching grass grow, it happens at such a gradual pace you don't even notice it, that is until Saturday comes and you are ankle deep in grass and your wife or parent is nagging you to get out there and cut that jungle before some one gets lost in it.

I never heard of that book, though it does seem some what similar to something else I heard of or read, I just don't remember.

Comment

There is a particular mindset that arises with Flatearthers. What it is I don't know but logic and education don't seem to be a part of it.
        Regards,
        Halokim
        The Graveyard Shift

Comment

Originally posted by Halokim View Post
          There is a particular mindset that arises with Flatearthers. What it is I don't know but logic and education don't seem to be a part of it.
          It's actually an interesting mix of education and logic. Smart and science-minded enough to ask good questions, do science and contemplate the bigger picture. Too biased, dumb or conspiracy-minded to make the right deductions. E.g. there's the common "if the earth curves why can i see that city". The proper answer (many a city is taller than whatever curvature you'd see) is often ignored. Research is cherry picked, standard conspiracy answers are applied (evidence to the contrary? it's faked. Pictures from space? fish-eye lens. curvature observations? just an illusion).

Anti-vaxxers have similar features. Bias is most common (e.g. 1000 papers show there's no correlation between autism and vaccines, but they always focus on the 1 that does prove it. Often ignores such stuff as follow-up research or people being exposed as quacks.)

Comment

Working...
          X