does anyone else hate it when people compare star trek to stargate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does anyone else hate it when people compare star trek to stargate

Comments like "stargate is poor man's star trek".. when I personally found them to be completely different so u can't really compare. Did anyone else get comments like that or feel that way?

Yeah, I hear plenty of comments like that and it's super annoying. I don't know about you but I find that a lot of them never even watched stargate, only heard of it and get offended at the suggestion of watching before judging. Every franchise gets its own toxic cult that feels the need to dictate what people watch and like.

sigpic
    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

I've had comments like the ones you've both mentioned for many years.Do I care? Nope.I like both Trek and Gate,plus a shedload of other Scifi/non Scifi shows and I say let them blether on and just ignore them.

If anyone thinks one show's better than another,then it's likely they're just trying to wind you up, and they possibly lack the maturity or perspective to let others enjoy their shows,and watch their own faves.
      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

I cannot say I hate it though it is a bit odd

On the other hand, Star Trek is the mother of all sci-fi series, at least in a way and so it is kind of to be expected they get compared.

Comment

yeah... I've noticed that too-the person who said that to me rarely even watched stargate OR star trek- only briefly saw a few clips or couple of episodes. They're completely different topics & styles.

After star trek TNG Voy and DS9 I found stargate a bit dull but after sitting down and watching a few episodes I was hooked and I actually really enjoyed SG1- it has its own distinct style & humour & isn't even about a ship travelling through space in the 24th century.. so it can't even be compared!

I'm a huge TNG VOY and DS9 fan and miss SG1 so much.. the humour that thingy whats his name brought to it was so much fun...

there's nothing like that these days and nothing on TV that I enjoy as much anymore sadly

Comment

I'm fairly sure I've never seen anyone compare the two.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Doesn't bother me one bit... we each have a right to our own opinion on matters. We can either respect that opinion, ignore it or argue it.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Of the four star franchises: Wars, Trek, Gate, and Search; Stargate is easily my 3rd favorite
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  Doesn't bother me one bit... we each have a right to our own opinion on matters. We can either respect that opinion, ignore it or argue it.
                  that's very true

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    Of the four star franchises: Wars, Trek, Gate, and Search; Stargate is easily my 3rd favorite
                    One of these things is not like the others

Comment

I get comments like this from family and I have to say they are correct and never bring up Stargate among my offline friends. Why? Stargate is and always had been decades behind other scifi franchises and it gets worse as the years go by and more social progress is made and movies such as Zootopia expose and call out xenophobia.

*The original movie: It was awkward and outdated even during the time of its release: white US male savior, all the troops with darker skin tones are killed off, no female role models, and the women are subservient. Also, Ra's obsession with youth and keeping children as slaves was creepy. One of my relatives used to collect the figurines back in the 90s, but moved on from them them even though he still collects other franchise figurines. Another relative will not give SG1 or SGA a chance because of the visceral bad reaction to the movie. Many people judge Stargate by this movie alone without having seen anything else about it.

*Lack of non-human crew members and separateness of humans from other races and species: Most scifi shows have more diverse crew members from various planets and cultures. There is good and bad in every race. Even the Orville gets this correct and that show doesn't even take itself seriously. While Stargate is busy out-grouping and othering, with the exception of Infinity, Farscape, Babylon 5, and Star Trek feature interracial relationships and families.

*Xenophobic and antiquated writing: The tie-ins and now even the Stargate Command site sound as if they are straight from 1950s grade B movie posters, misgendering Stargate races as "it" and saying phrases such as "creature feature." How embarrassing, not to mention violates canon. Not even Ronon talked that way. Again, no other franchise does this. No one would talk about the Ninja Turtles, Chewbacca, Transformers, Pilot, D'Argo, Data, etc. this way. If MGM can't respect their own world-building, why should the general public? Treat Stargate as a grade B film, rather than a sophisticated scifi show, and so will the audience.

*Stargate Origins and related content only being legally open to 6 countries in an age of global internet. *headdesk*

By contrast, Star Trek was ahead of its time, even back in the 60s when oppressions against marginalized groups were even more rampant.

I like Stargate and its alien races, especially the Wraith, but the franchise does need some catch-up just to benchmark. Origins had a few tropes in it, but was nice to see a strong female presence and diversity among the Goa'uld. I would like to see more diversity going forward, more Asian presence, and see projects such as a Jaffa prequel with Christopher Judge having major inputs, and leave the xenophobic stuff behind. As one of his shirts says, Black Heroes Matter.
                      Last edited by WraithTech; 14 May 2018, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Whenever someone asks me whether I prefer Star Trek or Star Wars, I reply Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by unscheduled traveller View Post
                          Whenever someone asks me whether I prefer Star Trek or Star Wars, I reply Stargate
                          I am asked this too and it is a problem that Stargate doesn't even factor into the question-- a marketing problem that MGM should not be ignoring. Stargate has been along the sideline for too long and only 6 countries eligible to watch Origins isn't helping.

Comment

Originally posted by unscheduled traveller View Post

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
                            I am asked this too and it is a problem that Stargate doesn't even factor into the question-- a marketing problem that MGM should not be ignoring. Stargate has been along the sideline for too long and only 6 countries eligible to watch Origins isn't helping.
                            Same here... I'm more inclined to say Star Wars these days. I'm literally better appreciated by Disney and Lucasfilm than I am by MGM.

Okay, perhaps I should also admit that I was part of the team that build the Millenium Falcon for the Solo tour -- but still, Disney/Lucasfilm wins.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

We don't have to compare them. If you like fruits, you can try grapes and a little cherry. They won't taste the same, but they are fruits...

I like Star Trek, but I have never become a hardcore fan. I haven't had time to watch all the series, but I have seen the movies and the latest show, the Star Trek : Discovery. I like the positive feeling of this franchise.

But Stargate has always won my heart as it mixes different story elements : fantasy, scifi, crime, adventure, comedy. No other scifi shows could make me feel that I can step into an other world through the stargate. I really love how they have built Earth's the technological upgrade up season by season while the viewers can still feel these stories could happen in reality as well.

So my vote goes definately for Star Gate, but as I said we don't have to chose.
                              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Working...
                              X