No announcement yet.

does anyone else hate it when people compare star trek to stargate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To me, Star Wars is worse than Gate (what the owners are doing with, not the franchise itself). After Disney acquired it, they erased 40 years of hard work by simply saying they're starting over with the canon. While the original material still exists, no new Expanded Universe works are being developed; all new material has to follow Disney Canon. MGM hasn't gone that far yet, though everything else they did and didn't do is making it close. If they followed Emmerich/Devlins reboot trilogy, then it would have gone too far.

Still, it's not getting any better. But I still prefer 'Gate over Wars or Trek, or anything else out there.

Comment

I like ice cream, stargate is just a flavour.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
        I like ice cream, stargate is just a flavour.
        I like milkshakes, but I prefer strawberry

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
          After Disney acquired it, they erased 40 years of hard work by simply saying they're starting over with the canon.
          I'm happy they did. The EU had some cool stories, but holy hell did it have a lot of trash.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Okay, perhaps I should also admit that I was part of the team that build the Millenium Falcon for the Solo tour -- but still, Disney/Lucasfilm wins.
            That’s awesome! Congrats!

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
            We don't have to compare them. If you like fruits, you can try grapes and a little cherry. They won't taste the same, but they are fruits...
            I think it is OK to compare and that one can’t help it, even if not choosing, especially with speed to market and which shows came first to benchmark, as Az'ryel said about Star Trek having such an advantage there. I find myself comparing how SGA comics compare to other comics publishers and franchises and even previous SGA comics and how Stargate ships compare to other franchises. There are dozens of starship comparison charts on Google, including this one with Unicron who would eat many of those ships for breakfast and say each ship won't taste the same, but they are ships: https://imgur.com/gallery/7yZDK4u

Comment

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
              That’s awesome! Congrats!
              Kathleen Kennedy came to visit the replica build a couple of days ago, and one of our guys is there to oversee the build-up so that nothing gets broken up too much. She was thoroughly impressed (we did not mention that the chess table was actually the one from her office and it may have sustained some "battle damage" -- -- which we did not inflict by the way).
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I am not against comparing both franchise, since both are space-themed sci-fi. Similarities end there, never been a Trek fan (Discovery is quite good though) so definitely Stargate .

Falcon, how big is the replica build you're making? That's really cool!
                Spoiler:
                I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

it may have sustained some "battle damage" -- -- which we did not inflict by the way).

Comment

Okay, perhaps I should also admit that I was part of the team that build the Millenium Falcon for the Solo tour -- but still, Disney/Lucasfilm wins.
                    That's pretty awesome.

I am asked this too and it is a problem that Stargate doesn't even factor into the question-- a marketing problem that MGM should not be ignoring. Stargate has been along the sideline for too long and only 6 countries eligible to watch Origins isn't helping.
                    The series has over the top arch villains.
                    Comedic references to the cast's prior work incorporated into the script.
                    Last minute save in almost every episode.
                    Geeky female scientist meets military guy not quite love affair.
                    They even have an episode with Adam Baldwin saying Adam Baldwin stuff.
                    I think of SG1 as the longest running cult classic. Probably why so little advertising. Yay El Ray!
                    -
                    Overall though, I think of the original three Star Wars movies as kid movies. I loved them as a teen. spent years misquoting Yoda etc. When the movies were released again decades later they just weren't the same. Guess I was older, my tastes changed.
                    Star Trek is definitely good. Went through the original series as an adult and saw the comedy and slapstick that went over my head as a kid. I've also watched the Phase Two series and plenty of the better done cannon fan films.
                    The next Generation, I liked it overall and watched it in the nineties every week. Ensign Roe was one of my favorite characters. Reminded me a little of a female version of me in the military. It's just that Jean Luke seemed to think he could solve the problems of the galaxy over a cup of earl grey.
                    DS9 is probably one of my favorites. A little darker than the rest.

Comment

... who would eat many of those ships for breakfast and say each ship won't taste the same, but they are ships:
                      Sounds like a Replicator propaganda.

I believe the SG brand could have been much stronger if the novels would have been published during the television shows. Or if they could have released official SG games. Stargate : Worlds was so promising. The concept arts looked so good as we could have seen such worlds and aliens what they could never afford in the tv shows. This MMORPG could have really supported the franchise with new viewers as they were planning to have effect on each other (live action shows vs. game storylines).

Or they should have released more extra informations books about planets, races, events. RPG books and the season books were okay. The comics were pretty mediocre. I have never read any novels, so I can't comment about them.

What I feel if MGM would have supported the building of quality merchandise products then it Stargate could really stepup into the bronze cup position after Star Wars and Star Trek. But I believe it is still good to be the 3rd best and biggest scifi franchise in tv history.
                      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                        Falcon, how big is the replica build you're making? That's really cool!
                        It fills three shipping containers. Our club's facebook page holds several photos of the build and the prep-work, and some of the interior shots. Page also includes some of our other stuff (like the TaunTaun and the Jurassic World gate, and possible you'll also find our lifesize stargate there).

We were given set photos and actual floorplans to build this thing. Have been keeping my mouth shut since January -- which I can assure you is a very long time to keep something quiet (but signed a non-disclosure form so err... that helps).

Official info on the Millenium Falcon Experience.

Comment

Originally posted by unscheduled traveller View Post
                          The series has over the top arch villains.
                          Comedic references to the cast's prior work incorporated into the script.
                          Good points. SG1 is more comedic than other series, with such references and villains as Nerus. SG1 even takes jabs at the original movie, especially the quip about the two Ls.

Or they should have released more extra informations books about planets, races, events. RPG books and the season books were okay. The comics were pretty mediocre. I have never read any novels, so I can't comment about them.
                          More action figures would have been great. Later SGA episodes could have been represented, as well as SGU. Also, some great ship models, so that fans don't have to make 3D prints.

The novels I read were mostly terrible and I would be embarrassed if my friends working at bookstores would see them if I sold them to a book reseller. The early Legacy stuff was enjoyable, and I stress early Legacy. The current SGA American Mythology comics are OK so far, better than the Avatar Press ones, but the delays between issues are notorious.

Wow! Thanks for sharing.
                          Last edited by WraithTech; 15 May 2018, 12:38 PM.

Comment

It fills three shipping containers. Our club's facebook page holds several photos of the build and the prep-work, and some of the interior shots. Page also includes some of our other stuff (like the TaunTaun and the Jurassic World gate, and possible you'll also find our lifesize stargate there).

We were given set photos and actual floorplans to build this thing. Have been keeping my mouth shut since January -- which I can assure you is a very long time to keep something quiet (but signed a non-disclosure form so err... that helps).

This is awesome! Will check it when I get back home for sure! (FB is blocked at work )
                            Spoiler:
                            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

The Stargate : Worlds could have been a unique experience as they really wanted to be a new foot of the franchise where computer games and tv shows support each other. Something similar has happened with Defiance, but I have never became a big fan of that world.

If you haven't tried the Mass Effect games before, I would strongly suggest it. Clever NPCs with memorable diaglogues and amazing voice actors, interesting races, locations and technologies and really good athmosphere. That was the best scifi what I have seen in the last few years. I wish they could make a tv show from it.
                              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Wow! Thanks for sharing.
                                You're welcome.

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                                This is awesome! Will check it when I get back home for sure! (FB is blocked at work )
                                Funnily enough, one of the things not blocked at my work.

The Stargate : Worlds could have been a unique experience as they really wanted to be a new foot of the franchise where computer games and tv shows support each other. Something similar has happened with Defiance, but I have never became a big fan of that world.
                                I was quite excited about Stargate: Worlds.

I watched Defiance, but never played the game. I should try that some time.

Comment

Working...
                                X