Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    As the Shenzhou's bridge

Split image of 'Terran' Discovery bridge on top and Section 31 bridge bottom
    Nice. I haven't noticed it. I was fooled by the set designers.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Yeah most of those I can't take credit for recognizing/knowing myself The engine/torpedo room, the Terran throne room/strip club, the pieces of the tomb ship in the strip club, and the corridors - all of those I learned from that Discovery event I went to in Toronto a couple months ago, when there was a Q&A with the production design team after they screened the Season 1 finale.

The Enterprise bridge being brand new I read about here (and I'm not just posting that for proof - it's kind of a neat read to find out production design stuff!)

The one I can take credit for recognizing is the Shenzhou bridge being redressed to be the S31 ship bridge. It's the triangular support posts around the upper level of the S31 bridge - I recognized those right away as being from around the perimeter of the Shenzhou bridge...and it was also recycled during Season 1 as the bridge of the Discovery after they'd modified the ship to look Terran

As the Shenzhou's bridge

Split image of 'Terran' Discovery bridge on top and Section 31 bridge bottom
      Unfortunately, that video won't work for me.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

The three different Enterprise bridge : from TOS, reboot movies and DIS 2x13 :

ENT bridges.jpg

So DIS has made a nice job as it really looks similar to the TOS, while the screen became much wider.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Co-showrunner Michelle Paradise on the end of Season 2:

Spoiler:
          (Source for what I'm copy/pasting below).

Alex Kurtzman’s co-showrunner (and co-writer of the season finale) Michelle Paradise discussed “Such Sweet Sorrow” with Entertainment Tonight, explaining the reasoning behind the solution to how to sync the show with canon:
          Wrapping this story up and being clear that because of the danger that Control presented, because of the spore drive, because of this time-traveling technology… for those reasons and to prevent any dangerous entities from trying to access these things again, we must nip it in the bud. The lying about it is a protection for Starfleet. That’s the reason that they do it and it is also to make sure that if Section 31 has any designs on doing the next version of Control, that it can’t get out of control — no pun intended — and create a similar problem in the future. It was about answering the season two story, eliminating the threat of Control so that we, as viewers, understand Control has been eliminated. The goal of this season was to take care of this problem and we have taken care of this problem successfully. And at the same time, that also puts us in line with canon. Those were the reasons that we did that.
          The executive producer and writer provided some background on their approach to wrapping up the sibling arc of Spock and Burnham:
          We had done a lot of work on the Burnham and Spock relationship over the course of this season. We knew from the beginning that we wanted to start them in a place where they were fractured and that the journey of the season would be to bring them back together and heal the wounds between them. Of course, he has to go on the Enterprise at some point, so you bring their relationship to a satisfying conclusion where the hurts of the past have been healed and where they have been able to help, support and influence one another. We talked a lot about what Spock could give to Burnham and what Burnham could give to Spock. Over the course of the season, we see that play out in a number of different episodes, leading to this culmination where they share with one another the ways in which they’re better and the ways in which they need one another and the ways in which they are okay knowing that she must go on to do this mission and he must return to the Enterprise. We were trying to find the best possible way to honor their sibling relationship and end them in a positive way.
          Paradise also confirmed that when Michael was advising Spock to seek out his “opposite,” the writers were alluding to a specific character Spock will encounter in the future:
          Absolutely. That is definitely Kirk.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Ok, I'm still in two minds about the time jump for season 3.

However, since the Discovery is heavily damaged, and carrying a lot of wounded crew, this gives cast members an opportunity to leave the show if they choose not to renew their contracts.

Long running shows get more expensive to make season after season. Actor's salaries go up for example.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

That's a very real possibility I suppose...though I hope not. Besides loving this crew, I also really hate it when shows give us the "oh yeah btw they died between last time you saw us and now" treatment.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I’m actually hoping for a bit of a time jump. As the season starts we see Discovery blacked out and in orbit of Terralysium and the crew are on the planet’s surface living their lives, possibly on some out the way area that is separated from the rest of the planet’s population and Burnham making visits to her mom who helped them settle in. And then something happens that leads them to need to go back up to Discovery.

Alternatively it would be great to see them get there just in time to find Terralysium has begun to grow advanced enough that they are attempting their own Warp jump.
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                  I’m actually hoping for a bit of a time jump. As the season starts we see Discovery blacked out and in orbit of Terralysium and the crew are on the planet’s surface living their lives, possibly on some out the way area that is separated from the rest of the planet’s population and Burnham making visits to her mom who helped them settle in. And then something happens that leads them to need to go back up to Discovery.
                  A little bit New Caprica? I could get on board with that.

Comment

A little bit New Caprica? I could get on board with that.
                    Yeah something like that. Maybe focus on the fact that at the end of the day a starship is still a starship and most people would rather live on a planet. Plus I mean as far as we’ve seen this crew really hasn’t had much of a break. They had the Peace Accords in Paris so I’m guessing they had some Earth downtime but otherwise these guys have been in the thick of it almost non-stop.
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                    X