No announcement yet.

Star Trek Discovery Season 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That the best episode of STD so, awesome, they sorted out the graphics so everything isn't a blurred mess like season 1, the story was cool, Captain pike was instantly likable, even if his fake persona of being Mr Nice guy grew a few cracks in it through the episode.

Really the only thing I didn't like was Spock storyline and his step sister, really could have done without all of that rubbish. An knowing the klingons are going to show up, put a massive dampeners on future episodes.

I reckon this mysterious red angel is an Iconian. It look similar to the design of the aliens in Star trek online. An even STNG computers went haywire around Iconian technology and its transmissions.

Tilly is still the best character on the show.

Hope we see more of Jet Reno and her kids, just not in medical bay, man the medics on std got a lot of work patching up those crewman. An how did she survive for 10 months on that asteroid? and where is the rest of her crew?
    Last edited by knowles2; 18 January 2019, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
      Awesome episode. I need to say that I am an absolute novice when it comes to Star Trek, I only watched a couple movies but I got hooked on Discovery last year. Great show. The CGI is simply beautiful. Not sure if we should use spoilers but I will just in case since it only aired yesterday.

1- I got the feeling that something is not right in regards to the reason why Spock wasn't on the Enterprise. The explanation given by the Captain gave me the impression that he is hiding something. Is it just me being paranoid?
      The captain certainly got a darker side to him than the light fluffy side he presented to the crew in this episode, we saw a few glimpses through it through.

An yeah I think he hiding something but I think that just because it the default nature of the writers behind the show, all of the character they create or build upon have secrets.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
        That the best episode of STD so, awesome, they sorted out the graphics so everything isn't a blurred mess like season 1, the story was cool, Captain pike was instantly likable, even if his fake persona of being Mr Nice guy grew a few cracks in it through the episode.

Really the only thing I didn't like was Spock storyline and his step sister, really could have done without all of that rubbish. An knowing the klingons are going to show up, put a massive dampeners on future episodes.

I reckon this mysterious red angel is an Iconian. It look similar to the design of the aliens in Star trek online. An even STNG computers went haywire around Iconian technology and its transmissions.

Tilly is still the best character on the show.

Hope we see more of Jet Reno and her kids, just not in medical bay, man the medics on std got a lot of work patching up those crewman. An how did she survive for 10 months on that asteroid? and where is the rest of her crew?
        See I keep thinking Iconians too. I don't think it is but it is what my mind jumped to given how they appear when they turn up in star trek online.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Thoughts on season 2 so far.

The writers are finding their feet with the characters, and are writing to each cast members strengths.
          The cast are more comfortable with their characters, and can indulge themselves a little.

Favourite characters: Tilly, of course. How she manages to cram that great mass of red hair into such a tiny bun is one of the show's great mysteries.
          Her day in the limelight in the Short Trek "Runaway" was a hoot. The trashed mess hall, and the way the incoming shift didn't bat an eyelash at her babbled non-explanation - as if it's a regular occurrence - had me in stitches.

Then in "New Eden", where she's escaped from sickbay and dashes onto the bridge - still in her hospital gown - to technobabble her way to a solution to the problem of the radiation. The "Tilly's being strange again" look that Lt. Detmer at the helm shares with Lt. Owosekun at navigation is just priceless.

She's like the archetypal "annoying kid sister". She's smart, no doubt about that, but unlike Wesley Crusher she's smart enough not to shove it people's faces.
          Four years of Starfleet Academy will have rubbed of most of her rough edges. The Shenzhou,
          and now the Discovery, are her first assignment, she's desperate to make a good impression and make friends.

Overall, the series is starting to feel more and more like ToS. The humour is there for a start.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
            Thoughts on season 2 so far.

The writers are finding their feet with the characters, and are writing to each cast members strengths.
            The cast are more comfortable with their characters, and can indulge themselves a little.

Favourite characters: Tilly, of course. How she manages to cram that great mass of red hair into such a tiny bun is one of the show's great mysteries.
            Her day in the limelight in the Short Trek "Runaway" was a hoot. The trashed mess hall, and the way the incoming shift didn't bat an eyelash at her babbled non-explanation - as if it's a regular occurrence - had me in stitches.

Then in "New Eden", where she's escaped from sickbay and dashes onto the bridge - still in her hospital gown - to technobabble her way to a solution to the problem of the radiation. The "Tilly's being strange again" look that Lt. Detmer at the helm shares with Lt. Owosekun at navigation is just priceless.

She's like the archetypal "annoying kid sister". She's smart, no doubt about that, but unlike Wesley Crusher she's smart enough not to shove it people's faces.
            Four years of Starfleet Academy will have rubbed of most of her rough edges. The Shenzhou,
            and now the Discovery, are her first assignment, she's desperate to make a good impression and make friends.

Overall, the series is starting to feel more and more like ToS. The humour is there for a start.
            Just pointing out that Tilly never served on the Shenzhou. She was likely still at the Academy then.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
              Just pointing out that Tilly never served on the Shenzhou. She was likely still at the Academy then.
              I thought I was chief nitpicker around here.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I stand corrected.
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                  I thought I was chief nitpicker around here.
                  You are but you weren't around, Digi.

Comment

Of the non-regular guest characters, I love Jett Reno.

The way she just drifts in and out of the ongoing plot, as if she's wandered in from a completely different series, and she's so laid back about things.

But I suppose being on your own for the better part of a year, on a heavily damaged, crashed starship, with no one to talk to but your unconscious crewmates, would lead to one or two eccentricities.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                      You are but you weren't around, Digi.

Of the non-regular guest characters, I love Jett Reno.

The way she just drifts in and out of the ongoing plot, as if she's wandered in from a completely different series, and she's so laid back about things.

But I suppose being on your own for the better part of a year, on a heavily damaged, crashed starship, with no one to talk to but your unconscious crewmates, would lead to one or two eccentricities.
                      I really like her too! I wasn't quite sure what to expect, because I know Tig Notaro as a comedian rather than an actor, but she's really knocked it out of the park.
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

I really like her too! I wasn't quite sure what to expect, because I know Tig Notaro as a comedian rather than an actor, but she's really knocked it out of the park.
                        Agreed. I really like how’s portrayed as just a bit of a grease monkey. But she’s also clearly a genius given how she used her tech knowledge to keep the crew of her ship alive.

Comment

I bet she could give Scotty a run for his money as an engineering miracle worker.
                          sigpic

Comment

I bet she could give Scotty a run for his money as an engineering miracle worker.
                            Hmmm. Not sure I’d go that far. Maybe on par with Torres though. Works with what she’s given and isn’t afraid to break the rules if it saves the day.

Comment

One thing I'd like to see is an older NCO character, a bit like Chief O'Brien.

He or she isn't an Academy graduate, they enlisted in Starfleet as an adult.
                              sigpic

Comment

Can it happen that the Ba'ul = Controll = Borg? So they have controlled the Kelpians via the pylons. We couldn't see their real face. Then the AI of the Ba'ul was escaping and it wants to controll everything as its program says, so that could be a reason it searches ways to produce a "human" form. Then disappeared forwards or backwards in time or they will be sent far away with a remote spore drive to an other part or quadrant of the galaxy where the crew of Discovery believe they can't hurt anyone. But then they return even stronger as the Borg...
                                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Working...
                                X