Fan Fiction/Derived Work legality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nivao View Post
    What if MGM could make a similar deal to open up Stargate for legal fan fiction?
    Fandemonium does exactly that. Legal fanfiction.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
      I looked around a bit myself and as well could not find anything like that. My guess for that would be either that there is nothing like that or that no one actually thinks a fan fiction could get more popular than an original work
      Tracking down the inputs for such an equation would be almost impossible given the spread of the source material internationally, in various media outlets digital and physical, with multiple episodes, and also subtracting page views on both the source material and the fanworks, from bots, repeat visitors having to reload pages for each new chapter, page views by repeat visitors for responding to comments, and page views from the authors themselves. In chapter-by-chapter fanfics, if there are 30 chapters, that could be 30 visits from 1 reader. Not to mention some digital visitors have tracker blocking software and can't be accounted for.

Originally posted by nivao View Post
      Excellent idea! I hope more franchises get on board with this.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      Fandemonium does exactly that. Legal fanfiction.
      Yes. And, only available as an option for a very small set of already established writers.

Addendum: Not legal everywhere or forever either. Licenses are for limited areas and for limited times.
      Last edited by WraithTech; 09 April 2018, 06:20 AM.

Comment

If what you want me to prove that exactly what I said "more people reading" is true, I can't give you that. I can--if you pay me to take the time--find you a legal opinion judging fair use according to the derivative work's impact on the sale of the original, in which the "fair use" was deemed to not be fair. Doing legal research is how I make my living.

But, frankly, unless you're willing to pay me, it's not worth my time to do the research for a free bulletin board full of people who have a vested interest in arguing that fan fiction is fair use.

You should never take legal advice from a non-lawyer (including me), and free legal advice is always worth exactly what you pay for it. Not all fan fiction is fair use. There is no automatic formula for avoiding infringement (such as "if you change ten things"). Copyright holders who go after amateurs are not being nasty; they're protecting their property, as they have every right to do.

Seaboe
        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
          If what you want me to prove that exactly what I said "more people reading" is true, I can't give you that.
          OK.

I can--if you pay me to take the time--find you a legal opinion judging fair use according to the derivative work's impact on the sale of the original, in which the "fair use" was deemed to not be fair.
          I can find some of these for myself, thanks.

You should never take legal advice from a non-lawyer (including me), and free legal advice is always worth exactly what you pay for it.
          Agree, especially from faceless strangers on the internet, who all come from different places with different laws and/or may be using non-current information.

Copyright holders who go after amateurs are not being nasty;
          Whoever said that wasn't me, so I will let that person respond.
          Last edited by WraithTech; 09 April 2018, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Copyright holders who go after amateurs are not being nasty; they're protecting their property, as they have every right to do.
            As Disney does.
            The one receiving the notice might think otherwise, but ultimately it's not their property to do with as they please.

Comment

Especially because the OP mentioned extensive world-building, another thing to consider about offering free fanfics vs. having a licensed publisher sell them is that there could be a cost in the long run-- not a monetary cost, but one of sovereignty.

Licenses do not last forever. How would you share your work after the publisher can no longer legally sell it either? Remember ROC?

What happens if you want to publish a sequel and the publisher is no longer licensed or denies the sequel?

Before printing, would you be OK with scenes being cut and restraints made on content, such as pairing discrimination, by either the book publisher editor or by MGM’s editors?

How about a book cover you do not get to design?

After your story is printed, would you be OK with other authors with the same publisher using your original characters and/or world-building in their published works? What about using them in ways not true to how you designed them, in ways you might find ethically objectionable, or even degrading (misgendering, calling their stuff slimy, and whatnot), confusing or even alienating your fans?

How about bundling your subsequent works in with other works, such that fans of your work don’t know to look for them and/or don’t want to pay for the whole bundle?

Would you be able to tell the editor, who is the gatekeeper of your future sequels and also and your paycheck distributor, “No” to any of these things?

If I had a story with as much world-building and little interaction with the original material, as the OP seemed to indicate, I would scrap the Stargate parts, make up some other form of space travel for my original characters to get around, and publish an original work.
              Last edited by WraithTech; 15 April 2018, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Isn't it ironic that fanfiction.net, AO3, Wattpad, etc. can be legally accessed in more places in the world than the licensed material and even Origins? Especially Origins.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
                  Isn't it ironic that fanfiction.net, AO3, Wattpad, etc. can be legally accessed in more places in the world than the licensed material and even Origins? Especially Origins.
                  LOL!! Irony at its finest, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                  X