Fan Fiction/Derived Work legality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan Fiction/Derived Work legality

I’m thinking of writing a current timeline Stargate story, and depending how well I can make the quality, I would like to publish or even sell the story. What can I do and not do if I want to avoid legal trouble? Does MGM have a position on derivative works?
    This is my story idea, at least to begin with. It’s in the current timeline, and begins when the Lucian Alliance comes to reassert itself over a World called Reygor. Terron, the leader of the world is asked by the alliance to participate in an attack against Earth, but when he realizes the Alliance plan will result in the death of thousands of civillians, who are supposed to be protected by the allience, he refuses. Kurt watches his father get tortured and then beheaded by Kara, the officer from the allience, in front of about a hundred thousand people in the Reygor capital. After evading the Alliance he barely makes it through the Stargate to a world his mother told him is an Earth outpost. The whole of the first episode or chapter is focused on what happens on Reygor, and the audience isn’t introduced to the Stargate, or any Earth activity in this chapter, except when Kurt escapes at the end. While the chapter hints at this attack, it’s not made obvious to the audience yet that it’s against Earth.
    The second chapter goes back in time five years to when the Stargate program went public in 2013. This informs the audience as to the events of the Stargate program, and brings in the needed information for Earths place in the galaxy five years later in 2018. Things seemed relatively stable in the galaxy, so a secret G20 meeting decided to go public. US Secretary of State Scott Johnston gives the speech that informs the public and the reader that Earth had discovered a device left by a civilization referred to as the ancients throughout the galaxy, found that life was seeded in several galaxies, and because of the threats some rogue civilizations posed could not go public till now - those threats dealt with. It details the aftermath, that the public received the “new normal” with little to no civil disobedience, and several changes where made to mainstream technology featured in every day life. A number of reforms were made: These included a joint Space Force for all members of NATO, also extended to Australia, and New Zealand, an Eastern European Space Force dominated by the Russians, and an Asian Space Force partnership; A UN Charter for Earth exploration and settlement of other worlds, Intergalactic Law, trade and interaction with non Earth civilizations and organizations.

The story would by Stargate mythology in content, use the GOT storyline structure and be on a civilizational scale including but not limited to focus on Earth, as opposed to focusing on one team. There would be a special ops unit, like the SG teams that make up a number of the main characters, but a number of Earth and non Earth people would also be features as main characters as well. They wouldn’t always have interaction, but there paths will all cross at different points in the book

Not sure, but I think if you are writing it to eventually sell, you must get permission from MGM.

Comment

Making any money for selling stories in a copyrighted IP is a big no no.

The Fifty Shades of Grey series started out a Twilight fanfic, Christian Grey was Edward Cullen and Anastacia Steele was Bella Swan. When E.L. James decided to commercially publish her fanfic called Master of the Universe, she had to rename the characters and change a whole of details.
      No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
      It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by Lokigod View Post
        I’m thinking of writing a current timeline Stargate story, and depending how well I can make the quality, I would like to publish or even sell the story. What can I do and not do if I want to avoid legal trouble? Does MGM have a position on derivative works?
        First of all, every piece of fanfic is literally copyright infringement because you are using characters not your own and place them in different situations you dreamt up. Hence why you see those little disclaimers on most fics which usually state that characters aren't the author's property and they are just playing around with them for fun.

As long as you are not making money off your fanfic, you're more or less playing in a grey area. The moment, you want to publish your stories with the intent to make money, you leave that grey area and either infringe on copyrighted material owned by MGM if you didn't ask permission first and obtained a license (which doesn't come cheap), or you obtain a license from MGM and an OK to actually publish your story (with Fandemonium for example). But MGM will have final say on the matter nevertheless.

Basically, send in your idea and an extract to Fandemonium and/or MGM if you're serious about it, and make sure you're legally covered as an author.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Why are you asking a bunch of amateurs this question? If you want to write and publish this story, you need to approach the publishing company that puts out the Stargate books (if they still do).

Good luck.

Seaboe
          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
            Why are you asking a bunch of amateurs this question? If you want to write and publish this story, you need to approach the publishing company that puts out the Stargate books (if they still do).
            Hey now, it's the amateurs who have to be careful not to cross that infringement line.

Comment

Yes, but if you want to publish a derivative work, and there exists a publisher who publishes such, then the only way to find out if you can publish your story is to contact that publisher. Amateurs asking other amateurs how to get published legally is a waste of time.

Seaboe
              If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                Yes, but if you want to publish a derivative work, and there exists a publisher who publishes such, then the only way to find out if you can publish your story is to contact that publisher. Amateurs asking other amateurs how to get published legally is a waste of time.
                I'm offended you think my knowledge of such matters is bogus.

Your point is obviously valid. Fandemonium might be a good starting point -- actually, I think Fandemonium is the only starting point.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  Fandemonium might be a good starting point -- actually, I think Fandemonium is the only starting point.
                  Because they got their license after ROC's expired, I wonder if only 1 publisher can print at any time.

@Lokigod, good luck with Fandy though. I've read from other writers that they only take on authors who have published works and that MGM discontinued a story someone made with only brief interaction with the established SG teams (not sure if that was ROC or Fandy). Fandy also appears harder than ever to get into, with a settled author base. I've seen one newer pro writer get in, but through a lot of shared interests and interacting with multiple author accounts.

I think you are better off taking pride in your own work and publishing it, not for profit, but for the love of it. You will need to do the work letting others know the work exists by posting links here in threads and signatures and also optimize your site/blog or fanfic site description for search engines. It also helps if you have a niche or target audience in mind, because they will search and they will find you.

There is always a chance any fandom owner could say 'no' to fanworks, but it isn't too common, because that is free publicity as long as they are credited and the works are respectful. Here are some writers who currently dissuade fanworks, a list at the bottom: https://www.fanfiction.net/guidelines/

An organization for fanwork creators: http://www.transformativeworks.org/legal/

An interview about fanwork laws: https://techgnotic.deviantart.com/jo...-Law-326536193

An example of a fan-made novel by another Gateworlder, professionally presented for free reading (and, now an internationally-published author): http://www.jenniferfoehnerwells.com/...memoratia.html
                  She even gives instructions on how to convert the book into other formats, such as .pdf.

Comment

Fanzines?

Option?
                    I don't know exactly what they do or how they work, but possibility?

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      Fanzines?

Option?
                      I don't know exactly what they do or how they work, but possibility?
                      Excellent idea. There are a few Stagate ones floating around, including compilations of fanfics with fanart that illustrates the stories and/or fits the story themes (with the permission of all of the writers and artists involved). The .pdfs are distributed freely. There have also been printed copies of used (presumably used because they are older) printed zines for sale on auction sites (that selling is questionable and not recommended).

Fanlore has a list of some examples of fanzines.

EDIT: Some of these printed zines must be collector items, based on what sellers are asking!
                      Last edited by WraithTech; 30 March 2018, 08:42 AM.

Comment

One of the senior writers (Sally Malcolm) at Fandemonium got started writing SG-1 fanfics.
                        No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                        It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
                          One of the senior writers (Sally Malcolm) at Fandemonium got started writing SG-1 fanfics.
                          Doesn't she own Fandemonium though? It is easy to publish your own works when you own the company.

EDIT (looked it up): Wikia says "joint owner and chief editor" and does not list the other owner.
                          Last edited by WraithTech; 30 March 2018, 02:55 PM.

Comment

According to dA's rules for copyright, selling things that can be considered as fan art is not allowed and even if you do not want to use fan art commercially, you are better off asking for permission to publish it

But publishing to sell is not a thing companies or owners of the material like at all

Comment

Anything that has a negative impact on the sale of the work by the copyright holder is copyright infringement. Whether or not you make money at it is irrelevant. If more people are reading your free stuff than the officially sanctioned stuff, you're in violation. They're unlikely to come after you if you're not making money, but that doesn't make you less in violation.

And your little disclaimer means nothing.

Seaboe (btw, IANAL, but I know a fair amount about the law)

Comment

Working...
                              X