Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GateWorld Fan Art Gallery

Hello Everyone!

So if you haven't seen already Gateworld has a new Stargate Fan Art Gallery for all the amazing art that the Stargate Fandom makes! I was lucky enough to be the first artist featured in the gallery - you can check the article out here

I am also going be curating the gallery, which is going to be fun! Going to start by making this thread. You can post work in progress shots, ask questions get advice and chat about Stargate Artwork. I want to see everything! Old/new drawings, doodles, oil paintings, collages... any kind of creative art work will be looked at (as long as they follow the gateworld fan art rules)

I look forward to seeing all your work and having interesting conversations on here!
    Attached Files

Wonderful idea and art!

Comment

It is a very good idea! I wish you good luck. But honestly this should have happened years ago. I have seen a few talented SG fan here, so hopefully we can see more collections in the future.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Great idea. I love that the phone backgrounds are dedicated to various worlds including their gate addresses. I'm not talented in that way myself, unfortunately have nothing to contribute, but I really appreciate works of other fans.

Comment

The Twitter account looks to be active. 480 votes in 13 hours for an art challenge theme:
          https://twitter.com/StargateFanArt

Comment

Thanks guy's!

I want this forum to be a kind of ideas brainstorming area! so feel free to through out suggestions. It would be great to see work in progress as well as finished art on here. If you find amazing work on the inter webs then post that work here too (with the artists name) I also want to encourage people who may think art isn't their thing to give it a go too! We have to help each other and be supportive!

What do you think can we create a place like that?

Who is going to take part in this weeks weekly challenge? its looking like the theme could be Milky Way Stargate or Puddle Jumper, I can already think of a great Puddle Jumper image from the series! I will be posting my sketches up here so you guys can give me feed back too so don't be shy

Comment

Originally posted by bluebari View Post
              Great idea. I love that the phone backgrounds are dedicated to various worlds including their gate addresses. I'm not talented in that way myself, unfortunately have nothing to contribute, but I really appreciate works of other fans.
              Hey Bluebari, Would be great for you to join in on the weekly Challenges! You don't have to be an expert! stick figures that are Stargate characters is enough! I am happy to give pointers to anyone too!

Comment

My idea:

Once I have visited a Christmas shop at Niaga-on-the-lake (near the Niagara falls on my holiday, where I have seen Christmas lights made from everyday objects (like mini Coca-cola bottles). So I was wondering if we could make something similar with Stargate chevrons? I know it is a bit advanced project with lights and glass chevrons, so maybe somebody can make it.

The starter version should be just a common Christmas decoration. I imagined a 3D chevron, what could be cut out of from a printed paper version than the fans could glue it together to make a 3D object. I believe it would look cool, so maybe I will try to draw a test picture. But I am not a pro and I definately have got only enthusiasm and I have not got really expert skills or programs for it. Later we could make other hand made 3D objects... Like Jaffa Symbols, glyphs or replicator blocks etc.

Or just because Eastern is coming maybe we could make a challenge who can paint SG related eggs etc.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I made a similar enquiry on Twitter about what rules are to be followed and clearly, it's the GW rules. However, it's with that in mind that I would like to know the rules on artwork that deals with romantic relationships because as it stood, when the fanfic archive (a looooong time ago) was still active, slash pairings were not allowed anywhere near it. See below why:

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  Darren's archives, Darren's rules.
                  Since the place is still owned by Darren, his rules would still apply.

Forum rule on the PG-rating:

Why is the forum "Rated PG?" What does that mean?
                  GateWorld Forum is family-friendly, meaning we have a low tolerance for profanity and off-color conversation. Keep in mind when you post that several of our regulars are under 18 years old, and the forum has an active profanity filter set by the moderators.

Please also do not post questionable or adult-related images or off-site links, be it in public posts, private messages, your personal profile, signature, or anywhere else on the forum.
                  Are we to assume that (fem)slash art (PG-rated of course, much like all artwork by the way to comply to the rules) is still not welcome?

And also, perhaps a good reminder or a notion for newbies!

The rule on photomanipulation (also not unimportant):

Photo manipulations. All manipulations must be appropriate for all ages. This means no compromising positions, no nudity, and all manipulations must be in good taste (at the sole discretion of the moderators). This excludes manips that create two actors kissing, or the like. If they haven't kissed in real life, we don't want pictures of them kissing here. Putting a person's head on another person's body is also inappropriate.
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    Are we to assume that (fem)slash art (PG-rated of course, much like all artwork by the way to comply to the rules) is still not welcome?
                    Discrimination against Camille and other LGBTQ+ characters would not be equitable. #LoveWins #LoveIsLove

Comment

Those rules and snippets from the FAQ were uploaded a long time ago,and I know there may be some changes ahoy once Darren's able to re-work the fanfic gallery.
                      With all the normal site stuff ,his own RL ,work ,Twitter,news aggregating,and co-ordinating the site and forums,there's quite a backlog of work on his To-do and To-consider files.
                      The fanfic part of the site caused a major security issues,so that's why uploading was suspended long ago.The last thing we want is computer hacks and viruses.

FWIW, I'd think Andrew as Curator/Artist may hesitate to answer on GateWorld's behalf ,and may not wish to get into a discussion on the trickier details,so as a courtesy - go easy on him.He doesn't set policy and only just joined.Let's make him feel welcome,thanks!
                      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
                        Discrimination against Camille and other LGBTQ+ characters would not be equitable. #LoveWins #LoveIsLove
                        I think you'll find plenty so-called Slash and Femslash pairings round the forums,and a thread for Camille.

If GW was as discriminatory as some claim,those threads would never have been allowed or they'd have been far more heavily modded than shipper threads.That has never been the case.For that matter,a lot of other sites over the years haven't even allowed threads for thunk or so-called "Het" pairings.

(By the way,isn't it a bit dated nowadays for fans to call the same sex pairings "Slash" and het pairings "Ship" as if love is a different beast for straight vs LGBT QI pairings?

Just my thoughts and opinions.)
                        The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Let’s all give Darren a chance to speak up. As I’m sure you guys can all imagine, owning this site plus family, career and education can be very daunting. And I’m sure it is even more so with the resurgence in fans with the new show.

Whatever may or may not change from the past there is still one rule that rules them all....Darren pays the bills, so whether or not you agree with his rules, I ask that folks respect them. Keeping this site running is not cheap and as long time fans have seen site after site fall due to waning interest in behalf of the owner, this one is still up and running almost TWENTY YEARS after the show first premiered. THat is quite the accomplishment.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                            If GW was as discriminatory as some claim,those threads would never have been allowed or they'd have been far more heavily modded than shipper threads.That has never been the case.
                            Thanks for the reassurance.

(By the way,isn't it a bit dated nowadays for fans to call the same sex pairings "Slash" and het pairings "Ship" as if love is a different beast for straight vs LGBT QI pairings?
                            If some gaters use this differentiation, the distinction is not shared across most fandoms, which classify both het and slash as subsets of ships. It's all shipping for me!

Comment

To be completly honest, I like this idea that GW would like to collect SG fan arts and to hold fan arts related events, but this step should have been done 15-20 years ago. If you check it online there are so many talented people on the net. Stargate was always a little fish next to big names (like Star Trek or Star Wars), but it became part of our scifi geek life. And it looks like so many fans have missed this show as there are so many wonderful arts on the net. Stealing became a problem on Stargate : Command, so I really hope you have an action plan what will happen in such cases.

I am also very naive or innocent probably, because the whole slash pairing problems have not even showed up in my mind. I doubt that it would cause any problems as we are mature enough. Those type of slash arts could be still kept in a closed section of the SG fan arts, where the GW would ask confirmation of DOB or show some warnings. But if we trully believe in equality then these LGBT arts should not be even separated. The age check could happen at the entrance of that section, then it should be kept together with the other works. Really, guys, we are in the XXI. century. Don't tell me that the orientation of the fans or what they can put together as fan art can be offensive to anyone. Even the Ancients said "free will". So anyone has got the right to chose to check or NOT to check the fan arts, but I doubt there should be any restrictions on the subjects.

I also would like to grab the chance to talk about the discrimination of LGBT users on GW. Even if I am a straight guy. I am talking about Pharaoh Hamenhotep's case. I don't know the whole story and I haven't digged deeply in the forum to read what happened and I don't know who started it or who said what, but all what I have heard from other resources that the fans have attacked him (or her) and seriously life-treatened him/her just because he/she was figting for him/her opinion. Then the moderators haven't defended him/her and banned the victim and the online bullying forum members were not warned. How could such thing happen here? Seriously I am still shocked. I always believed that GW defends values and every forum users are equal here. The sexual orientation of a fan is such a private thing that I don't understand how can someone be attacked because of it or how can that fan's art work being judged with prejudice. So please, don't tolerate or support such cases and the mods should defend the victims even if they don't agree with them. We are here for the love of our favorite scifi shows, don't let the fun be ruined here. Peace.

Comment

Working...
                              X