Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Default Re: GateWorld Fan Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    I also suggested on Stargate : Command that they should make a "virtual SG museum". So they should make some HQ photos about such props, set pieces, outfits which were not sold yet, so every fans could have a closed looks. Maybe it should be an all-access material.
    PLEASE, don't give them that idea... it should be accessible for every fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Falcon,I hear you.For the record I possess no mivonks.( I learn something new every day.)
    Wait, mivonks aren't the equivalent of panties... ...wait... panties are underwear, right? Or a kind of... Did I mention English isn't my native language. (and neither is Hynerian)

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    I do think one thing folks need to bear in mind....copyright.
    Oh... good point.
    Totally overlooked that tiny bit.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    I do think one thing folks need to bear in mind....copyright.

Did you know, actors can have 100% control over anything with their image on it? Such as signing off on any book cover or poster. ANd without them signing off on it the item will not be made.

But since this forum strives to maintain a friendly relationship with MGM and folks associated with it, there may be tighter rules and restrictions here than on a random fan run forum.

It’s not unknown for copyright holders to have a very hands off approach - such as I recall hearing that JK Rowling is rather open with what she allows with her characters and universe as long as certain lines are not crossed. Other fandoms are very tightly regulated. I recall that the Star Wars fandom was very controlled with C&D letters going out frequently.

My point is, regardless of what fans think should be done, ultimately the decision may be guided by what the copyright owners allow to be done.

With that in mind, while we do welcome ideas and suggestions, there may be things happening ‘above our pay grade’ so to speak, that we simply have to allow and go along with.

As has been said, let’s give Darren time to check into and make his guidelines known and folks can go from there.
    And exactly that is why I rarely do fan arts, except of drawing characters as portraits, or when I know it is not minded to do other kinds of art

Exclamation Re: GateWorld Fan Art Gallery

Hi, Everyone!

Thanks for your patience as the moderators revisited the question of fan art rules at GateWorld, and special thanks to Andrew for spearheading this new project! The new Fan Art Gallery will have curated content, fun contests for all artists to participate in, and more. It will live in the Stargate Gallery here:

https://www.gateworld.net/gallery/index.php?cat=94

There are three simple rules to follow if you'd like to post your art (or someone else's work, hopefully with their permission!) at GateWorld:

• Keep it rated "PG+" or below. This means nothing that would rise to the level of R-rated material (or above). "PG+" means that it may fall somewhere in the grey area between "PG" and "PG-13." It is finally up to the moderators and the site owner to determine if something is over the line; if you aren't sure, ask Skydiver or Baggie in private before you post it.

• Keep it tasteful. This is also at the discretion of the moderators. If you think it may be questionable, we'd ask that you kindly just clear it first.

• Respect the actors. These men and women make a living with their faces, and have a right to control their likeness. Some will be more hands-off and easygoing about fan art than others. Err on the side of caution, particularly when it comes to matters of sexuality and relationship pairings. If and when it becomes known that a certain actor is uncomfortable with something, then that will be off-limits at GateWorld. (Note that this could entail removing work that was previously within these guidelines when it was first posted.)

The same rules will apply to art, fanfic, etc., both on GW Forum and on the main site. (There is no rule with respect to het or slash stories and art.) Keep it "PG+", keep it tasteful, and respect the actors.

Stargate fandom and the GateWorld community have so many talented people! I can't wait to see what new work you all come up with, and what old favorites we decide to feature. Hopefully we can use GW as a platform to showcase your talent.

We do plan eventually to relaunch a new fanfic section at GateWorld. We had one more than a decade ago, which amassed more than 5,000 stories! I'm excited to finally bring it back.

~Darren

Thanks for clearing that up Darren

Okay guys who is going to have a go at drawing a Milky Way Stargate for this weeks challenge?

I am going to have a go tonight and will post lots of sketches and show everyone my process! Hopefully by showing you my terrible thumbnails and sketches you can see that drawings don't have to be amazing!

keep the suggestions coming! Obviously the Fan Art Gallery is at a very early stage so it will be fun to watch it grow!

Thanks for that clarifying post, Darren

Smile Re: GateWorld Fan Art Gallery

So, I thought I would share how I would go about doing a new bit of fan art for Stargate. You guys can give me some feedback!

I always start with rough thumbnail sketches. The amount of these differs between each image, sometimes I get it straight off sometimes it takes loads!

The weekly theme is currently The Milky Way Stargate, What better scene to do than the discovery of the gate in Giza!

Here Are the thumbnails.

thum 1.jpgthum 2.jpgthum 4.jpg

As you can see my sketching is very rough, but at this point they don't need to be super detailed. I am just thinking about composition.

After this I usually do a slightly more detailed Sketch

sketch fin.jpg

and then the process moves onto the computer!

Thats it for now expect another post soon explaining my digital process!

Would love to see other people process! also do you guys like this kind of post?

Nice, Andrew, just keep posting.

I have made these unfinished test gates in 2002 :
    http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/albums/e.../Rajz-kapu.jpg
    http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/albums/e...Rajz-kapu2.jpg
    http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/albums/e...ajz-ekzar2.jpg
    http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/albums/e...Rajz-ekzar.jpg
    Please don't laugh as I have never learned how to draw. My teacher always believed I am talented, but I have never taught myself. As you can see I wanted to make the gate really accurate so I have made lots of calculations (the numbers with mm) as I have measured the parts of the stargate with a ruler on a photo. Never mind, it was 16 years ago and I was very enthusiastic. I feel old now.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Lieutenant General

Gates are very exacting subject matter! You are both talented.

I do like these kinds of posts. Many years ago, there were more artists sharing such process posts here, and it helps other fans, myself included, to create Stargate art too, to see different techniques and software available. You never know who is lurking, learning, and being inspired.
    ~~~Stargate Wraith Mania Stargate Atlantis Wraith fan reference site~~~

Perhaps, a good idea to post those guidelines in the first post too...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Charles Arts View Post
    Okay guys who is going to have a go at drawing a Milky Way Stargate for this weeks challenge?
    If you don't mind stickfigures, I'm game.

Though, I was planning on doing, for my end-of-semester self-picked 3D-project, a stargate.

I have made these unfinished test gates in 2002 :
    [snipped links]
    Please don't laugh as I have never learned how to draw. My teacher always believed I am talented, but I have never taught myself. As you can see I wanted to make the gate really accurate so I have made lots of calculations (the numbers with mm) as I have measured the parts of the stargate with a ruler on a photo. Never mind, it was 16 years ago and I was very enthusiastic. I feel old now.
    Question: can I use these to model my 3D stargate?
    I need some drawings or images for it, and these look like a great add (credited of course).

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

Of course you can, if my picture helps. I am not really good at Photoshop and such digital drawing programs, so maybe you can upgrade it.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

If matchstick figures are allowed,too I might do something for some challenges now and then, otherwise I will just be content to look at the arts being submitted

Of course you can, if my picture helps. I am not really good at Photoshop and such digital drawing programs, so maybe you can upgrade it.
    Thanks.

Yes! match stick figures will be great! As long as you have fun doing it that is what fan art is all about

So I finished my Fan Art for the weekly challenge, What do you guys think?

low res stargate weekly 1.jpg

Any suggestions for the theme for next weeks weekly challenge?

@Platschu I can't seem to see your images

Lieutenant General

Nice color grading, with the background being softer in color, yet giving the impression of a hot day.

It looks nice, I like the art style and coloring. As WraithTech said it looks really like a hot day

Thanks guys!

So this weeks weekly challenge is done! Would love to hear everyones feed back? is there anything we can do to make it better? Maybe we could have a poll at the end where fans can pick there favourite of the week?

Andrew.

The poll for next weeks weekly challenge is now live! go vote for your favourite here

Cheers guys!

Thanks guys!

So this weeks weekly challenge is done! Would love to hear everyones feed back? is there anything we can do to make it better? Maybe we could have a poll at the end where fans can pick there favourite of the week?

Andrew.
    While, I'm sure this is a wonderful idea. I have learned through previous artchallenges this will lead to people only picking the artist they know. And even if you don't put artists' names with the artwork, each has a distinct style and will still end up on top. If you want everyone to feel equal, I suggest not voting for favorite of the week but just showcase each piece and if they want to let the artist write a little paragraph about how they came to the result or where they got the inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    While, I'm sure this is a wonderful idea. I have learned through previous artchallenges this will lead to people only picking the artist they know. And even if you don't put artists' names with the artwork, each has a distinct style and will still end up on top. If you want everyone to feel equal, I suggest not voting for favorite of the week but just showcase each piece and if they want to let the artist write a little paragraph about how they came to the result or where they got the inspiration.
    I second that, out of personal experience and having seen that happen to others.
    Last edited by Az'ryel; April 1st, 2018 at 02:08 PM.

Lieutenant General

Seeing your pro art digital process you hinted at would still be great!

If you add voting, maybe announce that ahead of the theme, because then it becomes more of a contest than a challenge and some artists see challenges are more laid back than contests. I second what was said above, that votes often go to friends (or character favorites). (I usually refrain from voting on contests, unless there is no getting around it, such as a prize donation which can't be divided.)
    Last edited by WraithTech; April 1st, 2018 at 12:40 PM.