No announcement yet.

Canon vs. non-canon SG informations about names of races

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is the reason this thread was started, but then Darren said it is not canon, as these informations were based on the season 1-2-3 RPG books. I was surprised that the same names showed up again now on the official SG page as well.
    Last edited by Platschu; 02 August 2018, 01:01 PM.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Well the SG:C self-proclaimed itself *A hub for ALL Stargate fans*. Perhaps that means canon / non-canon material are treated on the same level?
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

By the way ... These race discriptions are written so poorly like they were written for completly new fans. Not enough detailed at all. Even wikipedia sites have got more informations.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Everything about the SGC site screams "ephemeral," including the attempts at humor in the articles which will be quickly outdated, such as "leafy hair don't care." Nothing there seems to be made for the long-haul. They likely did use wiki articles to base theirs from... and that wiki will probably be around long after the SGC site vanishes just as stargate.mgm.com did.
          Last edited by WraithTech; 12 July 2018, 04:05 AM.

Comment

An example of strange wiki info: on the Hive ship Wikia page, someone randomly added, "It's unknown how the Wraith exit the chambers but considering their ability to stick to walls easily, they presumably exit it as normal and climb down the walls till they reach the ground." Their ability to stick to walls easily?

Spiderwraith, Spiderwraith, does whatever a spider can.

Comment

Example #91747 of why the Stargate Wikia is awful and never to be trusted
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I think I've suggested earlier in this thread that the names "Oannes" and "Unity" are canon. The episodes don't have explicit statements like "Hello, my names is Nem, my people are called the 'Oannes'" ... but the references are there and have been accepted as usable species names for 20 years. (I think that's all that SG Command is going by.)

There's a slightly more difficult name in Season 1: "Heliopolis." Ernest uses it (somewhat obliquely) to refer to where he lives, but he's only drawing an allusion to ancient Earth mythology.

I guess if you live alone on a planet for 50 years you get naming rights.

~Darren

Comment

Personally i like that we have been given the names for different alien species that we have seen in the Stargate series on sites like Star Gate Wikia what i don't like is when those sites write in species or planet backstories that have no evidence in the shows and are not in line with the shows cannon. It think it is fine that some books have been written to continue Stargate stories but personally i haven't read them so i don't know if i would consider them to be cannon with the four series (SG1, Atlantis, Universe and Origins-haven't seen Infinity and don't plan to) or any of the movies.

Comment

If you read back that is the reason Darrell stated that only those informations are canon which were told in the live-action tv shows. Everything else are extensions. The RPG books, the Stargate : Infinity, the comic books, the audio books, the novels, the unfinished computer games... They extended the lore, but "officially" they are not part of the SG lore.

Since we have got multiverse in Stargate, just try to accept the infos as part of the lore and if doesn't or if they make something different later, then we can still say that the original un-canoned informations happened in a different reality where everything could have happened differently. I try to think about the Stargate : Infinity this way. Those animated worlds and races will never ever be shown in the live action shows, but it doesn't mean they couldn't exist in an other reality. Maybe the Goa'uld has killed or destroyed all of them in our main timeline. See? It is so simple.

What I really liked in Stargate : Infinity, that they were willing to give a name to everything. It is much better than the "blue aliens" from Universe. It was just laziness from the writers that they couldn't involve a sentence in a conversation what could be the future reference to a newly established alien race.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                      What I really liked in Stargate : Infinity, that they were willing to give a name to everything. It is much better than the "blue aliens" from Universe. It was just laziness from the writers that they couldn't involve a sentence in a conversation what could be the future reference to a newly established alien race.
                      Agreed, that is a lack of world-building and makes it cumbersome for the audience. Calling others aliens when they in their own galaxy and they are actually natives (and exploring humans are the actual aliens there), by their skin tones such as SGU blue aliens, or by the episode name they first appeared in, such as Daedalus Variations grey beings, are such superficial references. We are taught not reduce others to superficial traits such as skin colors, just as we don't want others to do to us, but the audience has no canon way of respectfully addressing those unnamed races. So, we get stuck with saying "blue aliens."

Comment

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
                        Agreed, that is a lack of world-building and makes it cumbersome for the audience. Calling others aliens when they in their own galaxy and they are actually natives (and exploring humans are the actual aliens there), by their skin tones such as SGU blue aliens, or by the episode name they first appeared in, such as Daedalus Variations grey beings, are such superficial references. We are taught not reduce others to superficial traits such as skin colors, just as we don't want others to do to us, but the audience has no canon way of respectfully addressing those unnamed races. So, we get stuck with saying "blue aliens."
                        The word ''Alien'' is used to define anything that is foreign to your own country or nation. I could say that British are alien to me, as a Canadian, even though I would be on British soil. It is not an insult nor downgrading, unless you make it so. Pop culture just taught us alien means extraterrestrials.

What would you call them instead not knowing who they were? The smurfs? The blues brothers ?

How do you know they are natives / in their own galaxy? I thought it was mentioned quite a few times that the blue aliens have been tailing Destiny for a while, possibly also responsible for the damage sustained by the ship.

My guess is that SGU was building up suspense in s1-s2, purposely not revealing information. We probably would've had all our answers in the upcoming seasons, but mystery, character-building and *long-term plots* didn't seem to please the fan-base.
                        Spoiler:
                        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I was interested in the long-term plots. I have written them just an example that some of the SG alien races were not named in the shows, so fans must have found out a name for them. This statement is not related to the quality of SG:U.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                            It is not an insult nor downgrading, unless you make it so.
                            It depends on what part of the world you are in. Double-check before traveling and using this word.

What would you call them instead not knowing who they were?
                            That's the whole point of Platschu's post, #54, last paragraph. The writers didn't tell us. If you have something to say to respond to Platschu, use good form and do so through his original posts, not indirectly through my posts with elevated sarcasm you normally would not use directly to him. This is the 3rd time this has happened, this thread being the 2nd thread. I am not a go-between.

My guess is that SGU was building up suspense in s1-s2, purposely not revealing information. We probably would've had all our answers in the upcoming seasons, but mystery, character-building and *long-term plots* didn't seem to please the fan-base.
                            I will let others guess as to the possible SGU plot arcs and audience pleasing or lack thereof.
                            Last edited by WraithTech; 08 August 2018, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X