Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...but MGM doesn't say it's canon.

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    If you read the citation the page gives, it’s literally some guy on this forum who claims to be involved in the licensing process, who talks about MGM licensing vetting it. He never actually calls it canon—the only time he mentions the word at all is to say it’s MGM’s property and that they can define canon when and how they wish. Whoever wrote the Wikia article made the unfounded assumption that that’s what the some guy meant.

That kind of crap is endemic and widespread at that Wikia, and why I always point out that it’s garbage and not trustworthy in the least
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
      There were some people on here a few years ago trying to set up a wiki for canon only, but they were in such a hurry, they did not document and made a lot of errors too.
      That was escyos, yeah. I was helping him out as best I could, but at the time I didn't have as much free time as it demanded to get it right. I seem to remember he had a couple other people working with him too, but I never interacted with them.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I have a kind of "series bible" for personal use in which I describe as much canon material as possible, and my own personal "fanon" to expand or clarify on incomplete information (such as how the iris works, the dialing computer, the "Cheyenne Mountain missile silo", etc.). I have clearly marked what is definitively canon, what is "ambiguous" (as in, what is implied but never clearly stated), and my own non-canon expanded material. This includes a reasonably detailed timeline starting at the evolution of the Alterans up until the present day, the evolution of the Stargates, and detailed explanations of how the Stargates work (the coordinate system and how Icarus could use the Earth point of origin).

Comment

That’s probably more than the actual show producers had

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            That’s probably more than the actual show producers had
            The producers did have a series bible though. Not super-extensive like that, but then again being obsessed over continuity is a recent trend. For it's time, Stargate did admirably.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
              The producers did have a series bible though. Not super-extensive like that, but then again being obsessed over continuity is a recent trend. For it's time, Stargate did admirably.
              I always thought there was no series bible, in fact RCC is credited with making up a lot of the backstory without one:

Originally posted by wikipedia
              Cooper was responsible for creating much of the backstory of the Stargate universe. According to Stargate SG-1: The Essential Scripts, Cooper's ideas about the history of the Stargate universe were his own; he wasn't working from ideas in a series bible. Cooper created the Ancients, the race that built the stargates. He also developed the idea of the Alliance of Four Races, even though two of the races had been invented by other writers (the Nox and the Asgard created by Hart Hanson and Katharyn Powers respectively).
              Though if they didn't have a series bible, they did pretty well at paying attention to the in-universe events and connecting up all the threads that spanned multiple seasons.

To me there's not a huge difference between canon and fanon, it's a fictional universe so what happens in it can be whatever the viewer/reader wants - especially when the canon isn't managed well by TPTB as with Stargate. The TV shows will be the base canon, and then supplementary material is up to the viewer - Even if it contradicts, there's been times the TV shows have contradicted itself, does that make the offending episode scene not canon? Most fando/big finish etc are written to not contradict anyway, so you can either take it or leave it.
              Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
                To me there's not a huge difference between canon and fanon, it's a fictional universe so what happens in it can be whatever the viewer/reader wants - especially when the canon isn't managed well by TPTB as with Stargate. The TV shows will be the base canon, and then supplementary material is up to the viewer - Even if it contradicts, there's been times the TV shows have contradicted itself, does that make the offending episode scene not canon? Most fando/big finish etc are written to not contradict anyway, so you can either take it or leave it.
                Everyone will have their limits. I can deal with the number of Ls in Jack's surname changing... but not blood color changing back and forth like a mood ring (and not when paying money for such merchandise!).
                Last edited by WraithTech; 22 March 2018, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
                  I always thought there was no series bible, in fact RCC is credited with making up a lot of the backstory without one:
                  I think the article you quoted refers to the initial seasons. There was no bible from the movie or anything, no. But i recall there being talks of some sort of bible with the basics.

Anyway it's possible that Wright and Cooper WERE the bible.

Comment

Not sure who all was using them, but there were at least photo production continuity binders made for each episode (and auctioned off), such as this: http://www.propstash.com/a/ska67xw/P...ty_Binder.html

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
                      I understand what you mean, but if MGM says it's canon, it's canon whether we like it or not.
                      MGM will call it canon, regardless whether it is so or not. How else are you going to explain the Fandemonium books which are marketed as "Official season 6 of Atlantis", yet the comics by American Mythology can use the exact same marketing. Therefore, not canon.

Was gonna ask what "EU" meant, but it just came to me, extended universe.

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
                      Everyone will have their limits. I can deal with the number of Ls in Jack's surname changing... but not blood color changing back and forth like a mood ring (and not when paying money for such merchandise!).
                      Mood rings -- love to change their color when I see them in stores.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        MGM will call it canon, regardless whether it is so or not. How else are you going to explain the Fandemonium books which are marketed as "Official season 6 of Atlantis", yet the comics by American Mythology can use the exact same marketing. Therefore, not canon.
                        I don't think the comics were ever said to be canon, just another "vision" of how the shows could have continued.

Comment

Well... We can still handle or comic and novels as alternative universes in an other potential timeline. :

Everything can be canon, but canon can not be everything.

Or something like that.
                          Last edited by Platschu; 30 March 2018, 03:42 PM.
                          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

The Stargate Wikia suffers from the problems all wikia do where the information contents are not verified by an official source but are run in a way that just about anyone can update them as they see fit with no verification.

Comment

I didn't realize that Infinity not being canon was the official stance of that, has anyone got a link to where that was said? The Stargate wiki doesn't have a source for it.

Comment

GateWorld just tweeted about canon complexity: https://twitter.com/GateWorld/status/988974975573901312

Comment

Working...
                                X