Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is SGO attempting to reconcile the movie and SG-1? (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is SGO attempting to reconcile the movie and SG-1? (SPOILERS)

I bring up a few quotes from the 10th episode Mission Files...

She was convinced that the advances of those little gray beings would have kept him tied up for many more years, so why had he returned now?
    Aset had spent so long wrapped up in her plans to end him, she had forgotten how Ra managed to somehow command submission as he entered a room, even in such a diminutive host.
    Between the Asgard and the worrying advances of other lesser System Lords, Ra was already stretched thin
    Are they suggesting that that Ra was using an Asgard as host? That this is an Asgard?
    Stargate_-_Famrir.jpg

So when we see this guy in 1994:

Ra_movie.jpg

We have a Goa'uld symbiote parasite, within a Asgard host, within the body of a human? 3 layers? Goa'uld's version of inception?

Euh.... Ok?

Hopefully my mind is just going crazy... Please reassure me

Well, I haven't watched SGO just yet but I can say that before SGO there was a lot of other stargate material published outside the main series. The canonocity is heavily debated but that's a story for another time.

In the outside material, it explains that at one point of time Ra had to abandon his Unas host and took an Asgard one. But the Asgard body rejected the Goa'uld so he went out looking for a better host when he found Earth and switched bodies again. It sounds like the mission file is acknowledging some of the outside material.

sigpic
    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

I guess it's always possible he switched hosts between 1938 and 1994.

But in that case, I fail to see why go through the troubles of having Ra inhabit a different host in 1938 if it's not for explaining the images shown in the movie, of his corpse disintegrating. I would just have let the matter rest and not come up with something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
        In the outside material, it explains that at one point of time Ra had to abandon his Unas host and took an Asgard one. But the Asgard body rejected the Goa'uld so he went out looking for a better host when he found Earth and switched bodies again. It sounds like the mission file is acknowledging some of the outside material.
        I've found one such "non-canon" reference which seems to match what you describe...
        http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Famrir
        However, even that reference clearly states that the Asgard host was abandoned, and switched with a human one, 8000 B.C.

Comment

I interpreted "even in such a diminutive host" as referring to Jaye Davidson who isn't exactly a big guy. Remember in the opening of Stargate (1994) we see him take Jaye Davidson as his host, and this was 1000s of years ago - I doubt he took an Asgard.

The above information about him taking an Asgard as host comes from the RPG which hardly anyone considers canon
          Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
            I interpreted "even in such a diminutive host" as referring to Jaye Davidson who isn't exactly a big guy. Remember in the opening of Stargate (1994) we see him take Jaye Davidson as his host, and this was 1000s of years ago - I doubt he took an Asgard.
            I guess I can buy that... Thanks, that helps. Glad to hear it's only my mind which is going crazy like that making these connections

Comment

Originally posted by jerem View Post
              I bring up a few quotes from the 10th episode Mission Files...

Are they suggesting that that Ra was using an Asgard as host? That this is an Asgard?
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]42580[/ATTACH]

So when we see this guy in 1994:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42581[/ATTACH]

We have a Goa'uld symbiote parasite, within a Asgard host, within the body of a human? 3 layers? Goa'uld's version of inception?

Euh.... Ok?

Hopefully my mind is just going crazy... Please reassure me
              I don't think it's a symbiote inside an Asgard inside a human, no. I do think Ra at one point used an Asgard for a host, and when that host died he transferred himself into a human.
              I roll the dice and everyone else loses.

Comment

@Jedi_master_bra'tac

the rpg is good at filling out info that isn't mentioned or expanded by the canon stuff (for example, the rpg gives details on the 3 goa'uld dynasties)

Comment

Originally posted by ManofTheAtom View Post
                  I don't think it's a symbiote inside an Asgard inside a human, no. I do think Ra at one point used an Asgard for a host, and when that host died he transferred himself into a human.
                  In that case, would the host transition have occurred in 8000 B.C. as depicted in the "Extended cut" version of the movie?
                  And then it would bring an interesting question of Asgard/Unas interactions?

Oh well, this is going off-topic of my initial question anyway
                  I think we've established that my brain is making these crazy connections where none should be seen

Comment

I don't think the two can be reconciled. The movie takes place in a different universe from the series. A version of the movie's events took place in the TV universe, but we've never seen it.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
                      I don't think the two can be reconciled. The movie takes place in a different universe from the series. A version of the movie's events took place in the TV universe, but we've never seen it.
                      That isn't quite true. The movie doesn't take place in a different universe, the events of the movie simply aren't accurate in their entirely - they were retconned. The two can't be reconciled but in this case, as the RPG's aren't considered canon, the Asgard-like Ra simply doesn't exist anymore - he was changed to a Goa'uld.

So it's less an alternate setting and more you just have to factor into the later changes made with the show, for the most part.

Comment

Working...
                      X