Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Default Re: Stargate Origins: Feature Cut

So I finally watched the Feature Cut. It was nice to see the Batman transitions gone but I can't say my perspective on the film has really changed. I still think an anthology film approach is nice, but I think Catherine specifically was unnecessary and it looked cheap. My main like is that the movie aesthetic was pulled in a bit more. That pleases me. Also really like Serqet's staff. I'd give other Origin runs a go (and I hope more do get made) but I can't say I'll go back to this one very often.

Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Were there many differences with the episodes -- apart from the spinning?
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

I've only seen the series through the once so I couldn't really say. It has a new opening sequence before the Origins title card but's about all I picked up. The temple vfx looked good and I remember it looking a bit poorer in the series. That might be one of the points of improved VFX they mentioned.

Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

I have to admit, I have watched the first 10-15 minutes and then the last 15 minutes. They added an extra scene with Isis as she is painting herself and that came as a first scene. She looked nice and scarry, but honestly, I don't get it why was it put there? If we don't know where the story goes, then this whole scene is meaningless and confusing as after that they have used the opening scene from the original Stargate movie.

I am still not over how Prof. Langford's apartment was only a few furnitures and broken glasses in the back. I know they introduced him as a poor discoverer who has spent all his money in the last 10 years, so that is how the Germans were involved. But it is hard to imagine that he really would have lived in such a poor and disturbing conditions. And what were they doing? Were they watching the gate for 10 years?

When the chevrons were locked, they have still used this silly sound effect instead of the SG shows. That should have been replaced as they have used the DHD effects right (with the SG-1 prop), then why would it so hard to find the right sound effects from the MGM's library?

At the end I could see some better visual effects with Serqet's staff weapon, but maybe it was the same in the original. I especially love that little scene as his last thought was still Catherine. She looks away in darkness, but when the lights turn around her (similar to the BSG season 4 promo), then she straightly looked into the camera. Lovely little scene. But after that it was painful to watch how they have forgotten him and his friend. I still liked to little hint to Cameron as he was packing the gate in the background, but maybe they should mentioned the Achilles ship directly.

The whole length is 1h41 minutes, so it is equal to 2.5 episodes. I will watch the whole movie tonight, so I can share more feedback. It definately feels better and more enjoyable as the webepisodes are put together.
    Last edited by Platschu; January 29th, 2019 at 06:20 AM.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Yay. They have fixed the moons on Abydos.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

I have re-watched the whole Feature Cut yesterday. I have to tell you guys, I am really positively surprised. It is still far from good pr perfect. The comic German character (Henrich) ruined the seriousness of first 20 minutes and even the acting were not convincing from the other actors either, but it was much better after the story continued on Abydos. The episode ending vortex effect have gone and it was shown briefly in a reversed montage at the end, when Aset began the memory loss process on Catherine. I also liked how the episodes and scenes were connected to each other (like one sentence is finished by an other character, or the pendant of Ra turns into the Nazi pendant or when Dr. Langford strokes his hair then Catherine start the next scene with the same movement). Clever! Maybe these were in the original version, but the short format completly ruined to discover this little creative ideas. And when Brücke showed his evil side in the tent, I have to tell you there were some serious acting from the cast. Sarah Navratil (Eva) was really-really good in those scenes and I like how she teamed up with Dr. Langford. And she is pretty as well like Ellie Gall. Talking about beauty... The boys could have visited cosmetic shops as Beal and Wasif were full of spots. Maybe it was caused by the heating in the set. At least they looked realistic. I also liked how Aset was convinced by him to let them fight their own wars by themselves. Somehow I skipped or I haven't taken notice of this plot part. Okay, the ending was way too rushed as there was no logical reason why would Aset risk anything for the Langfords, but maybe she had a "good side" as a mother. There was also no proper reason why would Aset spare Kasuf, then Ra would spare Motawk and Wasif. I am guessing Aset could see the technology and she knew one day the returning Earthlings can overthrow Ra. But it was also not explained if Ra knew about the active Stargate use on Earth from Serqet, then would he not paid a visit to look around? But we can still explain that maybe he was worried about the Asgards or some other important matters in the galaxy. So all together I am satisfied. Not good, not that bad. I would give a solid 4-5 points now out of 10. This feature cut was definately an improvement.

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

My goofballs rule!

Just saying...
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

I know you like them. Honestly I was surprised as it was much better this merged version.

The curtain error was left in the Feature Cut. When the trio arrives to Abydos, the curtain is closed and opened behind Wasif within a few seconds. It is kinda funny.