Stargate Origins: Feature Cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    The copyright material was an afterthought by the way.

I won't put Gateworld's existence in jeopardy. It's the best (un)official Stargate hub in two galaxies... or more galaxies but let's keep it to Milky Way and Pegasus for now. There's simply no other that can rival it, and that includes mediocre Stargate Command.
    Are you OK FH?
    I'm just reading thru you recent stuff, and I'm noticing a trend.
    Don't answer me here, or don't answer at all, just concerned for a mate.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
      Are you OK FH?
      I'm just reading thru you recent stuff, and I'm noticing a trend.
      Don't answer me here, or don't answer at all, just concerned for a mate.
      I'm fine -- just at war with Stargate Command, that's all.

Sticking up for the little fans as it were. <-- this is me (not the rock, Cameron pulling the sword)
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

So, I know this is an old thread, but I just finished my first watch of the show, and it was the feature cut. (I was actually doing my first re-watch of SG1, SGA, and SGU at the time it aired online, and then I got majorly sidetracked by other shows lol.)

Apart from some awkward acting and humor, I actually still got into it. It *did* feel low budget, but that’s what I assumed it would be going into it, so that didn’t phase me. I also really liked Aset’s scenes for some reason. She always intrigued me.

At this point, I’d just hope that TPTB have been taking in the feedback with the intention of bringing back something better. I hope they don’t give up on the franchise. If this is testing the waters, then more is still possible. In the meantime, I am still glad that we got *something* to get people talking about the show again.
        rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

Originally posted by Janet Fraiser View Post
          ...the show...
          In my opinion, I don't think we should call Stargate Origins a "show". It's a low-budget film, originally cut up into 10 pieces of approximately 10 episodes. They added some extra stuff for the feature cut and dropped, what I understand was the outro of every webepisodes -- something with spinning.

It's a project where I still don't know what MGM was precisely aiming for. They certainly created hell of a divide in the fandom, managed to split the community in a bigger divide than Stargate Universe ever could (and I think we can all agree that was some divide then). They created the haves and the have-nots (6 countries having access to Stargate Command's All-access area, 189 countries got diddlysquad and are actively ignored for the most part). They have an app that doesn't work half the time and glitches like crazy the other half.

If it was to "revive" the franchise, they failed.

Apart from some awkward acting and humor, I actually still got into it. It *did* feel low budget, but that’s what I assumed it would be going into it, so that didn’t phase me. I also really liked Aset’s scenes for some reason. She always intrigued me.
          Listen to the actress interview on Gateworld. She's got some interesting stuff to say about Aset.
          And read Ellie's interview while you're at it. And listen Phillip Alexander's interview, and Daniel Rashid's.

I love my oddballs.

Anywho...

At this point, I’d just hope that TPTB have been taking in the feedback with the intention of bringing back something better.
          Which PTB might that be, if I may be so curious?

Mercedes Bryce Morgan in cooperation with Vanishing Angle were the executive producers and director of SGO. The script was a collaboration of two people unrelated to MGM or VA (one of them being the actor who played the guy Brücke kills after the fight with the Abydonian).

None of the SG-1/SGA/SGU PTB were involved with the project (it showed).

The Stargate Command team is compiled of consultants (mind you, they all have plenty experience in the entertainment industry) and fans (one of the people behind Gateworld has crossed over to SGC -- not Darren, the other guy -- Daryl?).

And what feedback?

Stargate Origins split the fans right down the middle -- either you hated it/didn't like it or you loved it/liked it, with little in between.

Stargate Command as a website and app is restricted to 6 countries, where 189 countries are left dangling in the void with that big empty promise "we're working on it" (since September 20, 2017). Every Dial Home interview is off-limits, the comics are off-limits, the behind-the-scenes -- the freaking SGO bloopers FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD -- are off-limits to all but 6 countries.

They give out goodies to people who re-enlisted, giving them a special "Founding member" patch for being with them since year one, completely ignoring those who were there from the start and stuck around even if we are blocked from all-access.

Whenever Stargate Command appears at the convention, it's either as part of Legion M (also involved with Stargate Origins -- they organized the M&G with the actors and the screenings), or as part of MGM/FOX's booth. Last one, they weren't even named as booth holders, but had to go look for them at the Legion M booth.

I hope they don’t give up on the franchise.
          MGM claims the Stargate franchise, along with the Bond franchise, is their most priced possession. Well, in my opinion, it doesn't show. It looks and feels like they treat it like the stepchild.

If this is testing the waters, then more is still possible.
          Testing the waters?

You still believe that?

You can't test waters by blocking half the fans from viewing your content.
          By pissing off half the community by denying them access to your "cool new content", the alleged "Hub of all things Stargate".

The only fans who can "enjoy" this new stargate content to the fullest are those living in the USA, UK, CA, AUS, NZ and GER. So which waters are tested here?

In the meantime, I am still glad that we got *something* to get people talking about the show again.
          They were talking about it but their marketing lacks severely, if you ask me, customer relations are soured.

Comment

Hey, don’t be spreading BS about the SGC, Falcon Horus!

The Doctors Dialing Home Episodes and 2 (of 8) of Chris Judge’s are available to the unwashed masses!
            Get it right!

Comment

Originally posted by mooseman View Post
              Hey, don’t be spreading BS about the SGC, Falcon Horus!

The Doctors Dialing Home Episodes and 2 (of 8) of Chris Judge’s are available to the unwashed masses!
              Get it right!
              Fine... they are... what do they call that, a "booby prize"? You know a joke price for last place... or in this case 'pretending to be all-inclusive to all fans'.

Mmm... yeah.... no fooling me there...

The first 3 episodes of Origins are also still worldwide available.

Comment

Watch Stargate Origins: Catherine (Feature Cut) On Stargate Command! (only for All-Access members)
                https://www.stargatecommand.co/feeds...tml&k=b4ff8e7b
                Last edited by Platschu; 29 January 2019, 12:39 AM.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

PUPPY!!

*clicks link*

Oh darn... forgot I'm in Chrome and clicking the link will give me that stern looking grandma... yikes...

Anyhoo...

More free stuff for the "original gaters" -- how quaint.

Comment

Sorry, it was misleading. I have updated my post.
                    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                      Sorry, it was misleading. I have updated my post.
                      Oh, there's nothing misleading for me, but perhaps for others who might not now.

You're all in line with their methods --

Also, I actively block stargatecommand at the moment and my webpage shows a stern looking grandma instead. Or a puppy.

Comment

So I finally watched the Feature Cut. It was nice to see the Batman transitions gone but I can't say my perspective on the film has really changed. I still think an anthology film approach is nice, but I think Catherine specifically was unnecessary and it looked cheap. My main like is that the movie aesthetic was pulled in a bit more. That pleases me. Also really like Serqet's staff. I'd give other Origin runs a go (and I hope more do get made) but I can't say I'll go back to this one very often.
                        sigpic
                        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Were there many differences with the episodes -- apart from the spinning?

Comment

I've only seen the series through the once so I couldn't really say. It has a new opening sequence before the Origins title card but's about all I picked up. The temple vfx looked good and I remember it looking a bit poorer in the series. That might be one of the points of improved VFX they mentioned.
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I have to admit, I have watched the first 10-15 minutes and then the last 15 minutes. They added an extra scene with Isis as she is painting herself and that came as a first scene. She looked nice and scarry, but honestly, I don't get it why was it put there? If we don't know where the story goes, then this whole scene is meaningless and confusing as after that they have used the opening scene from the original Stargate movie.

I am still not over how Prof. Langford's apartment was only a few furnitures and broken glasses in the back. I know they introduced him as a poor discoverer who has spent all his money in the last 10 years, so that is how the Germans were involved. But it is hard to imagine that he really would have lived in such a poor and disturbing conditions. And what were they doing? Were they watching the gate for 10 years?

When the chevrons were locked, they have still used this silly sound effect instead of the SG shows. That should have been replaced as they have used the DHD effects right (with the SG-1 prop), then why would it so hard to find the right sound effects from the MGM's library?

At the end I could see some better visual effects with Serqet's staff weapon, but maybe it was the same in the original. I especially love that little scene as his last thought was still Catherine. She looks away in darkness, but when the lights turn around her (similar to the BSG season 4 promo), then she straightly looked into the camera. Lovely little scene. But after that it was painful to watch how they have forgotten him and his friend. I still liked to little hint to Cameron as he was packing the gate in the background, but maybe they should mentioned the Achilles ship directly.

The whole length is 1h41 minutes, so it is equal to 2.5 episodes. I will watch the whole movie tonight, so I can share more feedback. It definately feels better and more enjoyable as the webepisodes are put together.
                              Last edited by Platschu; 29 January 2019, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Yay. They have fixed the moons on Abydos.

Comment

Working...
                                X