Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
    Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Default Re: Stargate Origins: Feature Cut

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    I can't believe they don't have any contingency plan. One does not simply poke a sleeping giant and get away unscathed.
    #Stargate or #StargateOrigins wasn't even trending, unlike a lot of other shows and panels and whatnot. I'd say MGM forgot where it put its poker to actually wake the sleeping giant.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

I just realized something... MGM isn't the production company behind Stargate Origins: Catherine.

I was wondering about something when I saw that Legion M organized the meet-up and the screening, and I went back and looked at the production company on IMDb and MGM is the distributor along with its subsidiary United Artists, but they aren't the one producing the whole thing -- i.e. giving the money.

The production company is Vanishing Angle, en Mercedes Bryce Morgan is actually listed as both Director and Executive Producer.

Definition of an Executive Producer for reference:
    The executive producer is like the CEO of the project. She hires the key leaders and talent – including directors, stars and producers – and supervises them. The executive producer often finances the project, either funding it herself or finding investors to raise the capital needed for production. A company can serve in the executive producer capacity and have one of its employees working as the executive producer. An executive producer may manage several projects at once and not go to the set at all, delegating tasks to those below her.

icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

Good to know. Thanks for sharing.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Oh by the way... I have the Mission Files which are only available to all-access premium members (which I'm not). A kind soul copy and pasted them for me.

I'm thinking of posting them here -- will that get me in trouble, you think?

I believe they were already shared here.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)

Some snippets of the Mission Files have been posted (and referred to) round the threads,but that's fine.Full pieces -nope.

Full transcripts would breach the rules,(see faq re copyrighted material) and to paraphrase what Darren said last time some of you asked in Ask the Mods and via PM about the special features/files ,it'd be fine to quote a relevant paragraph here and there as you want to share it or make reference to it ... but the higher percentage of an article you quote directly, the farther away from Fair Use you move.

Okay fine... not here then.

But seriously... copyrighted material?
    This whole forum is filled with it.
    Last edited by Falcon Horus; September 8th, 2018 at 04:10 PM.

Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Okay fine... not here then.
    No transcripts in full in the threads,social groups or Profile messages(aka VM).
    Using a piece to open a discussion on something specific would be fine,but the copyright rules cover print material,webisodes,or whatever,not just full episode downloads.
    (Should anyone want to share the transcripts OFF-GW,via private mail or at other places,that's up to them at their own risk and responsibility but no offering/asking for links in the forum itself,thanks,everyone.)

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus
    But seriously... copyrighted material?
    This whole forum is filled with it.
    Pretty much,as this IS an international fansite for Gate and loads of other shows,and it'd be very hard to talk about shows without some reference to links and articles...but members' usage of avatars,art,pics,sigpics,fanfiction or posting pieces of articles aren't what gets sites or its members served with cease-and-desist orders or worse.
    Most PTBs and production companies are fully aware of the good effects of allowing fandom to flourish,and happy to allow us to be creative.

Permission isn't there to post certain kinds of copyrighted material that's all.
    Anything GW itself crossposts or features is with prior and ongoing permissions.

The copyright material was an afterthought by the way.

I won't put Gateworld's existence in jeopardy. It's the best (un)official Stargate hub in two galaxies... or more galaxies but let's keep it to Milky Way and Pegasus for now. There's simply no other that can rival it, and that includes mediocre Stargate Command.

In my opinion, official sites always pale in comparison to fan sites.

Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    The copyright material was an afterthought by the way.

I won't put Gateworld's existence in jeopardy. It's the best (un)official Stargate hub in two galaxies... or more galaxies but let's keep it to Milky Way and Pegasus for now. There's simply no other that can rival it, and that includes mediocre Stargate Command.
    Are you OK FH?
    I'm just reading thru you recent stuff, and I'm noticing a trend.
    Don't answer me here, or don't answer at all, just concerned for a mate.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    Are you OK FH?
    I'm just reading thru you recent stuff, and I'm noticing a trend.
    Don't answer me here, or don't answer at all, just concerned for a mate.
    I'm fine -- just at war with Stargate Command, that's all.

Sticking up for the little fans as it were. <-- this is me (not the rock, Cameron pulling the sword)

So, I know this is an old thread, but I just finished my first watch of the show, and it was the feature cut. (I was actually doing my first re-watch of SG1, SGA, and SGU at the time it aired online, and then I got majorly sidetracked by other shows lol.)

Apart from some awkward acting and humor, I actually still got into it. It *did* feel low budget, but that’s what I assumed it would be going into it, so that didn’t phase me. I also really liked Aset’s scenes for some reason. She always intrigued me.

At this point, I’d just hope that TPTB have been taking in the feedback with the intention of bringing back something better. I hope they don’t give up on the franchise. If this is testing the waters, then more is still possible. In the meantime, I am still glad that we got *something* to get people talking about the show again.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet Fraiser View Post
    ...the show...
    In my opinion, I don't think we should call Stargate Origins a "show". It's a low-budget film, originally cut up into 10 pieces of approximately 10 episodes. They added some extra stuff for the feature cut and dropped, what I understand was the outro of every webepisodes -- something with spinning.

It's a project where I still don't know what MGM was precisely aiming for. They certainly created hell of a divide in the fandom, managed to split the community in a bigger divide than Stargate Universe ever could (and I think we can all agree that was some divide then). They created the haves and the have-nots (6 countries having access to Stargate Command's All-access area, 189 countries got diddlysquad and are actively ignored for the most part). They have an app that doesn't work half the time and glitches like crazy the other half.

If it was to "revive" the franchise, they failed.

Apart from some awkward acting and humor, I actually still got into it. It *did* feel low budget, but that’s what I assumed it would be going into it, so that didn’t phase me. I also really liked Aset’s scenes for some reason. She always intrigued me.
    Listen to the actress interview on Gateworld. She's got some interesting stuff to say about Aset.
    And read Ellie's interview while you're at it. And listen Phillip Alexander's interview, and Daniel Rashid's.

I love my oddballs.

Anywho...

At this point, I’d just hope that TPTB have been taking in the feedback with the intention of bringing back something better.
    Which PTB might that be, if I may be so curious?

Mercedes Bryce Morgan in cooperation with Vanishing Angle were the executive producers and director of SGO. The script was a collaboration of two people unrelated to MGM or VA (one of them being the actor who played the guy Brücke kills after the fight with the Abydonian).

None of the SG-1/SGA/SGU PTB were involved with the project (it showed).

The Stargate Command team is compiled of consultants (mind you, they all have plenty experience in the entertainment industry) and fans (one of the people behind Gateworld has crossed over to SGC -- not Darren, the other guy -- Daryl?).

And what feedback?

Stargate Origins split the fans right down the middle -- either you hated it/didn't like it or you loved it/liked it, with little in between.

Stargate Command as a website and app is restricted to 6 countries, where 189 countries are left dangling in the void with that big empty promise "we're working on it" (since September 20, 2017). Every Dial Home interview is off-limits, the comics are off-limits, the behind-the-scenes -- the freaking SGO bloopers FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD -- are off-limits to all but 6 countries.

They give out goodies to people who re-enlisted, giving them a special "Founding member" patch for being with them since year one, completely ignoring those who were there from the start and stuck around even if we are blocked from all-access.

Whenever Stargate Command appears at the convention, it's either as part of Legion M (also involved with Stargate Origins -- they organized the M&G with the actors and the screenings), or as part of MGM/FOX's booth. Last one, they weren't even named as booth holders, but had to go look for them at the Legion M booth.

I hope they don’t give up on the franchise.
    MGM claims the Stargate franchise, along with the Bond franchise, is their most priced possession. Well, in my opinion, it doesn't show. It looks and feels like they treat it like the stepchild.

If this is testing the waters, then more is still possible.
    Testing the waters?

You still believe that?

You can't test waters by blocking half the fans from viewing your content.
    By pissing off half the community by denying them access to your "cool new content", the alleged "Hub of all things Stargate".

The only fans who can "enjoy" this new stargate content to the fullest are those living in the USA, UK, CA, AUS, NZ and GER. So which waters are tested here?

In the meantime, I am still glad that we got *something* to get people talking about the show again.
    They were talking about it but their marketing lacks severely, if you ask me, customer relations are soured.

Hey, don’t be spreading BS about the SGC, Falcon Horus!

The Doctors Dialing Home Episodes and 2 (of 8) of Chris Judge’s are available to the unwashed masses!
    Get it right!

Quote Originally Posted by mooseman View Post
    Hey, don’t be spreading BS about the SGC, Falcon Horus!

The Doctors Dialing Home Episodes and 2 (of 8) of Chris Judge’s are available to the unwashed masses!
    Get it right!
    Fine... they are... what do they call that, a "booby prize"? You know a joke price for last place... or in this case 'pretending to be all-inclusive to all fans'.

Mmm... yeah.... no fooling me there...

The first 3 episodes of Origins are also still worldwide available.