Stargate Origins: Feature Cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the article now up on the stargate command website:

Following on from the successful rollout of Stargate Origins earlier this year, Stargate Command is delighted to announce the release of a brand new cut of Catherine Langford’s adventures.

On June 19, 2018, Stargate Origins: Catherine (Feature Cut) will be available for download on digital platforms worldwide. This all-new version of the Stargate Origins story brings ten action-packed episodes together in one feature-length cut, adding a whole host of new features including:

* An updated sound mix
    * A new, extended title sequence that teases the mystery and tone of the feature
    * Seamless transitions merging the episodic format into an uninterrupted singular viewing experience
    * Enhanced VFX shots
    * Subtitles in 12 languages for our global community of Stargate fans

What’s more, this new feature-cut will be available in stunning 4K, making it the first release ever to bring the visual richness of that format to the Stargate franchise.

“Stargate Origins was created as a dual form of storytelling. First, it is a self-contained short format episodic series that was inspired by serialized science fiction with a nod towards contemporary digital storytelling. We also intentionally built our ten episodes to track a broader story so it could be experienced as a feature-length program. We’re excited to share Stargate Origins: Catherine in this single, longer format and hope you enjoy the story in this new uninterrupted cut,” said Sam Toles, MGM’s SVP of Digital and New Platforms.

Stargate Origins: Catherine (Feature Cut) will be available to own on digital in SD, HD, and 4K for $19.99 in the US, and at comparable rates internationally.

As part of the membership benefits, each Stargate Command All-Access member will be given an exclusive key to redeem his or her copy of Stargate Origins: Catherine (Feature Cut) on the iTunes store.
    There is literally not a single way I'm going to pay 20 euro, or whatever the equivalent might be, if it's available in my country, for this. NOT in a million or so years. Forget it!
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      I see dangling the stargate carrot still works for you. Are you really that naive?

The VFX of the gate as they made it in Origins is not going to be the same as SG-1's.
      They added VFX-shot not changed any. They took the spinning camera-movements out (heard about them).

The story will still be the same. VFX and sound really can't change that.
      At least they have admitted this way that SG:O was far from good or perfect. It is a massively disappointing 2/10 points at me at the moment, but maybe it can go up to 3-4/10. And unfortunately it is still far from an "average" standards of any SG episode. The acting is horrible, the story is meh, the jokes are inappropriate, the production value looks poor. But in spite of these I could see a little glimpse of (no, not Kobol) a used-to-be shiny franchise.

It is still unacceptable how they manage the other countries. And why would anyone pay 20 dollars, if you could watch the 3 shows for that amount of money for the remaining months? Oh yeah, because they are not capable/willing to solve the technology behind to support the fans worldwide with more SG:C servers. And it is still a disgrace in the XXI. century.

But as I said before I won't hate them, just I am disappointed and annoyed as it is not fair with long-time fans. I still believe in the future of this franchise. At least they noticed the negative feedback from the fans and I am wondering if they have made any real changes.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
        But as I said before I won't hate them, just I am disappointed and annoyed as it is not fair with long-time fans. I still believe in the future of this franchise. At least they noticed the negative feedback from the fans and I am wondering if they have made any real changes.
        That's the problem -- they haven't.

The spinning is just not necessary in a feature cut, which has to flow like one story. And if you're back to editting you can alter VFX as you go. And better sound effects or whatever else you would need to spice it up to match a 4K download.

And my reasons not spending the equivalent of 20 dollars on this download:

A digital download -- virtual zeros and ones, not even an actual disc to add to the collection -- just air in a manner of speaking
        There's not even manufacturing costs of making the DVD, or the cover art. No extras.

MGM has given 6 countries a whole lot more for their 20 dollar, and all I get (if it will be available) is a digital download of something I might not even like?!? Guess again...

Comment

Interesting to see the rebrand. I think there's potential in the format if they don't shoehorn stuff in. There's plenty of other one off or minor characters who'd be interesting to explore without causing the groan inducing "solutions" that this did. I'm willing to give them another shot at the concept.
          sigpic
          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
            Interesting to see the rebrand. I think there's potential in the format if they don't shoehorn stuff in. There's plenty of other one off or minor characters who'd be interesting to explore without causing the groan inducing "solutions" that this did. I'm willing to give them another shot at the concept.
            I assume you're referring to the memory loss required to fit into the time line?

They got their chance to proof they value the fans. They blew it, as far as I am concerned.

So therefore... bye bye MGM!

Comment

Maybe Disney should take over. Joking, not joking.

Comment

Originally posted by BethHG View Post
                Maybe Disney should take over. Joking, not joking.
                Joking or not, I do get better treatment from Disney than I do from MGM.

* in regards to Star Wars, we even have a special kind of relationship with Disney and Lucasfilm

Comment

t’ll be available for purchase on:

US & Canada- Amazon Prime Video, VUDU, Comcast, FandangoNOW, Redbox, Verizon, and Cineplex.

“Global”- Google Play, iTunes, Microsoft, and PlayStation Store.

Two things, does that mean it’ll be free to Amazon Prime subscribers? And doesn’t Redbox deal in DVD/Bluray?

ETA: nevermind about Redbox, they do have streaming.
                  Last edited by mooseman; 18 June 2018, 02:43 PM. Reason: New info

Comment

Originally posted by mooseman View Post
                    ...does that mean it’ll be free to Amazon Prime subscribers?
                    Nope, see other thread with info about Amazon Prime (US-only).

Comment

“Global”- Google Play, iTunes, Microsoft, and PlayStation Store.
                      I went and looked it up on the Microsoft Store, and found it.

In Belgium available for 16,99 euro for the HD version, and 13,99 euro for the SD version. Subtitles are English, French and Dutch.

HD = 6,1 GB (1080p) or 3,22 GB (720p)
                      SD = 1,8 GB

Can be played on Xbox, or Windows 8 and higher.

Time says 1h44 minutes - no rating.

No luck on the Playstation Store.

iTunes

Available for 16,99 euro, in HD and 4K.
                      However, there's a catch: 4K can only be viewed on Apple TV 4K.

iTunes films can be watched on computer, iPod, iPad or Apple TV.
                      HDR playback is only available on iPhone 8, iPhone 8 plus, iPhone X, iPad Pro 10.5, iPad Pro 12.9 and Apple TV 4K.

HD = 3,6 Gb (720p) & ?? Gb (1080p)
                      SD = 1,59 Gb

Subtitles are plenty: English, German, French, Italian, Japanese, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish & Turkish

Yup, people expecting to see Origins in 4K are so going to disappointed... cause that's not happening unless you're stocked with an Apple 4K TV.

Interesting article, explaining Apple 4K TV: iTunes 4K Movies Are Only For Apple TV Streaming, Not For Downloading

Google play next...

Odd... length is 40 minutes shorter on Google Play than it is on iTunes and the Microsoft Store: 104 minutes.

Costs 16,99 euro

No info on quality.

16,99 euro = 19,74 US dollar

Comment

Nope, see other thread with info about Amazon Prime (US-only).
                        Yeah, I’ve always differentiated between Amazon pay Vids and their “free” Vids by only calling the free ones “Prime”. I just got myself confused.

Although, I’m sure part of it was hopeful thinking because I can’t use that iTunes code.

Comment

Yeah, I’ve always differentiated between Amazon pay Vids and their “free” Vids by only calling the free ones “Prime”. I just got myself confused.

Although, I’m sure part of it was hopeful thinking because I can’t use that iTunes code.
                          I'm not familiar with Amazon Prime although a friend of mine has a subscription with Amazon -- thought not entirely sure what she does with it, other than buy a lot of stuff.

Comment

I also have got Amazon Prime. Basically it has got a yearly fee and then they can make the home deliveries quicker and or sometimes there are nice add-on items. Theoratically I could watch movies with it as well, so this is the main advantage of Amazon Prime.
                            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                              Basically it has got a yearly fee and then they can make the home deliveries quicker and or sometimes there are nice add-on items.
                              This -- this is what my friend has too.

I knew it had a function, but I couldn't remember what.

Comment

I'm not familiar with Amazon Prime although a friend of mine has a subscription with Amazon -- thought not entirely sure what she does with it, other than buy a lot of stuff.
                                Ah, I see why I got myself confused now. The Video streaming part of Amazon used to be call Amazon Instant Video whose library consisted of paid programs and the “free” Prime-eligible videos. I guess they changed the name to Prime Video at some point. I never used their streaming much.

Anyway, here we are well into the 19th, seeing SGO available on numerous services for $20...and still waiting on the email with the iTunes code...but, Im sure “they’re working on it”.

Comment

Working...
                                X