X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

: unwanted offworld franchise activity detected :
    : FH has accidentally closed the Iris :
    : problems solved :
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      Exit left... or whatever side of the stage one exits...

Or bow out...

Fade to black...

Fizzle out...

Go up in smoke...

Die out...

Exeunt omnes, if we're feeling Latin-y/Ancient-y?
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
        : unwanted offworld franchise activity detected :
        : FH has accidentally closed the Iris :
        : problems solved :
        *splat*

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        Exeunt omnes, if we're feeling Latin-y/Ancient-y?
        We do. We do. Excellent.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Found the email in my inbox this morning.
          Thought I had unsubscribed but I guess this was automatically send to all account-holders.

Comment

I never even bothered to sign up for that website. I saw that it was going to flop. Because I'm a true fan unlike FH
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              I never even bothered to sign up for that website. I saw that it was going to flop. Because I'm a true fan unlike FH
              Yes, thank you...

Comment

sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

sigpic
                  Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                  https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

^ That guy does a impressive Dan Carlin impression.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I have to admit I forgot about Stargate Command. I am able to watch the shows on Hulu and forgot about Origins all together. I guess because I didn't watch it when it came out and there are so many streaming services. However that was a good video. I think the best bet is for either MGM to get bought out or sell stargate. There is a streaming war going on (I watch way to much Screen Junkies) and something like Netflix doesn't have that cult hit sci-fi show. Sure they have Stranger Things but that maybe more horror then Sci-fi. I think something such as Netflix would love to make another show with a fanbase already there. Or make another season, they did this with Gilmore Girls which was off for a long time before that.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                        There is a streaming war going on (I watch way to much Screen Junkies) and something like Netflix doesn't have that cult hit sci-fi show. Sure they have Stranger Things but that maybe more horror then Sci-fi. I think something such as Netflix would love to make another show with a fanbase already there. Or make another season, they did this with Gilmore Girls which was off for a long time before that.
                        Cult shows tend not to last long on Netflix. Their business model is simply not friendly to long form storytelling because how many people watch one of their shows is secondary to how many new subscribers a show can bring in. The very few shows that make it beyond season 3 on Netflix are in some way buzz worthy like “House of Cards,” which provided Netflix with free promotion by winning awards or “Stranger Things,” which is a zeitgeist type show that everyone talks about when a new season drops.

Most shows, though, are used to generate buzz around the announcement of a series premiere. Netflix wants to appeal to different demographics, so they’ll go after Hispanics, as they did with “One Day at a Time,” or Sci Fi fans, as they did with “Sense8." "Gilmore Girls" was also about bringing in a demographic with a short-lived revival, not about long form storytelling. Once you’re subscribed, they assume they can keep (most of) you with their other content, so they don’t have a strong drive to keep producing season after season.

If the show comes from an outside studio, Netflix has an even greater reason to drop it after season 2 or 3: Money. Traditionally, studios license shows to networks and those networks pay for the bulk of the show’s production costs in exchange for taking in all the first run ad revenue. This means that for a studio to start making money for a show, it has to last long enough for them to be able to syndicate it (usually that can happen at the 5 season mark). Most shows don’t make it that far, but both the studios and networks love it when they have a successful show on their hands because the studios get their syndication money and the networks have a reliable revenue generator. In that case, both parties want a show to last long as is feasible.

In contrast, Netflix has been negotiating deals with studios whereby Netflix agrees to pay for all the production costs and, on top of that, pay the studio a certain amount of money upfront. In exchange, studios have to give up the syndication rights to their properties. While studios normally don’t pay the lion’s share of a show’s production budget, they do chip in and because they need a show to last long enough to go into syndication to make money, they largely play a numbers game. The idea is that if they license 10 shows, 2 might end up in syndication and pay for what they lost on the other 8. Netflix’s deal ensures that studios make money on a show no matter when Netflix cancels it and studios get a larger percentage of money from Netflix after each season. Unfortunately, by season 2/3, the percentage that Netflix has to pay that studio often becomes cost prohibitive.

This also complicates making deals for top properties. A studio with an "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" on their hands wants the aforementioned deal because it's a show that couldn't get a single season on a network. Many other pitches are too quirky or complex to work on a network, so a studio is happy to collect some revue from Netflix for a season or two. Nobody, however, wants to give up the syndication rights to the next "Friends," and MGM is unlikely to want to do that with Stargate since it's their most valuable property after James Bond.

Other streaming services are too new to see how closely they'll follow that model, but a lower tiered one that doesn't primarily derive its revenue from its streaming business, might be a better fit for Stargate, especially if they own the property outright. If an MGM streaming service ever takes off, I can see Stargate becoming their flagship show, much like Star Trek has for CBS. It might also do well on an Amazon Prime or Apple TV if MGM is bought by either of them. Netflix would also love to have MGM's extensive library, but I'd fully expect them to use Stargate content to generate buzz and then dump it unless it becomes a breakout hit. "Lost in Space" is apparently doing very well on Netflix right now, so maybe a Stargate revival could be more than a cult show on Netflix, but that's the problem with Netflix right now; Stargate would have to be a surprise, smash hit to have staying power on their service.
                        Last edited by Xaeden; 26 March 2020, 07:26 PM.

Comment

If it's not on Netflix -- if it goes to a streaming service -- then it has zero chance of ever being watched legally... unless it'll be released on DVD/BR.

Comment

I believe we would be more than happy to get a few seasons on Netflix than nothing even if it would be cancelee after 2-3 seasons. Then writers would know how to finish the story.

Or they could produce a few SG standalone tv movies like a series of 90-100 minutes episodes what they were planning with the DVD movies anyway. Netflix spends a ridicolous amount 6 billions (!) on new contents every year. Ark of Truth and Continuum had a budget of 7 and 10 million dollars. Even Altered Carbon, Lost in space, Star Trek Discovery have 5-10 million dollars / episode on Netflix.

Stargate was always on the edge with their budget as they had only 80-85 millions for 40 episode. And that is still insans how "cheaply" they managed to produce it with reused sets and limited outside shots. But I am sure we have talked about many times.
                            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                              I believe we would be more than happy to get a few seasons on Netflix than nothing even if it would be cancelee after 2-3 seasons. Then writers would know how to finish the story.
                              One of the problems is that Netflix has not been giving writers the opportunity to finish their stories. They gave Sense8 a movie to wrap things up after the fact, but most of their 2/3 season and done shows just get canceled without forewarning. The last couple of MCU shows to air were announced before their final seasons dropped but well after shooting had wrapped. For most everything else, Netflix made everyone who worked on a show wait until after the most recent season was released to tell them it was over.

Unless something changes over at Netflix in the next few years, the best we could hope for if Stargate were in that situation is a wrap up movie or the writers having to treat every season like it could be the last again.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                                The last couple of MCU shows to air were announced before their final seasons dropped but well after shooting had wrapped.
                                Let's not forget that Disney "kindly" announced to Netflix that they were taking all their content and put it on a brand new streaming service of their own -- Disney+ -- which would mostly likely, and it did, loose Netflix subscriptions (especially in the USA, as Disney+ is not available on a global scale) so why, on any Earths, would Netflix continue to create content that they don't actually own the IP off?

It's about money.

The same would go for Stargate. They won't own the IP so it's the license they have to pay for, and contribute the production costs because MGM's not gonna foot the bill. They never do.

It's a natural business model... I don't see why this surprises anyone, really.

Comment

Working...
                                X