• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
    Thank you, kindly.
    You're welcome.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Oh yeah... TopFan is definitely in trouble when the GDPR goes into effect on May 25. Good thing all-access ends May 15. Germany and the UK are after all still bound by European privacy laws: How Europe’s new privacy rule is reshaping the internet

Comment

I appreciate your consumer-advocacy Falcon Horus. The regional roll-out media model is outdated in the age of the internet and goes against human nature of story-telling, sharing, and audience interaction. It is frustrating to the core. That is good that the EU is causing the change for privacy laws. Hopefully, global demand will also see the retiring of regional media roll-outs and regional media denials.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
          ...global demand will also see the retiring of regional media roll-outs and regional media denials.
          I don't think we'll see the end of that soon though. Netflix is certainly on the right track with their own content, but as far as licensed content goes and rights are involved... not any time soon.

Comment

Nope, sadly I too believe that it will still take quite some time before streaming and other media rights are universal world-wide, if it happens at all.

I've been to London a few times and when I log into Netflix, I always saw a bunch of shows I wished I could watch in the Netherlands (such as Tin-Tin, god I love that animated show). Something funny though, I live in the North-East of the Netherlands where Arriva is in charge of public transport by train. If I log into the WiFi network aboard the train, I believe I'm getting a UK IP address since if I open Netflix I get the UK catalog. Unfortunately the WiFi is so bad that I can't stream any of it. I also think they still had the 1994 film on there. We only had it for a couple of weeks before it was removed (no matter, since it was only the theatrical version and it was 16:9 pan & scan)

Comment

So, all-access has been extended until September 20, 2018 (or September 19, 2018 -- their FAQ speaks of two dates in fact) which means they'll be squaring of with the new European GDPR privacy rules which go into effect on May 25. I wonder if German and British customers have gotten the "We have changed our privacy rules" mail yet. Actually, everyone should have gotten that.

Still gonna send them a mail on May 26, asking them what data they have on me.
              Or I'll forget cause I banned the site from my start page so I'm not reminded of it every time I open a webbrowser.

Comment

Why are the assumed pronouns of Stargate fans there defaulted to he/him? This isn't 1952.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/us...he-versus-they

Comment

Even I make mistakes against that... and when it comes to myself, I don't mind how they refer to me -- he or she is fine. Best not use "it", unless it's IT-related as in Information Technology.

But male / female is pretty much baked into this western society -- you know... unfortunately.

Comment

The stereotype that only male-identified people can like science fiction just has me squinting, because I see it happen a lot over there. Not with the mods but with the user comments.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
                      The stereotype that only male-identified people can like science fiction just has me squinting, because I see it happen a lot over there. Not with the mods but with the user comments.
                      Oh, like that.

Stereotyping is quite common too. I fear more squinting ahead though.

Comment

What about trans / LGBTQ / LGBTQ2 / Queers / non-binary / Apache-helicopter ?

Jokes aside, I think it will take time to change these old habits. Give it a few generations
                        Spoiler:
                        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                          ...LGBTQ2...
                          I'm suddenly having a vision of a gay boat... ...it's that Q2 at the end. It reminds me of QE2... I know, I'm weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                            ...Apache-helicopter...
                            Aaaaand, I just spent way too much time looking at helicopter Transformers in Google images, along with comparing groundbridges and space portals to stargates and space gates.

Update 12/7/2018: I found out this helicopter "joke" is being used a strawman slur against gender and sexual minorities elsewhere on this site and regret even joining this convo. For anyone who reads this, please forgive my naivete. Thanks for your understanding.
                            Last edited by WraithTech; 07 December 2018, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Comment

Either the site is buggy today, or I got put on a persona non grata list and keep getting auto logged out.

I was trying to make comments on the outdated and xenophobic language on the site, including the embarrassing misgendering and 1950s grade B movie poster talk that is coming from SGC writers, but can't get in. So, I will say here again, stuff like this is why people in other fandoms place Star Trek higher than Stargate and suppressing criticism of outdated language and distribution platforms won't make the outdatedness go away. People outside of Stargate will just keep mocking the fandom.

Also, I saw people from South America and other excluded countries flaunting that they were able to have access, so there are ways around the geoblocks. One person mentioned VPNs in conjunction with some sort of credit card which has a forwarded billing address in one of the 6 countries. I wonder if any of the people outside the Big 6 were able to have t-shirts shipped to them, the way Russians have forwarding parties in the US for sending eBay purchases, or if the shirt vendors just shipped them without question and looked the other way.
                                Last edited by WraithTech; 12 May 2018, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X