Stargate : Command - ideas, suggestions, problems and feedbacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    so why, on any Earths, would Netflix continue to create content that they don't actually own the IP off?

It's about money.

The same would go for Stargate. They won't own the IP so it's the license they have to pay for, and contribute the production costs because MGM's not gonna foot the bill. They never do.

It's a natural business model... I don't see why this surprises anyone, really.
    Yeah, that's my point. Netflix programs that they license (and do no own outright) are very expensive for them under the licensing agreement that they use, so a Stargate show that they also license automatically has a strike against any prospect of becoming a long running show. If they did buy MGM, they would be able to save a lot by only having to pay the production costs, so it would have a better chance of making it passed 2 or 3 seasons, but there would still be the issue that it would have to prove to Netflix that it could bring in new subscribers at that point.

The MCU situation, as you noted, is also a special case because it's a casualty of the streaming wars, which is why I did not use any of them as examples of Netflix's exploit for buzz and then dump model. Rather, I only mentioned them in the context of shows that did or did not get advanced notice that they were canceled.

Comment

As far as I know they have cancelled the Marvel shows on Netflix as the rights belongs to Disney now. I believe they have made such a contract that they can't use the characters for 2-3 years. So Disney quickly axed all of them on Netflix, but maybe they can return on Disney+ in 2022 or later. But MCU has never really merged with the Marvel tv shows, but hopefully this attitude will change in phase 4 and 5.

But back to Stargate. I have not even heard about this Epix streaming service, so thanks for the video.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
        But back to Stargate. I have not even heard about this Epix streaming service, so thanks for the video.
        Epix is USA only... it's worthless to the international audience.

Amazon Prime
        Apple TV
        Netflix

Those are the only streaming services available (currently) worldwide. However, their libraries vary greatly and what is available in North-America might not be available internationally. Perfect example of this was the Stargate 1994 movie -- it was available on Netflix USA but not anywhere else internationally.

I only have a subscription to Netflix which I will not expand with Amazon or Apple, for the simple reason they have nothing of value to offer to me, and that includes future stargate. I didn't even subscribe to Netflix until season 2 of Discovery and after I found out they have Arrow and The Flash available a week after it airs in the USA. At first, I thought that included the other CW shows but didn't happen to be true as they don't get added until a year after airing in the USA (same with Outlander).

Edit
        It should be noted that a year after airing means the US audience will have spoiled your season to kingdom come.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
          As far as I know they have cancelled the Marvel shows on Netflix as the rights belongs to Disney now. I believe they have made such a contract that they can't use the characters for 2-3 years. So Disney quickly axed all of them on Netflix, but maybe they can return on Disney+ in 2022 or later. But MCU has never really merged with the Marvel tv shows, but hopefully this attitude will change in phase 4 and 5.
          I didn't mention the MCU shows in my initial post because I didn't want their unique situation to complicate that point about Netflix's business model and instead only mentioned them in the context of shows that did or did not get notice about their cancellations. Basically, it wouldn't have been fair for me to say that no short-lived Netflix shows got notice before they were canceled because "Jessica Jones" and "The Punisher" did, so I felt obligated to reference them in my reply to you.

Anyway, Disney has owned the rights to those characters since they bought Marvel. Disney licensed the rights to Netflix, enabling Netflix to make shows using those characters for as long as they want, contingent on Netflix continuously using them. Basically, they have a couple of years after the previous season was released to start production on a new season. If they do nothing in that time, the rights revert back to Disney, which will soon start happening in some cases. Nothing was stopping Netflix from continuing to produce those shows, nor did Disney have any hand in axing them. Rather, Disney opted not to renew its short-term agreements for Netflix to stream second market Disney content because they wanted things like the MCU films to be exclusively available on Disney +. After this happened, Netflix starting axing the Marvel shows that were made exclusively for their service.

The timing and complete purge makes it seem retaliatory, but we don't know that for sure, nor do we know if there were any other factors involved as Netflix does not release viewing numbers, so those shows may not have been doing well enough to support their soon to be increased costs. Some outside tracking numbers suggested that "The Defenders" didn't do very well in comparison to other shows and that viewership was dropping in second and, where applicable, third seasons. It's possible that the pressure to watch all of those shows in order to keep on top of what was going on hurt their viewership and that, at the very least, played a role in Netflix's decision to cancel them. We just don't know, so I don't want to lump them into the larger problem that Netflix has with getting shows passed the 2-3 season mark.

Epix is a cable/satellite network with an on-demand option that lets people stream the network's content. MGM has made a push to create original programming for the network, but it's a relatively new effort and those shows have exclusively been limited to comedic/serious dramas, a single reality show, and various documentaries/specials. "War of the Worlds," which Epix acquired the American distribution rights to, will be their first foray into a "new" science fiction TV show when they start airing it later this year.
          Last edited by Xaeden; 15 January 2020, 03:18 PM.

Comment

While most of you are in isolation, here are 217 SG videos on the Stargate : Command's youtube page :

https://www.youtube.com/user/StargateCentral/videos

Have fun!
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Working...
            X