Stargate : Command - ideas, suggestions, problems and feedbacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
    Either the site is buggy today, or I got put on a persona non grata list and keep getting auto logged out.
    The site logs you out automatically when you close your browser. It doesn't do that when it's just the tab its open in.
    It never kept you logged in.

-- darn it, why are the church bells ringing like crazy. That needs to stop, right this instant --

I was trying to make comments on the outdated and xenophobic language on the site, including the embarrassing misgendering and 1950s grade B movie poster talk that is coming from SGC writers, but can't get in. So, I will say here again, stuff like this is why people in other fandoms place Star Trek higher than Stargate and suppressing criticism of outdated language and distribution platforms won't make the outdatedness go away. People outside of Stargate will just keep mocking the fandom.
    On what post?

Also, I saw people from South America and other excluded countries flaunting that they were able to have access, so there are ways around the geoblocks. One person mentioned VPNs in conjunction with some sort of credit card which has a forwarded billing address in one of the 6 countries. I wonder if any of the people outside the Big 6 were able to have t-shirts shipped to them, the way Russians have forwarding parties in the US for sending eBay purchases, or if the shirt vendors just shipped them without question and looked the other way.
    Some US-folks who signed up early didn't even get their shirt, and some got two, or the wrong size. Someone used an American as a go-between to have the T-shirt shipped to them.

Yes, VPN's are a possibility if you try buying through the website, but you'd still have to get passed the credit card, and some aren't accepted at all. There are websites which generate fake addresses for you, which are real enough to pass through any security check if they don't look to close. But you always run the risk of not getting in, or loosing your money and getting blocked regardless.

Going in through the app is riskier since you have to be able to turn off geolocation and I know of at least one Spaniard with whom that didn't work. They also closed that loophole in the app so a couple of French guys who got in that way, lost their access around March (halfway throug Stargate Origins).

Besides, why would I want to get in that way when if piracy when it comes down to -- I'll just google it. No way, I'm gonna spend money on an "illegal" venture.

And I'm truly surprised that all of a sudden piracy is OK with those all-access folks, when before it was all like "Watch live, legal, buy the DVD's, please support the franchise!" -- Really?!?
    So when they stand to loose their precious Stargate, we suddenly get to play dirty so that they can have more -- yeah, I don't think so. Now how that works. I'm not your stargate slave.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      The site logs you out automatically when you close your browser. It doesn't do that when it's just the tab its open in.
      Just checked again and the site did take my comments on some kind of delay. I hadn't closed the browser, but just tried to navigate to another page and it kept asking me to log in if I wanted to comment. My comments were on 2 of the recent feeds, one of them using the objectifying pronoun “it” as mentioned above. If someone’s gender is not known, that is never OK. And, why is this suddenly a problem on SGC when that violates their own canon? Sometimes, I swear people are reading posts here and are deliberately trying to outdate and sink Stargate.

Some US-folks who signed up early didn't even get their shirt, and some got two, or the wrong size. Someone used an American as a go-between to have the T-shirt shipped to them.
      There are comments that the digital transcripts all-access people were promised May 11th were only for episode one, not the full movie. LOL! Give GateWorld enough time and all 10 parts will be available here digitally, for free.

a couple of French guys who got in that way, lost their access around March (halfway through Stargate Origins).
      That’s terrible. So much for that. I wonder if they were refunded.

And I'm truly surprised that all of a sudden piracy is OK with those all-access folks
      YES! That is the broken record, stamp answer for everything the past few weeks. The Origins movie itself is everywhere, including popular video social media sites. But, the extras are not, at least not easy to find. Yet. But, the all-access people show up and mob no-access people to pirate.
      Last edited by WraithTech; 12 May 2018, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Just checked again and the site did take my comments on some kind of delay. I hadn't closed the browser, but just tried to navigate to another page and it kept asking me to log in if I wanted to comment. My comments were on 2 of the recent feeds, one of them using the objectifying pronoun “it” as mentioned above. If someone’s gender is not known, that is never OK. And, why is this suddenly a problem on SGC when that violates their own canon? Sometimes, I swear people are reading posts here and are deliberately trying to outdate and sink Stargate.
        I saw your comment on the Creature Feature, which also the dude mentioning the feeding slip... I checked to see if he was right.

There are comments that the digital transcripts all-access people were promised May 11th were only for episode one, not the full movie. LOL! Give GateWorld enough time and all 10 parts will be available here digitally, for free.
        You know, if they bothered to read the FAQ which most neglected doing so, they would have known that it's only the first episode and not of the whole thing. The FAQ clearly states it's a digital copy of the script of the pilot episode. And there are 10 episodes so they have nothing to stand on here.

That’s terrible. So much for that. I wonder if they were refunded.
        FAQ also clearly states refunds are not possible.
        They were only possible for Americans who paid for all-access from August 25 to September 20 -- and refunds were only possible before September 20, 2017. No refunds after.

Comment

You know, if they bothered to read the FAQ which most neglected doing so, they would have known that it's only the first episode and not of the whole thing.
          It is because of the stuff I am reading in here that I have started to read FAQs more closely before I buy anything. I expect all terms of sale to be in the bill of sale, not FAQ pages, and that could probably be contested with credit card companies, but who wants the hassle?

Comment

It is because of the stuff I am reading in here that I have started to read FAQs more closely before I buy anything. I expect all terms of sale to be in the bill of sale, not FAQ pages, and that could probably be contested with credit card companies, but who wants the hassle?
            I know of one person who involved the Apple iOS store when he wanted a refund, just because they weren't clear in their sales pitch what all-access entailed and that it had an end -- once again, one time vs lifetime. They keep getting that part wrong.

At the SGC I read everything, the Privacy Policy (which they should seriously consider altering to incorperate the GDPR which goes into effect May 25 and they have to comply with it), the Terms of Service, the FAQ and the press pages.

Comment

Looking over them now... the people grabbing random art and images from Google and other sites and uploading them to SGC should read over rules 3 A, B, and C of the Terms of Use page.

Comment

You may have more luck just posting them then that they will read them.

Comment

If I see another piece I suspect is stolen, I will do just that. I did see Ariane’s Todd wallie again, with her watermark chopped off. I tried to look up her contact info, but saw her SGA screencap site is up for adoption and she probably is not around the fandom any more.

The “forum” section of SGC feels like I am looking through the window of a lab and seeing a psychology experiment unfold.

In consumer psychology, there is the Endowment effect. People who were allowed access and paid $20 for the site overwhelmingly praise Origins. Meanwhile, people who were excluded and who watched Origins on the sly overwhelmingly ridicule Origins, dropping by just to briefly mock it, and then moving on, leaving the all-access people to shake their fists at the posts.
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endowment_effect

But, the more disturbing actions on there have to do with random privilege. The all-access people, through no merit of their own, but by random luck of having residence in 6 select countries, act in the same privileged way. When excluded people protest, privileged people tell them to be thankful for the 3 episodes and what they have in life, to shut up and go away, that they have too much free time and are bitter, that privileged people can’t be bothered to see reminder posts from those excluded, that excluded people should pirate or chance using a VPN and forfeiting their accounts and $20 if caught. Stargate fans have been divided and fall into the random roles their lots fell to, just like the Stanford Prison Experiment, where random people, all innocent, were assigned roles and the people in privileged roles started to act in unkind ways, just because of roles.
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanfo...son_experiment

And, what activists, advocates, and allies for exposing food deserts, child slave labor in some chocolate-producing countries, gender and sex causes, LGBTQ+ causes, police brutality, animals forced into circuses, etc. do not hear the same old excuses from people in places of privilege who do not want to confront privilege? Same excuses over and over. I am not saying keeping people from a website is on par with these listed oppressions, but that the mechanics of how it happens is all the same, reproducible in controlled, laboratory environments. And, people can and should do better.

So long as we all accept random roles, there is no incentive for media to change. Let us reject the random roles and support one another as fellow Stargate fans. At the very least, if someone asks for access, people can comment that they wish the fandom were not divided so and that regional roll-outs are outdated.
                  Last edited by WraithTech; 13 May 2018, 11:57 AM. Reason: typo, role-outs, lol

Comment

*applause for this well written piece*

Comment

Thanks.
                      [sarcasm]Now, we can all go back to out-grouping, othering, misgendering, and deriding Todd, Fifth, Yu, and other Stargate characters and races, because roles and stuff, even for fictional groups too.[/sarcasm]

Comment

Thanks.
                        [sarcasm]Now, we can all go back to out-grouping, othering, misgendering, and deriding Todd, Fifth, Yu, and other Stargate characters and races, because roles and stuff, even for fictional groups too.[/sarcasm]
                        And they wonder why stargate isn't mainstream...

I have a feeling you've been at it in my all-access thread... I haven't been back because it makes my blood boil to be quite honest. And I find the continued lack of information coming from the staff at Command quite telling.

Comment

I have a feeling you've been at it in my all-access thread... I haven't been back because it makes my blood boil to be quite honest.
                          I looked at a couple of threads related to geoblocking and think I've listed all the privileged reactions. None of them are original either. One hears them everywhere, in different times and places, for different issues, regarding challenging various roles we are seemingly forced into. People posting them like to think they are being original though. I haven't seen a "move to Iraq" comment yet, maybe because people assume 'gaters without "mom" or "princess" in their names are male-identified (as if wrongs done in Iraq excuse other wrongs locally). But, who knows, maybe I missed some.

Comment

Yes, it's generally true that if your username isn't specific about it, and even then, it's all he or him. As I have noticed myself (or have done myself -- I can't deny that).

Comment

I haven't seen you do that and I have likely done so too-- when one has an account in one place such as this site for a number of years, things change and we change too. I got curious and looked in the episode 10 Origins thread and found 15/18 people posting identified as male.

People who are not native English speakers get more leeway on the pronouns, also, both for assumed male for fans or the incorrect "it" for Stargate races, because Google translate has its limits. Professional writers, though, and people with many jobs requiring business writing, in native English-speaking countries, should keep up with and know the political ramifications of their word choices and be using their platforms in a current and socially-responsible way. Pro writers currently misgendering should be held accountable.

Speaking of diversity, the geoblocking irritates me even more because it felt as if Origins had thoughtful diversity, for the humans and the Goa'uld, yet the audience able to discuss it is limited in geographical diversity. I think one of the people posting here said he was from Asia and getting around the block through downloading and he was still missing the mission files and other extras. His input was enjoyable and I wonder what all other conversations are missing because of the blocks.

Comment

I haven't seen you do that and I have likely done so too-- when one has an account in one place such as this site for a number of years, things change and we change too. I got curious and looked in the episode 10 Origins thread and found 15/18 people posting identified as male.
                                I mostly did at some point or another, but I, myself, don't have a much identifying username. Though I never felt like it had to be that way. It's just two things put together I happen to like a lot.

I hadn't given it much though that geoblocking also meant a lack of diverse feedback. Mmm... that's fascinating food for thought.

Comment

Working...
                                X