No announcement yet.

Stargate : Command - ideas, suggestions, problems and feedbacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well.. I didn't want to advertise the Abydos Gate here and it is off topic.

I know they have sold every sketches and that is such a shame. I collected a few one from JM's blog, what you can find here:

Atlantis season 1:
    http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/thumbnails.php?album=447

Atlantis season 2:
    http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/thumbnails.php?album=421

Atlantis season 4:
    http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/thumbnails.php?album=407

Atlantis season 5:
    http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/thumbnails.php?album=483

SG-1:
    http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/thumbnails.php?album=92

Universe :
    http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/thumbnails.php?album=536

I have a bad habit to organize everything like a librarian. But you know such collections should be on the "official" stargate website... It is sad that they have sold everything and they haven't kept the most important thing, the stargate prop.

I believe we should make a little list of suggestions/demands/wishes for the future what we would like to see on SG:C if any new show / webepisodes / whatever happens next to the extended access for ALL fans:

- episode world premiere with international subtitles at least on 5 languages
    - link to "trailers"
    - link to episode related production design and conception art gallery
    - link to episode related promotional picture gallery
    - link to episode related location gallery (like my 3D set photos etc.)
    - interviews with guest stars, directors
    - link to episode related mythologies or interesting facts

I am strictly talking about future SG projects. I always loved the LOTR DVDs as I could fill that the creators of that triology were really interested to please the fans. When you can see so much extras that you can't decide what to watch at first. I wish MGM could reach this level that the fans would be motivated with quality contents and plenty of quality extras what would not be normally maybe on DVDs. Maybe I am just dreaming again.... I believe they should hire a few new responsible people who could communicate with fans, who would understand and monitor them what they would like to see and who would definately make some quality controll on the SG brand and its merchandise products. As I said I am just a dreamer and probably the MGM will never invest enough money into this scifi world. They are wasting this potential with silly communication and financial decisions and geographical discriminations, while this established scifi realm could achive so much more on popularity and financially as well. This franchise really needs Brad Wright or a new Kevin Feige type person who knows what we could reach in the next 5-10 years with this brand.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
      I believe they should hire a few new responsible people who could communicate with fans, who would understand and monitor them what they would like to see and who would definately make some quality controll on the SG brand and its merchandise products.
      That would be the current team behind Stargate Command but, while I'm sure they have to experience to feel the "needs" (in a manner of speaking) of the fan community, I think MGM keeps them on a very short leesh and doesn't allow them to exploit the full potential of what a community can achieve when properly motivated.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Well.. I simply don't understand why they can't feel the potential in this brand. You know Star Wars covers a different aspect of scifi/adventure, the Star Trek has also got its own territories. But StarGate could work as a mix of mythology / fantasy / scifi / adventure. They could tell so many different type of stories that everyone could find their favorite.

For example... I always missed that they haven't published or suggested a little timeline of Stargate where they could establlish such "eras" where future shows or fan fictions could work. Iit would be nice to see the short term and the long term plans for the next years (like phases at the Marvel), if they would like to be 3rd or 4th biggest scifi brand after the SW, Marvel and ST. I doubt it wouldn't be achievable with careful planning. New TV shows could support TV (DVD) movies then later big budget movies, while they should release more in-canon novels, games etc.

But the centre should always be the fans that they must serve them with quality stories and quality extras. If they can not provide even the essential access to the site, then what do they expect? We are in the XXI. century... So I don't know who is responsible for the marketing part of the SG, but they should find someone better. Sorry.

I also don't like wasted episodes when it was written for character moments with minimalistic sets and porops. I can only hope that if we get any new shows, then they won't waste screentime on unnecessary things and they return to hardcore storytelling. Every episode should be made like a possible last one. In the beginning they said that basic principle that they will treat every SG-1 episode like a standalone mini-movie. I hope they will return to this kind of storytelling, if they find the right balance between comedy and serious plots. We will see what will they announce on the July 19th.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

But the centre should always be the fans that they must serve them with quality stories and quality extras. If they can not provide even the essential access to the site, then what do they expect? We are in the XXI. century... So I don't know who is responsible for the marketing part of the SG, but they should find someone better. Sorry.
          I don't think they realize it but I do think they have already alienated enough people, not necessarily hardcore fans (because those will circle back after a while unless you P*** them off real good), that were they to give people access to all the content behind the paywall such as the Dial Home interviews, they would find that it would probably be a little too late.

I blocked the stargate command twitter account today, once again, because I'm sick and tired of seeing them promote those interviews and pretend everyone can watch them which isn't true. They can't even be honest about that, or at least clear about it.

We will see what will they announce on the July 19th.
          I wouldn't hope too much because disappointment is not pretty.

I was apparently already correct to assume the "special something" they have in mind, is in fact a screening of the feature cut on some naval ship. And the 50 first people who are all-access will get entrance to it. That's literally alienating your fans, and I hate this divide they have deliberately created. When next fans complain that SGU was shunned by fans and the franchise suffered for it, I'll be sure to point them to Stargate Command and MGM who are doing exactly the same thing. No one to blame but themselves and 6 countries who didn't buy enough premium content.

Comment

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2018/...access-year-2/

Sounds promising.

The SG:C website had even more details :

https://www.stargatecommand.co/feeds...tml&k=b4ff8e7b
            It’s been one year since we launched STARGATE COMMAND. Though the All-Access Pass membership is coming to an end on September 19th, 2018, we hope you’ll re-enlist for the next year and beyond. Thanks to your amazing support and feedback, we’ve been able to create an even better STARGATE COMMAND experience, including these all-new features:

Curated story arcs: Experience classic stories via curated story arcs and integrated content along with the full Stargate library
            Comics and E-books: Lose yourself in our comprehensive library of classic and NEW digital comics and E-Books (Coming Soon!)
            Fan-Driven Content: Participate in the making of fan-driven content, including new stories (Coming Soon!)
            Event Access: Be the first to access Stargate events and experiences

To say thank you for being among our very first members, we've put together an exclusive package for all of our Founding Members who renew by October 20th.
            A limited-edition STARGATE COMMAND Founders patch.
            Rep your “Original Gater” status with exclusive user flair on the STARGATE COMMAND platform.
            Get even MORE Stargate with 3 extra months of STARGATE COMMAND for free.

Existing Stargate Command All-Access members in Canada, Australia, Germany, New Zealand, UK can re?enlist starting September 20th!

The All-Access Pass (and renewal pack) is available only in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, Australia, and New Zealand. Only renewing members will receive a Founding Member Pack. Your additional 3 months and user flair will be delivered later this year.
            According to the GW, the non-USA, but already All-Access 5 other country residents can extend it after 20th September. Hopefully more countries will be added.

I believe the SG:C message board should be kept for "visual jokes and threads", while they should integrate the GateWorld forum to the discussion about the episodes with links.

The comic part looks also exciting... It would be nice to see some reviews about official books and audiobooks as well. Maybe the RPG books should be put up in a read-only mode.
            Last edited by Platschu; 07 September 2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

While intrigued, though also still pessimistic, it's still not fair that existing All Access members get recognition and additional benefits as "founding members" since everyone else were deliberately locked out. Everyone who signs up the first year since it's available in their country should get those benefits and recognition. I feel especially currently non-All-Access-accessible members should get even more recognition due to our tenacity about staying involved (e.g. the Twitter storm).

Comment

No sure if I want to renew All Access

Comment

I believe the SG:C message board should be kept for "visual jokes and threads", while they should integrate the GateWorld forum to the discussion about the episodes with links.
                  No.

I do not want Gateworld tainted by that place. Not ever. No.

This place is truly international. It's free and we're all equal. We are stargate fans.

That place is all about exclusive BS and preferential treatment.

Originally posted by nivao View Post
                  While intrigued, though also still pessimistic, it's still not fair that existing All Access members get recognition and additional benefits as "founding members" since everyone else were deliberately locked out. Everyone who signs up the first year since it's available in their country should get those benefits and recognition. I feel especially currently non-All-Access-accessible members should get even more recognition due to our tenacity about staying involved (e.g. the Twitter storm).
                  I agree.

Here's my comment on the Gateworld article:

I just can’t get passed this particular bit:

Current All-Access subscribers will be offered a special package as an incentive to renew before October 20. The “Founding Member Pack” includes some special perks, including three additional months of service (15 months in total) and a “S.G.C. Founding Member” patch.
                  They deliberately kept the all-access access to 6 countries, blocking access to their “exclusive” content to everyone else, and now they even have the audacity to again give them more than everyone else?

THEY BLOCKED FANS FROM ALL BUT 6 COUNTRIES!!!!

They should be giving in an incentive to those blocked countries instead of the ones they already allowed access.
                  Gives us a reason to believe that they’re not just “working on it” or “we’re looking into it”.

This is, by far, the worst marketing I’ve ever come across.

Sidenote: that merchandise shop is 20 years too late by the way.

Comment

I just realized that they might actually need the incentive for their 1st year members to actually stick around cause I've seen quite a few who have no intention to renew.

Didn't think of that perspective until now... it still sucks for everyone else though.

Comment

We will see what they are going to announce or not to announce. Maybe we will hear more about the future of SG:C as well. We have to fight for the left-out countries, so I understand your disappointment.

I try to entertain the people on the "forum" because that one is free and it is better for SG related visual threads. I am not really good to post pictures on this forum. Oops.

By the way... They should put up the French and German audio version. If they want more paying French and German fans, then they should upload all synchronized versions to the SG:C servers... Not to mention the subtitles... But even the whole episode playing program need some changes (like to setup the audio, the subtitle size, the subtitle font size, withdrawal, split up to scenes, screenshot function, quality function etc.).

And you are absolutely right that they are behind with the merchandise shop. I imagined it would be nice if they could make some quality SG fridge magnets (like the different stargate, Jaffa symbols, Jaffa Guards, close up on a chevron etc.).

It is also interesting how they want to "manage" the comics as they were licensed by outer companies. Does it mean that their importance will be increased? I know that we talked about what is canon and what is non canon, so the comics still won't be part of it, just if the MGM starts to promote them so heavily then it can confuse the fans. Because then they could ask about novels and audiobooks as well... But really, you can't expect so many things for 20 dollars.

Comment

They deliberately locked out everyone from all but 6 countries? I had a conversation with you awhile back where I said that they weren't able to do a full initial international roll-out and would obviously like to work on that (they deliberately kept themselves from making money?), but existing licensing deals and the need to grow this business model before they could invest in the additional servers necessary to support new markets kept them from doing that initially (just as every digital platform before it has had to do, including Netflix which has now reached a point where it releases new content at the same time all over all the world).

Now they are, as predicted, working to expand access and have explained that the same issues I brought up to you previously prevented them from doing a huge initial roll-out.

“We’ve been working really, really hard to try and expand the reach of the All-Access Pass to more territories,” Dickson said. “But it takes time to build up these networks. We’re really excited for more people to be able to engage with the All-Access Pass.”

“We want to get to as many territories as possible,” Dickson said, “so we can really create a truly global community.”
                        This is a reference to exclusive licensing deals within certain countries that prevent them from rolling out there until those deals expire or are renegotiated:

"And you know Stargate is a legacy franchise, and it’s got [contractual] relationships built up over years. It takes time to figure that out.”
                        Your expectations are unrealistic and you're going off on MGM for not being able to meet them. They're a business that wants to exploit as large of the global market share as possible, but getting to the point where they're able to takes a bit of time. Once they get there, though, you'll get future releases a lot faster than you do under the current syndication system.

Comment

And I'll say it again: why didn't they just come out and say it straight up instead of spending a whole year giving us crap like "we're working on it"? They have absolutely no contractual relationships they would have to figure out to tell us at least that. That announcement didn't even change anything, they still say they're working on it. Only this time they did add a vague notion about contractual relationships built up over the years. The word "contractual" even has square brackets around it, which means the actual quote was edited by the writer of that article.

Again, what are those contractual relationships that prevented them from releasing All Access in, say, the Netherlands and not its neighbour Germany, while Stargate is still being shown on channels in Germany but not in the Netherlands? Is some transparency really that much to ask for in 2018?

Not to mention the fact that existing All Access members are getting additional benefits for being Founding Members, but since we didn't (as in couldn't) sign up since the beginning we won't be able to get those same benefits. Is that fair? Especially since we have been there since the beginning.

Comment

I am Hungarian and the only reason I could be an "all-access" member as I live in the UK. I still haven't got my download code for "Catherine" even if I have sent them an email. The site could be much more anyway as the only "extra" is the Dialing Home interviews at the moment. No DVD extra, no episode trailer, no picture galery. If they really want to be the central of Stargate then they have to work on it.... We will hear it in a week what they are planning to update, but their customer service is pretty bad. Simply you can't ignore fans of 194+ countries. No real reason, nothing. You know it would have been clearer and less insulting and annoying if they could have made a statement that "due to legal issues currently we are not able to extend our service" or something like that. But they have done the opposite with false promises...

Comment

We will see what they are going to announce or not to announce. Maybe we will hear more about the future of SG:C as well. We have to fight for the left-out countries, so I understand your disappointment.
                              I really couldn't care less at this point. I have them blocked on twitter and I'll gladly extend that notion come September 20.

I try to entertain the people on the "forum" because that one is free and it is better for SG related visual threads. I am not really good to post pictures on this forum. Oops.
                              They literally have a minimum size limit for pictures which is absolutely ridiculous. Nobody has a minimum size, a maximum size yes, but not a minimum size. That's ludicrous.

I love your image spam at the moment though.

By the way... They should put up the French and German audio version.
                              That's not going to happen. Considering Germany has access (which I think is mainly because the American military bases there) and they never gave them German audio. They would have done it already if they had the intention.

The only reason they have subtitles is because they are closed captions people with hearing issues, or they wouldn't even have those.

And you are absolutely right that they are behind with the merchandise shop. I imagined it would be nice if they could make some quality SG fridge magnets (like the different stargate, Jaffa symbols, Jaffa Guards, close up on a chevron etc.).
                              They are not behind, they are too late.

It is also interesting how they want to "manage" the comics as they were licensed by outer companies. Does it mean that their importance will be increased? I know that we talked about what is canon and what is non canon, so the comics still won't be part of it, just if the MGM starts to promote them so heavily then it can confuse the fans. Because then they could ask about novels and audiobooks as well... But really, you can't expect so many things for 20 dollars.
                              I'm fairly certain Fandemonium is not going to just hand them their collection of fan-books so that people can digitally read them for 20 dollars a year. That's like wanting to download the episodes.

Or American Mythology just handing them the comics. The license is MGM's but the material is theirs.

Same reason why Stargate Infinity isn't part of the library. MGM has no complete ownership of the content.

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                              They deliberately locked out everyone from all but 6 countries? I had a conversation with you awhile back where I said that they weren't able to do a full initial international roll-out and would obviously like to work on that (they deliberately kept themselves from making money?)...

And I'm telling you once again, that's a boatload of BS when it comes to Stargate Origins and the Dialing Home interviews, so by all means talk your way out of that one.

But I'll leave it @nivao to give you an answer that doesn't require mod-intervention.

And I'll say it again: why didn't they just come out and say it straight up instead of spending a whole year giving us crap like "we're working on it"? They have absolutely no contractual relationships they would have to figure out to tell us at least that. That announcement didn't even change anything, they still say they're working on it. Only this time they did add a vague notion about contractual relationships built up over the years. The word "contractual" even has square brackets around it, which means the actual quote was edited by the writer of that article.

Again, what are those contractual relationships that prevented them from releasing All Access in, say, the Netherlands and not its neighbour Germany, while Stargate is still being shown on channels in Germany but not in the Netherlands? Is some transparency really that much to ask for in 2018?

Not to mention the fact that existing All Access members are getting additional benefits for being Founding Members, but since we didn't (as in couldn't) sign up since the beginning we won't be able to get those same benefits. Is that fair? Especially since we have been there since the beginning.

Comment

And I'll say it again: why didn't they just come out and say it straight up instead of spending a whole year giving us crap like "we're working on it"?
                                Studios are not great about communicating the machinations of their business models to consumers. That usually gets to us when creative people who work for them talk about it.

You want them to comment on the individual deal they have in each and every market? I don't know a single studio that does that.

Germany came up last time, and if I remember correctly, it came out then that the show is primarily syndicated on the German version of the Sci Fi channel (I'm not going to spell it with y's). Obviously, whatever deal they have with them is non-exclusive.

I don't know what's going on in the Netherlands. When did they stop airing it? Was it after MGM released their digital service or before? If after and there was an exclusive contract, it's possible that it expired and was not renewed because MGM wants to open their digital service to that market. If before (and there was an exclusive contract), it's possible that whoever bought the rights to it decided that it wasn't attracting enough viewers for it to be worthwhile to keep airing, but that doesn't mean their exclusive rights have expired yet.

That said, contracts aren't the only issue. Investing in servers that can service individual markets is always a slow rollout. The servers cost money and advertising availability in new markets does as well, so companies exploit the larger markets first and then, once they are on firm footing, they move into additional markets. It's fiscally irresponsible to put forward the amount of company money that would be necessary for an all at once international rollout on a service that is untested.

Totally fair point. I don't disagree with this in the slightest.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                And I'm telling you once again, that's a boatload of BS when it comes to Stargate Origins and the Dialing Home interviews, so by all means talk your way out of that one.
                                They released Origins in international markets on other platforms after its release on their own digital platform. The Dialing Home interviews are an incentive for people to buy into their service, so they're reasonably not going to release those separately and instead want to save them as an exclusive bonus to incentivize people to buy in when their service becomes available of new markets. They're also not likely to make enough money on their own to release separately. People don't pay for interviews, they pay for content and expect interviews to be additional content. I appreciate that you may be willing to pay for them, but if too few people hold that position, it can cost them money to allow you to do so.

Comment

Working...
                                X