Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why low budget? And new stargate petition.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope those numbers are true.

A quick look at Alexa puts Stargatecommand.co as the 64,488th most popular site on the Internet.

That's not *bad*, but it's hard to believe there would be ~1m subscribers, let alone 700k between Aus and NZ, and AFAIK the show is only available on SGC there?

Unless of course that 700k is for the free 3 episodes preview? That would make more sense. Would love to see what the numbers are for later episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
      I just tried to guess how many registered users they could have. My profile ID is 5067900. Could it mean so many fans have registered already?
      No, it's your unique ID. You can't look at it as a number in a range.

StargateKyle posted these articles on SG:C :
      https://globenewswire.com/news-relea...18th-2018.html
      https://mediaweek.com.au/tv-demand-p...s-feb-24-2018/

Does this mean they had 603702 viewers in Australia and 90817 viewers in New Zealand? It is a very nice result.
      No, it doesn't, and if StargateKyle had bothered to look at the bottom of the image with the charts he too would have known that. Those numbers are the total result of Demand Expressions, which is the total audience demand being expressed for a title within a country.

Audience demand reflects the desire, engagement and consumption of the content, weighted by importance; so a stream/download is a higher expression of demand than a 'like/comment'.

What are Demand Expressions? by Parrot Analytics themselves for a better understanding of what you see in those charts (I looked it up because I didn't understand the numbers).
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Searching for more metrics...

The Google app store says the SC app's installs were in the 10-50K range. That's not a lot. Rated 3.5 out of 498 reviews:
        https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...Fan.GateSource

Same rating on iTunes with only 48 reviews:
        https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/star...p/id1244558566

Page views are dropping off in the GW forums:
        Episodes 1-3 in ranges from 1,019-1,713
        Episodes 4-5 in ranges from 841-888
        Episodes 6-7 in ranges from 469-525
        and, somehow, 8-10 have 151-230 views even though they have not yet aired XD

Comment

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
          Searching for more metrics...

The Google app store says the SC app's installs were in the 10-50K range. That's not a lot. Rated 3.5 out of 498 reviews:
          https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...Fan.GateSource
          Those numbers don't factor in the uninstalls. I installed the app in the beginning, but had to uninstall because it wreaked havoc on my phone (and I have a newer model Samsung so it should have been fine).

The drop in views seems natural, especially since episode 4 to 10 are all-access only so it would be weird if there were no drop.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Those numbers don't factor in the uninstalls.
            Ah. Also good to know.

The drop in views seems natural, especially since episode 4 to 10 are all-access only so it would be weird if there were no drop.
            All-access does seem to explain why episodes 1-3 have the highest page views. But, I would have expected 4-5 and 6-7 to have had more similar pageview results, rather than the noticeable drop between them.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
              All-access does seem to explain why episodes 1-3 have the highest page views. But, I would have expected 4-5 and 6-7 to have had more similar pageview results, rather than the noticeable drop between them.
              Oh yeah... right... of course... because they should have the same amount of audience.

Comment

So have only a few thousands fans registered? It is so sad... And still 90% of the world is locked out. I really don't understand theirs marketing strategies if they have got any at all. :/
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

So have only a few thousands fans registered? It is so sad...
                  I do think it's a bit more than a few thousands, but the profile ID's are just that, a unique key that's connected to you in their registered user database.

Comment

And still 90% of the world is locked out. I really don't understand theirs marketing strategies if they have got any at all. :/
                    That is a lot of voices we are missing in the discussions. It makes me sad because of the split it caused in the fandom and seeing so many people locked out and, understandably, upset. Fans who used to chat and help one another are now distanced.

the profile ID's are just that, a unique key that's connected to you in their registered user database.
                    I think so too. If you try to look up profiles by typing in numbers, such as 1, 0000001, 1000000, etc., nothing is returned.

Comment

Originally posted by tomaso88 View Post
                      For years mgm said they wouldn't make another stargate franchise film because the dvd market was going downhill. We finally have a new way to watch shows which is live streaming and they chose to create something so low budget that many of the fans can't even enjoy it. Not to mention with live streaming you reach stargate fans accross the world as we know there is a massive fan base outside of the USA and Canada. Honestly just doesn't make sense to me at all.

On a side note fans have recently started a petition for more stargate with Joseph mallozi backing it the Twitter page for it is Take a look at Stargate Now (@StargateNow): https://twitter.com/StargateNow
                      https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...nd-scifi-fans/
                      There are a lot of low-budget successes in both movies and TV series, so the budget is not necessarily the biggest problem. That being said, with a low budget they should have focused on the actors and the story, which I am not sure we can say they did. Some special effects are okay, but then at least try to stick with the known canon.

I see at least two other big problems:
                      - limited access, why only such a select country limitation? It's their own streaming service, could have made more of an effort to make it more globally available. I hope a future feature release will at least partially solve this problem. Live streaming doesn't necessarily constitutes a problem per se. As has been suggested if they make the streaming services more accessible or make a deal with a third party streaming service like Netflix with a more global distribution.
                      - continuity issues and target audience, or at least TPTB taking another direction with the story than genrally expected, because of course all these issues can be resolved with a deus ex machina ending. So, the story could have been more standalone and more easily accessible/believable to long-term stargate fans, who have closely followed Stargate before, because let's be honest, you can try to attract a new audience, but the largest group of subscribers you will attract will probably have seen and loved some form of stargate in the past.

I don't believe that an internet petition is going to change anything. I also don't believe that we need to be supportive of this initiative of MGM with SGO and their streaming service in its current form, see arguments above.
                      A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Almost every about this I dont like.

1) 10 Ten minute episodes? Who wants to watch for ten minutes at a time?

2) Sorry, but the budget (low) really comes across. Why bother.

3) I was really hoping for something good. Something that would put Stargate back on the map. Maybe even spawn new interest in continuing the older series(s). Honestly, my fear is this sets the franchise back even further. I found it nearly unwatchable, and I am a dedicated Stargate fan.

Comment

Originally posted by tomaso88 View Post
                          they chose to create something so low budget that many of the fans can't even enjoy it.
                          I don't care if it's low budget. I can still enjoy it. I care that it was low quality. Low budget =/= low quality. You can do some really good things even on a low budget (Cube springs to mind). And you can still make absolute crap with all the money in the world *cough* George Lucas *cough*

This could have been so so much better. But it's not because of the low budget. It's just that the low budget can't hide the poor writing behind pretty special effects and explosions.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amelius View Post
                            I don't care if it's low budget. I can still enjoy it. I care that it was low quality. Low budget =/= low quality. You can do some really good things even on a low budget (Cube springs to mind). And you can still make absolute crap with all the money in the world *cough* George Lucas *cough*
                            We'll have to disagree on Lucas but you are correct that low budget doesn't always mean low quality. There's a lot you can do with little budgets. Don't know Cube (though something tells me this was something David Hewlett was involved in. Am I correct?) but plenty of examples out there that proof a budget doesn't need to be in the millions to create something amazing.

I can't comment to Origins quality either, as I'm one of the fans who is in the non-desired group and therefore unable to watch it legally (and if I can't watch it legally, it doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned).

On that notion: is that a spoiler image from Origins in your signature? Or an image from Daniel's notes in SG-1?

Comment

(though something tells me this was something David Hewlett was involved in. Am I correct?)
                              Yes, and Nicole de Boer from Deep Space 9.

On that notion: is that a spoiler image from Origins in your signature? Or an image from Daniel's notes in SG-1?
                              Nope. That's my notebook from Ark of Truth.
                              sigpic

Comment

Yes, and Nicole de Boer from Deep Space 9.
                                Ah, then I do know what it is (though never watched it).

Nope. That's my notebook from Ark of Truth.
                                Too many notebooks around.

Comment

Working...
                                X