Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why low budget? And new stargate petition.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why low budget? And new stargate petition.

For years mgm said they wouldn't make another stargate franchise film because the dvd market was going downhill. We finally have a new way to watch shows which is live streaming and they chose to create something so low budget that many of the fans can't even enjoy it. Not to mention with live streaming you reach stargate fans accross the world as we know there is a massive fan base outside of the USA and Canada. Honestly just doesn't make sense to me at all.

On a side note fans have recently started a petition for more stargate with Joseph mallozi backing it the Twitter page for it is Take a look at Stargate Now (@StargateNow): https://twitter.com/StargateNow
    https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2018/02/23/february-23-2018-a-call-to-all-stargate-dark-matter-and-scifi-fans/

Well, the reason for the low budget is obvious. MGM is still recovering from bankruptcy and apparently the money isn't quite there at the moment. They are scared to make big blind investments without knowing if the audience is there. Stargate Origins is a way to gauge that audience.

But Joseph Mallozzi is right. Now, with Stargate Origins currently airing, is the time to show MGM that the audience is there. Those of us Stargate fans who are in the US or 5 other countries that SGO is available in, can of course show their presence by buying the show, but there are other ways of course. Maybe not a petition (when do those ever work?) but maybe something better. I hope Mallozzi & co. have a good plan.

Comment

I am a bit worried that they won't order any SG series at the end. I have just made a quick math in the other thread as well. If the SG:O budget was around 1 million dollar or even less, then it means they need at least 50 000 paying subscribers. I just have a bad feeling that what if we haven't riched that critical number of viewers?

Honestly, if they order a spin-off then maybe they should order only 6-10 episodes. Then there would be no reason to make bottle episodes or unnecessarry standalones, just hard-core story telling. And then MGM wouldn't rish too much money, while we could see a mini-series with a bigger budget what could be like the pilot for a new SG show. This could be a safe option without envolving any other streaming company.

Just a spin-off really needs to be established correctly. I don't want to rush it, because this could be the last chance for the SG universe to revive. So if any new writers or old writers like Brad Wright need a few months to develop it, then the fandom should be patiently wait until the premier in 2019.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I am sure there will be enough people willing to play for SG:O to make it worth it for MGM. There are 6 counties people can watch it in and I think there is a fair amount of them willing to pay for something that is labeled with "Stargate" without a second thought, just because it's SG
        You would only need like 10.000 people in each country to have more than that budget in again

Comment

To be honest I hope that it doesn't succeed. Not that I don't want more Stargate, but this streaming service, while being a short term way of getting a little of the money MGM desperately needs is unsustainable. Imagine if every franchise had one of these streaming sites and removed their shows from Netflix and Amazon and the others. People wouldn't have enough money to be a part of all of them and ultimately everyone loses out. I don't support it with Star Trek and CBS All Access either... But I have the benefit of being in the UK so it comes onto our Netflix instead.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I just tried to guess how many registered users they could have. My profile ID is 5067900. Could it mean so many fans have registered already? Because if they start the counting from 1000000 then it would still mean 4 million. I doubt that they have reached this number since the start of Stargate : Command. They would have told us it in the news if the site could become so popular. It is not impossible from 7+ billion people, but it is unlikely.

Even the StargateNow has gained only a few thousand twitter followers in 3 days, while I expected that we could reach easily the 100 000 then later maybe the 1 million followers. Maybe we should ask a few famous Youtuber/Instagram celebs to help us to gain more people. Haha. Just it is sad while somebody has got millions of followers, then our own little Stargate franchise is not interesting to the new generation who born in 2000 and later.

Sometimes I wish a millionaire SG fan (like a Hollywood star or an oil sheikh) could buy the franchise and invest into it. But such miracles don't happen in show business. :/
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I think it is possible they could have so many fans already.

But you mentioned a core problem, we are getting too old slowly to be interesting for the markets, so maybe MGM is just testing with SG:O if Stargate can work nowadays still and get younger people t watch it as well. If it does not work well, they at least have not lost too much if the budget is low and it is a generation thing that everything new and cool is being streamed instead of being simply to TV

Comment

Well. As long as they don't give us the "younger and edgier SG-1". Wait a second... Maybe Stargate : Origins just did it. Okay, I am just joking. I am not overly happy about the humor, the gate tech, but it is still enjoyable.

And what is important that even a little glimpse on the gate and the DHD revived the fanboy within me again. Honestly I have never been so excited about the Stargate in the last few years then these past days. I watched a few SG-1 and Atlantis episodes and I realized how much I still love Stargate and what it meant for me in the last 20 years. So hopefully we will get some positive news shortly.

About the generation problem... If something is good and entertaining, then the news will spread among the fans. The best way could have been the Stargate : Worlds, because that game could have brought new viewers from the younger generations while they could have showed such locations and storylines what they couldn't afford in the series.

I have still kept these quotes in my signature :
                If you remember this is what Weir said in Rising. But is still actual. If they get more chances then I don't want to see any bottle episodes and unnecessary wasted stand alones. I just want to see pure storytelling and that they threat every episode like a season finale, because any episode could be the last forever.

This is what Mitchell said in "200". And it is true. I know it is very hard to please everyone and to find the right balance within discovery, fight, drama and comedy etc. But this whole universe is so rich and there are so many opportunities than it would be such a shame to close it back again after they raised our hopes.

Comment

MGM profits:
                  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-losses-984521

The "out of bankruptcy" argument will not work here.
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Well it is still pathetic in comparsion that Netflix makes new season for 6 billion dollar per year... So the safest way would be to sell the franchise to them or to make the next SG show(s) / movie(s) / mini series in co-production.

By the way. I don't mind low budget things. Honestly if some SG characters would play poker cards for 90 minutes and talk about the galaxy, I would still watch it. Stargate : Origins is not bad, but it could have been much better too. I tried to explain on the Stargate : COmmand forum as well, that it feels like it is too rushed. They could have shot more dialogues and simply slow down. If 2-3-4 charcters talk longer in a scene that won't increase the budget. I am not pushing CGI monsters ro scenes in a web series, but I would have expected to use the right wormhole and the right gate related sound effects. But the most important is still the story. The inappropriate jokes are weird for me. You know they cut out Carter's introduction in the Final Cut, but then here the Nazis can touch Catherine and make offers for her? So what happened? This is not sexy, not cool, it is odd for me. SG was never directly about dirty jokes, so I didn't know how could the MGM film such things. But as I said above, I try to appreciate Stargate : Origins if this is the necessary "bad" to get a fourth BW/RCC series.
                    Last edited by Platschu; 25 February 2018, 04:50 AM.

Comment

I sincerely hope they won't be adamant at keeping stargatecommand. Fragmenting the market isn't the way to go to make money, even if 100% of what you manage to make goes directly to you.

Not much choice to partner with large companies (like Netflix) or broadcasters (please not the horrible SyFy again) to make it viable. Stargate alone can never be attractive enough to sustain itself if it forces people to spend on a new platform which offers only that.

Comment

If I were a guessing man, the idea behind SGC was to bring in a few $ to offset some of the cost of producing a web series (SGO), and mitigating any risk should the show fail.

Based on viewership and acclaim, they could then shop the franchise to production companies and investors, showing that despite the most recent TV being a financial failure, there's a profit potential with SG TV shows. Should SGO's results fail to meet expectations and attract partners for a new show, then MGM haven't really lost anything financially.

That's my guesstimate anyway.

Now all we need is success and acclaim for SGO, which, right now, I'm not convinced by.

Comment

Originally posted by Langley_forum View Post
                          Now all we need is success and acclaim for SGO, which, right now, I'm not convinced by.
                          It's fairly low-budget, so it doesn't need to be a HUGE success to justify it's production.

Comment

StargateKyle posted these articles on SG:C :
                            https://globenewswire.com/news-relea...18th-2018.html
                            https://mediaweek.com.au/tv-demand-p...s-feb-24-2018/

Does this mean they had 603702 viewers in Australia and 90817 viewers in New Zealand? It is a very nice result.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                              StargateKyle posted these articles on SG:C :
                              https://globenewswire.com/news-relea...18th-2018.html
                              https://mediaweek.com.au/tv-demand-p...s-feb-24-2018/

Does this mean they had 603702 viewers in Australia and 90817 viewers in New Zealand? It is a very nice result.
                              I was not one of them.
                              Mathematically, half a million Aussies does make sense, we have recently gone to 4G and unlimited broadband models of internet streaming, while at the same time cracking down HARD on illegal streaming in terms of banning access to such....... "services".
                              sigpic
                              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                              X