Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear GateWorld, stop spoiling Stargate Origins

Dear Darren,

could you please refrain from using spoilery images when posting articles for Stargate Origins.

What's wrong with using generic images like the poster or the original teaser image?
    Or images used in the teaser and the trailer if you must be diverse.

It's no fun being locked out of watching Stargate Origins, but then to have to see the images, I've been trying to avoid as much as possible thrown in my face every time I open Gateworld, is putting me off more than you can imagine.

Please be kind to the whole of the fanbase -- there are more than 6 countries in this fanbase.

It's bad enough I have to click really fast on the Stargate Command website to avoid getting those huge banners which spoil even more to get to my profile page (so I can continue posting about my Proper Stargate Rewatch), but to then see the same images pop up here, makes that whole "trying to remain spoiler-free" into an impossible task.

I can't imagine I'm the only one bothered by it, but if I'm being an inconvenience, at least I have spoken my peace.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Thanks for the feedback, FH. Hopefully GW's track record over 18 years demonstrates that we take the issue of spoilers seriously and attempt to follow a policy that is fair and reasonable (and historically I think rather on the conservative side).

I've also learned over the years that what is considered spoilery by one person isn't to another. Where to draw the line is a bit of a grey area, and your mileage may vary from our decisions.

As far as the use of images go, we attempt to find pictures that illustrate individual episodes well without giving away serious plot points. The shot of a single character (on the home page now), for instance, doesn't offer enough context to spoil the story. But there is enough value in (1) differentiating Episode 4 from Episode 1 in the minds of viewers currently watching weekly, and also (2) diversifying the art that appears on the GW home page and social media posts, that we'll use this newer imagery rather than re-using the same shots of Catherine over and over again for 6 months.

In general we follow the rule that if something appears in an official teaser or trailer, it's fair game to use it without spoiler warnings. Studios tend to avoid putting spoilers in these vids, or concealing them with insufficient context (e.g. the shots of the two new characters at the end of the Origins trailer). (Of course we all know how good Syfy was at spoiling fourth-act plot points in its own on-air teasers!)

Origins is also a different animal because its release doesn't conform to the weekly television broadcasts we are accustomed to. Because Eps 1-3 are available for free worldwide, part of our policy is that -- after a few days have gone by -- details and imagery from those episodes are now fair game. (Thus we ran an SGO-film comparison piece, but only after it'd been out for six days.)

That may not be awesome if you're waiting to watch any of Origins until after the whole thing is available to you. That's totally understandable. But as a site that covers this franchise day-to-day and week-to-week, we have to keep up with the studio's release strategy. Ultimately that's what it comes down to. If they released Origins as an all-at-once movie, we might not splash images from the middle or the end of it across the home page. But in a couple of weeks the "product" that we will have to talk about isn't Stargate Origins as a single entity, but rather "Episode 10."

It's a tough balance on my end. We'll keep working to try and play it conservative for the benefit of the maximum number of readers.

~Darren

Comment

A reasonable complaint, followed by a reasonable response. Will wonders never cease? It's like GateWorld of olde
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I haven't watched any Stargate Origins episodes. I'm waiting for other info concerning the franchise.

Comment

I just have my login go straight to the forum, I never see any of the news articles unless someone creates a thread for them.
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Okay, fair enough... Thanks for the response.

@Gatefan

At home, I go straight to the forum, but logging at work, I always start at the home page.
            And the articles also appear on my Facebook timeline, and on twitter because someone else liked them. And I can't just go around muting everyone -- I already unfollowed all Stargate related communities to try to avoid spoilers and spoilery images but obviously that's not working so well.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              Okay, fair enough... Thanks for the response.

@Gatefan

At home, I go straight to the forum, but logging at work, I always start at the home page.
              And the articles also appear on my Facebook timeline, and on twitter because someone else liked them. And I can't just go around muting everyone -- I already unfollowed all Stargate related communities to try to avoid spoilers and spoilery images but obviously that's not working so well.
              Yeah, I sorta figured some of you problem would be on a open computer.
              sigpic

Comment

To all: let the Mods know if anyone posts untagged spoilers here on the forum.The report feature is the best and easiest way to do that.

Use your Ignore list if others aren't breaking rules BUT you find their posts or attitude annoying.
                (Personal issues aren't welcome on the threads, so the Ignore List can be a wonderful feature.,if used correctly...)

Obviously the flip answer would be to just block anyone and everywhere and unblock once you can see what was spoiled with your own eyes,but it's not that easy,unless you and other spoilerphobes abandon the internet!

Twitter : you can mute words as well as users/sites via your settings/controls.Go in via Privacy and settings and Account: On the left you'll see a load of options.

Choose from the selection here Mute words on Twitter..JPG
                Save your settings each time.

Facebook: Via your settings you can block pages,notifications,etc.You can mute accounts there too.

I don't know if other social sites like Tumblr ,Instagram etc have ways to block or mute users/posts etc.Anyone know for sure? Post if you can advise spoiler-avoiders.
                The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  Twitter : you can mute words as well as users/sites via your settings/controls.Go in via Privacy and settings and Account: On the left you'll see a load of options.
                  I was about to throw that rock I'm currently trying to reside under, but this actually is news to me. I'll try that method. Thanks.

Nevertheless, I've been spoiled to kingdom come anyway, and I'm starting to feel quite a dislike for anything stargate too.

Comment

LOL @ the rocks!

You're very welcome to the tip.It blocked "origins","stargate origins" and other tested words,phrases and abbreviations.I forgot to try the # symbol in front of some words but it muted them anyway.

Now all I have to do is go back and un-mute it all....

I know how you feel about spoilers.Mods need to read everything in sight where there's a dispute or a big topic so I had Chuck,BSG,Supernatural,Gotham etc spoiled so much it almost made me reach for a rock too a few times!
                    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

I can add another tip (thank you Bagpuss for planting the seed of the idea) for blocking images, though it has flaws (obviously).

How To Block Images From A Website (Firefox & Chrome)

If, like me, you're a regular visitor (albeit for me, not for long anymore) of the Stargate Command webpage, you'll notice you are always logged out (after having closed your browser of shut off your computer) and therefore always end up on their home page after logging in.

If you use Firefox or Chrome, just follow the above link to block all images -- but when I say all images, I literally mean, all images cause you block all images from TopFan (the people behind the template of the website and app). This means, every icon and banner.

Edit: Internet Explorer 10 is also included in the article above.

It doesn't block the images on the message feed so if you don't want to get spoiled that way, you have to manually put people on ignore. However, unlike over here on Gateworld, your profile doesn't keep track of the people you have put on ignore so should you forget who you ignored in the first place, there's no way to un-ignore them for that also has to be done manually (search the person, go to their profile and stop ignoring).

Comment

@Bagpuss

Thank you very much for the block-images tip.

I just did the ultimate test on Stargate Command. I logged out and closed by browser. I clicked the site back open and all images are still set to block.
                        If only I had thought of this much earlier.

Comment

Baggie be a helpful Pommy git yo
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X