Milky Way galaxy in 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milky Way galaxy in 2020

Okay, this one won't be a real "fan fiction", I just tried to imagine how would I establish a new SG based series in the Milky Way without a reboot.

Stargate : Academy

The defense of SGC has fallen. An unknown attacker has sent a bomb what caused a terrible explosion. The whole base is being rebuilt (new studio) or the gate is moved to a new base (they were planning a Moon base anyway and they could travel with the rings and ships between Earth and the Moon). Homeworld Security will begin to construct their own jumper-type ships in Area 51 what should be able to fly through the stargates as discovery or tactical units. I imagined like a spherical unit from Jurassic World. They could have a new hangar in an upper level at the new SGC and they would use the rocket silo to fly into the stargate which can now be tilted into horizontal position too (like the Ashen gate). This new type of discovery units would be needed because the galaxy's peace after the defeat ofthe Goa'uld and the Ori crusade is gradually abolished as new power clusters and interests take control.

1. One group would begin to remove and install the stargates into underwater worlds so they can expel unkown visitors and keep these worlds just for themselves. This group could be formed by Omoroca's race (from Fire and Water), who would have allied themselves with Watergate's aliens.

2. The second group is also trying to make it impossible for others to use their own stargates, so they are moving them to space. They would be the Serrakin race and some other smaller space travelling races. Unfortunately they meet and start to trade with the Aschen, who are quite hostile towards Earth. SGC most convince the Serrakins to avoid any further contact with the Ashens and be prepared they could be invaded by other hostile races any time.

3. The third group could be the Lucian Alliance. I was never a big fan of this group in SG-1 season 9-10, but we could hear more about the foundations and what have they lost after they tried to occupy Destiny. Maybe they could make an alliance with the rouge NID guy or the main Op-Core storyline of the Stargate : Worlds could start here as well.

4. The fourth and most important is the Free Jaffa Nation, which has recently been split into several alliances of planets. While we might believe that the hate against Goa'uld and common past would bring them together, they still carry many emotional injuries from the past. Most importantly, some Jaffa Guards are NOT willing to take tretonin, because they want to maintain the larva Goa'ulds which gave them a longer life. Some of them would still hate the Tok'ra too.

5. Some smaller Goa'uld could also return who are using a new host race which are immune to symbionte poisons. They try to blackmail and weaken the Jaffa Nation with political attacks.

6. The next force could be like an invisible battlefield. It turns out that the Rhee'tou race has began to attack the Jaffa Nation, so the Sodan Jaffas started to hunt them down with their transphase technology. Maybe some Goa'uld Ashrak could provocate this conflict. Maybe the ninth chevron of the stargate could be suitable for stargates to other phase / dimensions. It seems to be a waste of time and energy that every gate has got it while they can dial only to Destiny what is not even in our galaxy anymore. Maybe some gates could be hided in other phases, so that is the reason why nobody could dial those planets.

7. The evil Asgard would fly back from Pegasus galaxy and they try to take over the Protected Planets. Nobody knows what they really want (to find their genetic ancestor or some important part of our Asgard database).

But there are so many creative way to introduce new hostile and friendly races (like the replicator destroying beam from Dakara or the Avengers virus could make a few angry and aware of the presence of other lifeforms). Maybe everyone could fight for a stargate planting ship what automatically flew back from an other galaxy to a long abadonned Ancient planet.

And who knows? Maybe there would be a new stargate from a previously unknown stargate network with a message, so the new heroes would be invited to help them or to walk into a deadly trap in a galaxy far away...

But anyway back the main characters. The main base could be like a diplomatic school type scenario, where our old heroes educate the younger generations who would try to establish some peace treaties within the galaxy. Our old heroes would return only occasionally. Jack and Sam are married with two children in Washington. Carter returns to active duty only after the fall of the SGC. Teal'c became a leader and a grandfather now. Daniel and Vala could have a 8-10 years old child too.

So I imagined this new and improved Milky Way like a new space Game of Thrones / Harry Potter / Babylon 5 combination, where we would follow a young team who would try to establish a peace treaty in this chaotic situation. New and old races, alliances, enemies, lots of gate related explorations etc.
    Last edited by Platschu; 27 February 2018, 04:07 AM.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Sounds like an interesting premise. You got any characters to go with it? What are the new races and enemies you imagine?

sigpic
    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Yay!

Time the Aschen grew into a main villain.

Comment

Well guys, I won't write a fan fiction, I just have a few ideas. I wish I could work as a creative consultant for a new SG show, because I am better at creating story elements than real scripts.

If you check the SG:U folder, I have written down how I imagined to save the DEstiny just with the current SG technologies and the active combination of gate systems:
        https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...ead-supergates

I always tried to find out intelligent stories which reflects some current problems in an SG environment. I also try to connect earlier established SG episodes. So follow me into my SG mind...

We know that the Ori gained power from its followers' faith. But what do we know about the Ancients? It would be a great revelation that they are not that innocent at all. Ancients are technocrats, so they strongly believe in free will and technology. What if the Ancients gain energy by using the stargates? That would be a plot twist that they haven't planted gates everywhere in the galaxy just because they were explorers, but they actively wanted the local minor races to use the gates. There is no logic behind that they would build a network of stargates, but they never ever talk to the local races. So what have they gained with it? Why is it good for them? That could explain it. Imagine the MW like an apple and the more wormholes opens the more they can consume. And who knows? Maybe that is the reason an unknown race attacked them with a biological weapon to wipe them out in the first place what forced them to flee to the Pegasus galaxy.

We know nothing yet about the creation of the Goa'uld Systemlords. I am guessing they were meant to guard one solar system, but then it was not enough and they wanted more and more and more slaves and obviosly on more and more planets. As far as I have heard the Stargate : Worlds game spoilers the
        Spoiler:
        Furlings were responsible for the Goa'uld Systemlords.
        But we know nothing why the Ancients haven't interfered. And now it will be discovered the main reason is gate system. It was worth of letting the Goa'uld fight against each other, if they nonstoply dialed each other.

It would be also an interesting twist that some of the Ancient technology uses life force. It could be revealed that it must be a connection to the Iratus bugs as this group of Ancients were already "mind controlled or infected". So that could explain why Selmak died shortly after the Dakara weapon was used or when the force field was activated against Svarog in season 5 (when the NID agents died).

But anyway the reformed MW story could start with that step that the evil Asgard returns to the MW. They activate a new galaxy sized weapon, which make all the hyperspace windows unstable. So instead of destroying stargates (like Atlantis season 5) this new alien technology don't let hyperspace / FTL / whatever to open. Try to imagine that little chaos, when no X303 or no Ha'taks can fly through hyperspace and everybody is forced to use the gate systems. And while the hostile group and alliances blame each other and later the newly discovered evil Asgards, ( the Vanirs), but nobody thought of such things that what if the Ancients activated this weapon, so everybody must return to the gate system again, so they could get even more power on the ascended plain.

So basically I would like to see more gate related adventures and that could be a creative way how to force everyone to do it. My other idea or explanation was that Atlantis returned to Earth with the Wormhole Drive in seson 5. What nobody ever activated in this universe for ages. Unfortunately this type of hyperspace technology activates a long term beacon or signal which can be felt galaxies away. The signal activates and calls a ship in an other galaxy. Years will pass until this alien ship - an Ancient gate planting ship - returns to the last known location of Atlantis: what is Earth. (Atlantis could flew back until that time to the Pegasus). Then they would find out that ship is hostile, it would attack and almost completly destroy the SGC. It could also activate the same weapon what would force everyone to return to the gate system instead of building large ships. And that is the main reason that SGC/Home World security would start to develop new puddler jumper type ships etc.

Or if they could afford a Universe crossover then even the automated robot ships could return / follow the returned Destiny / gate planting ship, but they would automatically start to attack every ships in every solar system, so the result would be the same that the alliances return to gate travelling. This idea could only work if the hostile drone ships only attack other ships, but they don't invade planets. It must be a programing glitch, but that could be also explained later.

Anyway this would be the background story for a new and updated Milky Way galaxy. I would like to see a soft-reboot like a new status quo in our galaxy. 10-15 years have passed since the Continuum, so these changes would be believable and acceptable. And while it could be an in-canon series as it builds strongly on the roots of SG-1/Atlantis/Universe, it could be also a soft reboot at the same time.

The problem is with the SG universe, that how could you introduce a new base or a new race? Everybody could go home every day. Technically every race could dial in every other planet. So how could you convince the audience that our heroes have to fight for that base where they live their daily life. I hope you can follow me. So if we establish a new MW based spinoff, then why would the heroes go to Alpha Site / Dakara / Destiny / Atlantis, if they could return any time to SGC? So that is the reason I said that SGC should fall or temporarily should not be reachable. Maybe the whole Earth planet could escape it a transphase (like in season 10), so this hostile ship or whatever threat wouldn't find them anymore, but it would be a ripoff from the Babylon 5 : Crusade. Since we lost the SGC set (as they have repainted it and used in the pilot of Universe) and even if they could remake it then it would need some modification.

Then an other idea showed up in my mind. What if a gate planting Ancient ship returns to the MW for whatever reason, but the last stargate would be a completly new one on the board what noone has seen before. They would be an interesting start who would dare to go through it into a new galaxy. Maybe some aliens could leave a message there that they ask the help of the MW races or our new heroes. But this option could be used if they want to place the fourth series in a new galaxy with a new network. And who knows who lives in that galaxy? Is it a trap or are they friendly there? Or if there is no new stargate on the board then I am sure the ship would be really valuable for everyone to fight for it as it is essential to create new MW gates.

Talking about gates. What if a civiliazation could copy the technology of Ori beachhead remnants or the even bigger supergates. That could also change the balance in the Milky Way, because then they could start the build a network of supergates within the galaxy. So even if the bigger ships still can't open hyperspace windows, but they could travel and fight against each other through the supergates. The only reason I was not so proud of this idea, because it really reminded me to the jump gates in Babylon 5.

Or there could be an alien race which lives in the hyperspace and they destroy everyone who enters blablablab....

It would be also nice to have a little more political or ethical questions in the Stargate:
        - like humanoid races vs. non humanoid races - talking about racism or interrace relationships (like at the Serrakins or Unas)
        - like talking about a philosophical way how the evolution of a new galactic civilization depends on the neighbourhood civilizations.
        - like talking about closing of the gate and let your race or civilizations develop by itself or will it evolve through connection of other civilizations? (This was also well written in Star Trek : Discovery, because it could reflect to the current migration crisis in Europe. The right side national "Klingon" or the liberal "Federation". So it would be nice to see something similar moral questions in Stargate too. But anyway it is off here.)

Back to the SG-1. I belive they would be disbanded, but after the tragedy / attack of the SGC they could return. That would explain what have they done in the last 10 years:
        - Mitchell has gone with Odussey to rescue the Destiny
        - Sam and Jack are married with an 8 and 10 years old children. Jack retired from Homeworld Security, while Carter occasionally visit the "Academy" to train some scientist students
        - Vala and Daniel are still in relationship and they have got one child. They are living offworld. Daniel still tries to save the universe or to establish a new coalition of alien races, while Vala is Vala. She loves souvenirs.
        - Teal'c became a grandfather and he is one of the Leader of the Free Jaffa State.

Character wise I don't know yet. I would like to see new heroes, new aliens who lives on this planet where their "academy" is. Then they would go for diplomatic adventures while they try to discover the horrible secrets of their schools etc. What would be important that some of them are from Earth, but most of them are from different planets and races, so they won't go back to Earth all the time. I don't want to rush the brainstorming, because establish charcters and later building stories around them need time and careful planning.

Anyway that was a mega post, hopefully I haven't bored anyone and maybe I will continue it later.
        Last edited by Platschu; 27 February 2018, 04:57 AM.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Just 2 additional beans to all the food for thought:

1) The Ancients are free-marketers: they believe the increased commerce and cultural exchange enabled by the Gates will accelerate everybody's tech, well-being, and path to Ascension, thereby swelling not the energy allowance of the higher planes, but their knowledge, numbers and diversity. Also, they keep the bigger races from using their FTL fleets to stifle the rest.

2) An easy way to distupt the Milky Way's status quo is for someone to devise yet another clever gate-network-based virus or worm to accomplish whatever ends (saintly or evil), only to have the whole scheme backfire in a major messy way: the gate-network status-reporting, error-correcting, stellar-drift-balancing function gets utterly broken, reverting the Gates to their primitive role of short-range travel enablers, and stranding most everyone many Jumps away from Home, across who knows what kind of unfriendly territory. Make any FTL ships unavailable or busy elsewhere, and an entire new "landscape" is created, with plenty of room for "return home", "reunite", "find new friends", "discovery", "growth", "fight adversity"... etc, stories to develop.

2b) Maybe have some major battle (or other not-too-unlikely event) alter Subspace itself in a way that disallows long-range Gating, comms, or FTL travel. Make it temporary, though not too short-lived. A decade should be enough for several seasons.
          Last edited by plumber; 25 February 2018, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I really appriciate your ideas.

1. If you watched the Babylon 5, there are two Ancient type race : the Vorlons and the Shadows. Both of them represent two different phillosophy. One of them teached the younger races, while other one started conflicts between them to accelarate the evolution of galactic civilizations. I could accept your arguement, but if Ancients would have helped other races to reach Ascension, then they would actively form the fate of the galaxy. It sounds really selfish that they are on a higher level of existence, but they let everyone kill each others on material level. So I believe something is missing here about their true intentions. Free will or not, if you don't help someone then you are not better. And honestly why would share their ascended realm with anyone?

2. Well, I don't want to restrict the gates like they did in Universe. Try to imagine you want to go from A to B, but then you have use 4-5-6 other planets in the middle. So this part of your idea wouldn't work, I am afraid.

What I wanted to explain that I don't want to stop directly the gate network (like the modified Avengers), I want to stop hyperspace windows, so the galactic civilizations and races should prefer the gates again. This whole situation would just last only for a few "seasons" as you said.

Honestly I should rewatch the whole SG-1 series, because I don't remember so many things correctly.

It is hard to establish a new spinoff in the Milky Way, because
            - you have to explain what happened to Earth (and SGC), and also explain what they have done in the last few years, what happened to our SG-1 heroes
            - you have to maintain the connection to Earth because of the viewers and if you want to introduce new Earth based characters
            - if they create a new base somewhere, they have to explain why is that place unique in the system, why is it important for the heroes, why is it important to the status quo
            - if you start a new base then why the heroes would not go back to Earth day by day at the end of the missions
            - if the new base can be a target from space, can it be visited and attacked by spaceships or not
            - if the new base had a mystery, so you can start new storylines

So a new base could be anything. I am just a fan, I just try to brainstorm a few scenarios. A new base could be a Jaffa Parliament (not necesseraily on Dakara), a newly revealed Ancient or any other alien outpost, or maybe a spaceship what is landed on a planet. But we still have to explain why is it important to Earth, our heroes and obviously for the galaxy.

Other. I would like to see a few new gate related technologies:

1. Maybe there could be a secret AI character which lives in the DHD. Maybe I have watched to much Altered Carbon. But it could be funny that this AI character could greet the travellers, but he couldn't leave the near of stargates. Maybe he could be hostile or annoying occiasionally. And later they would develop his past and intentions. Could he/she be a punished Ancient? Or is he a "digitally ascended" Ancient? What if he gets a robotic body etc.? Why was this safety protocoll not activated before? What is the distance between DHDs and Stargate where they can still communicate with each other? Would it work if the DHD is on a planet, but the gate is in the space?

2. There would be some "master gates" in the system. Such gates which always gain priority like a local "group leader". They could introduce a new civilization which developed the short-ranged gate technology just for themselves, so their planet is full stargates, but only the "master gate" can dial other planets. So basically the civilization would use it for daily travels between continents or countries. But somehow there would be some glitch and incoming wormholes could be opened to this type of gates. The main advantage would be that our heroes could visit different places on the same planet. Like calling Chulak gate I/a (the master gate), but there would be gate I/b, I/c at the different locations. Maybe those gates would be made from different material and they could be destroyed much easier etc.

3. There would new type of puddle jumper type "gateships" what they would develop in Area 51. That would be logical as Atlantis has spent a few years at home before flying back to Pegasus, while they have to develop such units what could replace the lost puddle jumpers. Some of these new ships would be used for military reasons, so it could make a forcefield around itself. That could be useful to start stories when the hostile alien worlds are underwater or in space or maybe there would be some biological hazards (instects, poison, spores in the air). Obviously our enemies would also develop such vehicles, because even Hammond used one in the 3x01 what could fly through the gate.

4. Talking about forcefields. If not the new jumpers make it then it could be introduce it as a safety feature of the stargate. There would be a new technology which allows to create a little dome type shield around the stargate and the DHD. Like a mini version of such energy shields what we could see in the First Commandment or Torment of Tantalus. They could even clear the air in the Lost City, so maybe the Ancients have built in such safety protocoll to not kill the traveller on the other side. Or maybe a new type of MALP with upgraded Asgard technology could make such forcefields. It could be used also as a weapon to push away enemies around the gate etc.

5. It would be nice to find a function for chevron 8 and 9. As I wrote it before it sound a waste that they build a network and all the gates have got an 9th chevron (except some pretty bad Atlantis CGI scenes, where they have made only 8... ). So why would they build this function in, if they can call only the Destiny with it? They are not even in our galaxy! It is not logical. I doubt that they wanted to make such a wormhole which destroys the original location because of the energy needs. So it would be nice to develop the possibility that maybe the order was still wrong or maybe there are much more 8-9 chevron addresses in the galaxy. So if we could keep the master gate / local stargate theory, then it would be nice to use to write stories about it how could we reach those gates. So A-B-C-D-E-F, the first six glyphs would be still the location and G is the point of origin, but what if you put a 9th chevron between the F and G. So A-B-C-D-E-F- H - G, were H is the newly discovered minor locations within the same planet. So every planet could have a potential 39 mini gates and maybe that could be a key to "transfer" the hostile alien attacks from the SGC in the future to a harmless location (space or Moon etc.). I hope you can follow me. So the address would be 8 chevron now, but they would not dial an other network in an other galaxy, just they would call a smaller gate in that particular local group. Maybe somebody studied the Tollan technology and that how the story starts... It could be also used maybe to revisit such older locations where they would plant or discover a new stargate, so we could revisit that planet or location in a different environment. But it would also mean that they have to build new DHDs or the gateships must have an inbuilt dialer console.

6. Is transport beaming allowed through the gate? I haven't seen the season 10 mid-season finale for years now, but if I remember well it has introduced a new hidden group of stargates. That could be also a good starting point for some adventures to visit those worlds. And maybe I am wrong, but I believe there was some coloumn in front of the gate, what opened a new type of travelling through an established wormhole. Maybe it would be worth studying it.

7. But even the Nox or the Furlings could have hided some planets from the Goa'uld. The Nox even has got an Atlantis type ship, so maybe there is a connection there. Even the Nox could maintain the Academy as a neutral area for negotiations. Maybe they want to forge a new alliance between the biggest races. The only reason I am worried about this direction that we don't want to copy the Federation from the Star Trek.

8. Then we have some the other realities. Honestly I don't want to change the SG show into Sliders or a time travelling series...

9. And what about trans phase gates? What if the Nox, the Sodan, the Tollan (RIP), the Rhee'tou, some Ashraks (and Nirrti RIP) could also find some worlds where the gates are hided with transphase technology. Maybe some gates would have such energy shields what can be passed through with the right technology. That could also introduce a new storyline and maybe some new functions for the 9th chevron / DHDs etc.

10. Could a gate change the size of the traveller? Okay, I don't want to see Ant-Man in the SG, but a similar story could be interesting in an episode. I always wanted to see a giant Iratus bug in an Atlantis stroy, so who knows? Such gate malfunction could happen in Pegasus too... By the way I definately would like to see a story how the Ancients meet with the Iratus bugs and how this group of explorers became the first Wraiths and technically the origins of the whole race. This story could explain why every Queen were played by the same actess, because she was literally a female Ancient who turned to be a Wraith and every Wraith are her descendants.

11. They should discover a technology what could swap the outgoing wormhole at the entrance side. That would be essential if we would like to use the supergates-universe type stargates to rescue the Destiny (see the link above). So maybe they go through the normal stargate, then they phone back and they activate a robot / energy resource / unknown alien device at the entrance site which would change the wormhole to a supergate or from supergate to normal gate. That would be essential if they want to go after the Destiny through the gatenetwork with the help of Avengers 3.0.

12. The McKay-Carter Gatebridge should be rebuilt as well. That was the best gate related idea ever from Martin Gero. This travelling in gate memory could be also used in such stories where the "master gate" has got a malfunction and then it will skip to a "sub gate" where the wormhole will be established.

These new type of gates and functions could be introduced in a new galaxy with a new gate network. The universe is infinite. So anyway that was my gate related little brainstorming for today.
            Last edited by Platschu; 27 February 2018, 04:59 AM.

Comment

# Obviously the Ancients were way too optimistic back in the day. Or perhaps they are too "scientifically detached" to intervene. Anubis taught them the hard way to avoid helping potential Ascension candidates. Most likely their Prime Directive is now "Do nothing lest you make things worse as always!".

# A to G thru B, C, D, E, F is exactly my point, to subtly yet significantly alter the Milky Way scenario. As things stand now, constraint-less Gating negates neighborhood, geography and even history, making all Gates topologically the same spot, and too easy routing around trouble places. Hence the problems you get when trying to make people NOT be able to Gate home at the end of the day, or enemies NOT able to just Dial wherever they want to attack.

Gating around would still be possible and fairly quick with a crippled Gate Network, provided nobody stopped you from using key Gates. It would also take days or even weeks to cross the whole of the Milky Way, for example to bring reinforcements, or medical aid, or whatever. Suddenly fleets and FTL matter again. The local base of operations becomes your new home. There's chokepoints. A new need for Diplomacy, strategy, maps, defending not just some Gates but entire routes... Isolationist places would need to be dealt with, exploring "backwater" planets would become mandatory, even finding Addresses to Dial would become a problem. And so on and on...

Also, fleets could become harder to refit and use, since key supplies might be harder to get via the Gate system. And big planets would want to keep their fleets handy for local protection or attacking. And that's before anyone notices that all FTL is now significantly slower due to the Subspace problem still not having reverted back to normal.

One morning it's SGC as usual, with everybody scattered around the Galaxy. Suddenly there's 50 different groups of people trying to get home by the scenic route. Have one of those groups be Academy Students, with or perhaps without a seasoned veteran teacher in charge. There'd be searching parties sent from SGC... enough stuff for 25 episodes, easily, right there. 100% SG1, with the same places, people, tech, and past, yet unlike anything that happened before.

What would Sam & Jack do on their own, unable to return to Earth for 2+ years, or even believing they'll never return?

Plus what will the Aschen do, or the Jaffa, or the Tok'Ra, or the Tollan survivors, or the Lucians, or the "evil" Asgard, or some converted Ori planet that's yet to learn about the Ori's demise. Shifting allegiances Game-of-Thrones-style... Plus the efforts to restore long-range Gating... or the effects of some enterprising pirates stealing Gates along key routes...

It could even force SGC and the IOA to make the Stargate Program public, if only to get enough new recruits for a sizable armed force needed to keep projecting Earth's power around, as "surgical strikes" can no longer be used.

And then, when the new messy state of affairs becomes old, around Season 4-5, voila, long-range Gating is restored! New mayhem follows!

Comment

1) I love the AI idea. Perhaps "awakened" by one-too-many viruses clashing around the Gate Network, and using leftover/incomplete memories/imprints of all the people who ever used the Gates? Not a new Sci-Fi concept, but fairly interesting. Maybe it could cause the crippling of long-range Gating and comms for its own reasons (amusement, testing, growing pains...), or perhaps it is a panicked someone (say, McKay) trying to pull the plug on the AI, who causes the crippling....

2) Perhaps the "local" Gates could simply be much smaller than the others, like the Goa'uld Rings? Much depends on their "use", that is, what kind of story would be enabled by such tech. They could become handy backdoors for an invading enemy, or be shown as a defining aspect of Aschen economy/society (until the day they spectacularly malfunction!?)

It would also be nice to see what an advanced society might do with their Gates, like Gating freight or passenger trains, drop Gate beach-heads on enemy cities for invading armies to use...

3) Indeed! 8^)

And missiles!

4) Yeah. Asgard tech would be a "mayhem-multiplier" in lots of situations.

Perhaps also have some Lucians use their "holo-camouflage" tech creatively to protect, hide or "kidnap" Gates and DHDs. Or other valuable things.

5) Keep the higher Chevrons still hard to fathom / use. But Destiny's need no longer be the only Address ever found. There could/should be others. Leading to hidden ships, space-stations, planets, galaxies, Master Super-Gates, trouble...

6) I cannot recall any of that. Maybe you dreamed it? Still good stuff!

7) The Nox think the Tau'ri are underdeveloped savages. Lots of work still to do on that front. Wonder what a visiting Nox diplomat would make of Earth's weirdly changing climate?

8) Endless fascinating possibilities: Ra didn't die, Earth was conquered, the Tok'Ra rule a Goa'uld Empire spanning half the Galaxy, Ancients didn't Ascend en masse, StarGates work differently and/or are much more scarce... Best visited briefly, hopefully without altering them too much.

9) Weird and intriguing. StarGate cloak & dagger beyond what's normally seen or known? Secret interplanetary organizations protecting or manipulating everybody else? Mystery Agents playing high-stakes games with SGC, or the Lucians, or the Aschen? Did the Tollans fake their own death? Are the Aschen the good guys, actually? Will anyone have the guts to play Lucian Roulette, spinning the Ring at random, knowing the receving planet will get a dose of experimental brain-storming plague? Maybe in small tantalizing glimpses only.

10) Definitely! Why hasn't this been done before, at least once? Picture ant-sized O'Neill or McKay invading a Gate's innards, or a DHD's, trying to fix them? Or, maybe Sam & Jack Gate somewhere where a lighning strike has slightly disarrayed the DHD's crystal circuits, causing him to become pocket-sized and her to become an air-headed giant (because of poor oxygen flow up there). Role-reversal and much quality time ensues! To be capped with a bona-fide long kiss ascribed to after-effects!!

Not so keen on seeing more Iratus bugs, tho, unless maybe Weir comes back along.

11) Gate-flow reversal? Wormhole re-anchoring? Without disconnecting or re-Dialing? The mind boggles. There must be easier ways to rescue Destiny, assuming it needs rescuing.

But, what if someone managed to use the Vortex Effect as a portable or ship-borne weapon? Countered by... huh...

12) Second that. It was a brute-force-ish yet cool "stepping-stone" while waiting for better ways.

Comment

Well done, plumber. Thanks for the long and creative answer and the participitating in my little brainstorming session. It feels like we are in a writers room. You also have got a very wild imagination and I loved most of your clever ideas (except the restriction of long distance gating). I also have got so much more ideas as I love this franchise. Maybe you have noticed it. I wish the writers could read this thread so some part of it could be used in a new MW based spinoff or in a newly discovered stargate network. I have put this conversation on Stargate : Command, so you can find me there as "Platschu".

First of all I just realized how bad it sounds when you misread the "master gate". My bad.

1. While we were talking about mastergates and "subgates" (shall we call it as "lower gates"?), I imagined a civilization which could produce and plant mini-stargates on a planet (similar what Orlin did in 5x03). They wouldn't make the gate from naquadah. You are right about it, it could be fun to see how this civilization could develop if they could actively use the gates instead of planes or trains or any other vehicle. I don't want to change the SG world into a Monsters Inc. where every child room's door was a gateway / portal, but even that could be interesting. How would change to society? Would they be fat and lazy like in Wall-E? Would there be any side effects which effects the health of the users? What if the wormhole kills someone or duplicate someone accidentally. Anyway that would be a bit scifi noir version of Stargate.

2. Or the Mastergate-subgate idea could work on as a group of planets. What if a highly advanced civilization would start to place their own stargates isntead of "borrowing" them from somewhere else? So the original Ancient planted gates wouldn't recognize or accept these gates, but the owner race could dial them. So that could be one of the way how a galactic empire could spread as they start to monopolize the gate network for themselves.

Because that is what I tried to explain with different ideas that the future of a gate related civilization would be if they can keep some part of the gate system for themselves:
                  - place the gate to space / underwater / hostile environment - to prevent unwanted visitiors
                  - place an active protective system on the gate or around the gate - energy shields, physical barriers
                  - place the gate in transphase to hide it from the normal network
                  - change or upgrade the local DHDs (the program, the crystals or even the whole DHD)
                  - develop new local gate systems : mastergate-subgate on planet or group of planets
                  - upgrade or place supergates / medium supergate for bigger ships

And even these could be combined with different vehicles what could fly through stargates. I believe it would definately shake up things in Milky Way.

I have rewatched the Quest in season 10 and it looks like they were teleported through the established wormhole. So even if you don't enter the wormhole, you can be still sent back as "energy". This discovery could also open a few new possibilities:
                  - teleport weapons through the stargate with beaming technology
                  - save such people who are in trouble on the other side - maybe they could beam them back to the starting planet
                  - would transport rings able to connect other ring through an opened wormhole if there is an other one on the other side?

If we would create this holographic AI character (I don't want to copy Altered Carbon or the emergency medical hologram in Voyager, but this is scifi), would he be able to use the beaming option as a safety protocoll to save the heroes? Because then it would be nice if he could move everything within the "dome" around the gate and the DHD? Would this DHD living AI character able to communicate with the other side? Could he tell the heroes who has dialt in at an incoming wormhole? This could be a major defense option for a new base... Would there be rivalry between different AIs or is he unique? Was he created by Ancients or the Nox or any other advanced extinct race? Or is he just a crystal alien in a new form (see Cold Lazarus and Doppelganger)? Or he something completly new? I believe this character would have so much potential as his skills could be upgraded and developed by seasons, why we could learn much more about his past as well. And who knows? Maybe he could help RepliWeir... Or maybe the reason SGC hasn't found him as we haven't had an active DHD on Earth. Maybe he would be able to project himself as all those races who touched the DHD, as he can copy them as a holographic shapeshifter when they touched the main DHD button. Or he could be a "space Jinn" and his magic lamp is liteally the DHD. That would be funny and creative, while it could have mythological references too. So there are lots of fun options.
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jinn
                  https://www.britannica.com/topic/jinni

But this beaming through the gate should be restricted how long it works, so this idea needs careful planning, because then nobody would enter the gate physically.

I also imagined two new type of stargates:
                  1. One of them could be like a "transformers" type of gate. It wouldn't be made of naquadah. The gate would like a normal gate, but with a special function it could extend itself. There would be some folded gate parts between the chevron parts (like a folded tape measure), but then it could enlarge itself. So slightly bigger ships (like a tel'tac or alkesh) could fit into it. So if we count the scales, then Orlin gate is size 1, normal stargate size 2, this one would be the "medium" size 3, the beachhead gate is size 4 and the supergate is size 5. This idea could still work with the master gate idea.

2. The other would be a bit similar. In this case the chevrons would be put together by an energy shield, similar to the beachead gates or supergates. There wouldn't be a normal spinning on this one, but we could find out a creative way how to dial it. Probably this idea could work in an other galaxy or maybe as an Ori stargate.

And they should also fill some serious plot holes in Earth history as well:
                  - if Ra brought the gate to Earth then how long he has been here?
                  - When and how long have they gathered ancient people? Was Giza like an international "airport"? You know... Phoenician group Gate 1 at 8:00, Greek group Gate 1 at 8:10 etc.? So something is missing here.
                  - What other races visited Earth and when?
                  - When has the Asgard visited humanity? Have they influenced our culture directly? Have they transported vikings?
                  - What happened with Omoroca people (underwater alien in season 1)? Why has she fought for the humans against Belos?
                  - Who has transfered the Salish indians?
                  - Is there any connection between the Tollans, the Mayans and the Crystall skull aliens?
                  - How could we see a Christian medieval society in season 3? Has Sokar visited Earth?
                  - Why has Hathor been imprisoned in the Mayan / Aztec civilization? Has she fought with the Crystal aliens?
                  - If Stargate SG-1 started the revolution in ancient Egypt, then how could Seth stay on Earth? Because Isis and Osiris could have been put in canopy jars much earlier, but his story is a bit strange.
                  - Was Camelot and the round table established before Ra or after Ra? Merlin said it happened just 1000 years ago, so how could it be connected to other civilizations without an active stargate on Earth?

I know it is very easy to introduce dangers and villains on Earth, but these questions were not really answered in SG-1. Could it happen that the Goa'uld came with more Ha'taks? And if they did then why have they not returned? Something is missing here, I believe.

Anyway I would like to see more mythology based races. Who knows? Maybe a Goa'uld scientist made some genetic experiments to create half-animal and half-human host races, but then he/she was suddenly killed and his/her toys were slaughtered or enslaved. That could explain why so many ancient culture believed in such monsters (like minotaur, kentaurs, sirens etc.) :
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_in_mythology

Or just simply introduce some ancient races which used to be host races between the Unas and humans, but they must have some serious genetic flaw, so they have rather chosen the easly accessable humans. Some of them could be still loyal to the Goa'uld, others would be friendly to SGC etc. There are so many options and SG was always strong to build on mythology, so they should just dig deeper.

So it was a clever idea from Brad Wright and Jonathan Glassner that the Jaffa Guards used those animals as helmet which attribute belonged to their gods. It would have been nice to see new Jaffa Guards in Stargate : Worlds, as they planned a lot (like Crocodile Guard, Hyena Guard, Naga Guard etc.)
                  https://cdnb.artstation.com/p/assets...jpg?1428957903
                  https://pre00.deviantart.net/2958/th...yperdivine.jpg
                  http://stargateworldsmmo.wikia.com/w...al_%281%29.jpg
                  http://stargateworldsmmo.wikia.com/w...le=FIL4314.JPG
                  http://stargateworldsmmo.wikia.com/w...231.JPG&page=3
                  http://stargateworldsmmo.wikia.com/w...Naga_Guard.jpg

Stargate : Worlds also wanted to introduce different staff weapons :

http://stargateworldsmmo.wikia.com/w..._Radiation.jpg
                  http://stargateworldsmmo.wikia.com/w...nic.jpg&page=6
                  http://stargateworldsmmo.wikia.com/w...pon-plasma.png

It would be nice to see different Stargate related decorations. If the core gate is untouched they could still build statues, coloumns and other religious stuffs around the gate like it would be an altar. Theoratically the gate must have played a centre position in the cultures, so I would definately like to see such stargates. But we have got a limited budget for a tv show, so I know it won't happen.

It would be nice to find a civlization which became our enemies after they find out that they have sent expeditions to find their roots on Earth, but all of them died because of the Iris. So when we could have been visited, but accidetally we killed their first representatives.

I always wanted to see him on the show:
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asclepius
                  https://www.greeka.com/greece-myths/asclepius.htm
                  The short story is that he saved too many people, so Hades, the god of underworld complained about him, so he was hit by a lighting bolt by Zeus and he was changed into a snake. This mythical character would have been perfect for a Tok'Ra or Goa'uld character as we can still see his memory day by day. I am a pharmacist, so if you walk on the street and you can see the logo of a pharmacy, then it will be still a cup with a snake around it.
                  Last edited by Platschu; 20 May 2018, 11:21 AM.

Comment

My imagination rides atop the shoulders of giants!

And yes, I wrote a not-so-wild SGU fanfic in 2016.

The crippling of the Gate Network is meant to be a temporary plot device to wring more interesting plots from the ultimate plot device that's the StarGate, leaving everything else unchanged. I realize it's still a significant change, but considering your goals, the alternatives, and the potential benefits/fun, I can live with that. P-}

Maybe have it last only half a season, instead of 3 whole seasons?

Everything about your "master" and "mini" Gates reminds me of the Aschen, for some reason. I'd bet they've done most or all you describe, in peace and in war, openly or on the sly. I guess their ancestors got lucky when overthrowing their Goa'uld masters, and were able and willing to study lots of abandoned advanced tech, thereby jumpstarting their technology and economy, but somehow warping their society and morals. Noir indeed!

Asgard beams thru the Gate could surely do pretty interesting things. Still, I don't quite see them working against the wormhole flow or breaching a good Iris. At least not easily or without risk. Same for the under-appreciated yet powerful Transport Rings.

The AI would be "holographic" in the sense of being multi-faceted. Its "powers" should grow slowly, and face serious limitations, lest it became the ultimate deus ex machina. It could also often be unable or unwilling to help, so it'd be more of a surprise when it did. One helpful function, besides "Caller ID" and "Re-dial", would be to "filter" alien matter while Gating.

There would be no shortage of energy-based life-forms able to act as your "space Jinn". Maybe even an Ascended Ancient, stranded someplace with infrequent visitors?

Foldable Gates would be so cool!

Alas, I think the size of the wormhole depends on the available stored energy, the amount of it that can be precisely channeled, the delicate tuning of the machinery, the quality and robustness of key power components... These run counter the "foldable/deployable/virtual" Gate concept. Still, it should be possible to build your "medium" sizes. But they wouldn't be easy nor cheap. It would also be useful to have a Gate that, when left behind, can "pack" itself and either hide somewhere or use FTL engines to follow the Gaters.

The "primitive" Earth peoples can be attributed to Ra or his associates at the time (Chinese, African). The Vikings and the medieval Christians were likely Transported by the Asgard, who must have visited Earth often, until the time of Camelot, or even more recently. That might also explain the Mayans. It's not unthinkable that other ship-borne Goa'uld stole people from Ra's preserve. They might even have gotten there first, before Ra saw fit to claim and conquer the whole planet, and bring his own Gate to speed up his logistics afterward.

Omoroca is still a mystery, tho. Maybe her race liked Earth's oceans & people, and had fast ships for frequent visiting? Or a way to Gate in/out unseen? Then spawned the Sirens myth?

IIRC Earth was another "protected" planet, much like the Asgard ones, until SG-1 started Gating around "asking for trouble".

Minotaurs could actually be Unas, and the others the result of Goa'uld genetic experiments, aimed at creating either better troops, or better hosts. Or just for their perverse fun. But colorful helmets are an easier explanation, indeed.

So, an Unas-Goa'uld lands his ship on a beach in ancient Greece, allows some natives to follow him into its mysterious labyrinthine corridors, never to be seen alive again, except maybe 1 or 2 horrified witnesses. Myths have spawned from less.

I'm guessing Gates dormant for generations would get much less attention and decorations than active ones used by fake gods.

I'm also guessing that any race smart enough to use the Gates and find Earth's Address would know to first ask if it was defended.

Asclepius the Tok'Ra would be so awesome!! He could even have been one of the leaders of the revolt! Or perhaps his was an earlier failed one, and he was punished for it, publicly blasted with DeathGlider fire. Maybe he used to smuggle people thru Ra's Gate, or divert entire outbound "shipments", thus "saving" them? Or was he just using his symbiote powers to heal people from the inside? Then his myth was re-told (and distorted) by neighboring civilizations.

Engineer here, used to math and arcane symbols, with a love for Spaceships, Mythology and Archaeology. StarGate couldn't be closer to my heart & mind!
                    Last edited by plumber; 28 February 2018, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumber View Post
                      The AI would be "holographic" in the sense of being multi-faceted. Its "powers" should grow slowly, and face serious limitations, lest it became the ultimate deus ex machina. It could also often be unable or unwilling to help, so it'd be more of a surprise when it did. One helpful function, besides "Caller ID" and "Re-dial", would be to "filter" alien matter while Gating.
                      We understand each other quite well and I like that we are spawing ideas for each others. I was guessing a new race could be introduced as "Jinns", but at first our heroes would believe that he is just a hologram. Later they could discover he is capable of so much more if he is willing too. He could be a guardian of the new base, but he would also have his secrets in his past. Are there more? Is he being chased by someone or the other AI? Because at first when I imagined this character that most of the planets would have these AI programs, so he would be like a funny/annoying/helping/angry local tour guide type character just around the gate (like he is saying weather forecast or comments about the local people or the local dangerous animals etc.). So it would nice to find out why is our "Jinn" is even unique and why he became loyal to the heroes if he is going to be at all.

There would be no shortage of energy-based life-forms able to act as your "space Jinn". Maybe even an Ascended Ancient, stranded someplace with infrequent visitors?
                      The space Jinn was just an option to introduce a new race what has got a small mythological connection. But there are so many different Jinns, so maybe he could be chased by Ifrits and that is the reason he is hiding in one particular planet / base. And who knows? Maybe they are "just" a near-human race which stuck somewhere ascension and the material realm, so that is the reason they are holographic / almost transparent. But even his body could be changed, so he could manifest into a solid form for a short time, sometimes he could change his outfits or even his own race. So he could be anything as a space shifter as long as that living creature touched the button on the DHD to scan them. That is how the legend of his lamp would echo in the SG world. Maybe he could be found in an abadonned place where nobody has gone (like Cave of wonders etc.)?

Foldable Gates would be so cool!
                      I am lazy to do the math, but since you are an engineer, you can do. How much would a circle's diameter increase if we could manage to increase the perimeter 3x? Because I imagined this idea like an "origami" or "Transformers" folded gate, so there would be three thinner and folded gate parts between the chevrons so when it folds itself then the distance would be three times longer between the chevrons. That would allow a tel'tac or maybe even an alkesh to cross the unfolded "medium" stargate.

Alas, I think the size of the wormhole depends on the available stored energy, the amount of it that can be precisely channeled, the delicate tuning of the machinery, the quality and robustness of key power components... These run counter the "foldable/deployable/virtual" Gate concept. Still, it should be possible to build your "medium" sizes. But they wouldn't be easy nor cheap. It would also be useful to have a Gate that, when left behind, can "pack" itself and either hide somewhere or use FTL engines to follow the Gaters.
                      If it would follow the gates then the coordinates would also change. So technically gates should not move around, only the owners could place them here or there for different reasons.

The "primitive" Earth peoples can be attributed to Ra or his associates at the time (Chinese, African). The Vikings and the medieval Christians were likely Transported by the Asgard, who must have visited Earth often, until the time of Camelot, or even more recently. That might also explain the Mayans. It's not unthinkable that other ship-borne Goa'uld stole people from Ra's preserve. They might even have gotten there first, before Ra saw fit to claim and conquer the whole planet, and bring his own Gate to speed up his logistics afterward.
                      Well technically all Ha'taks have ring transports so they could pick up and spread people around the galaxy.

Omoroca is still a mystery, tho. Maybe her race liked Earth's oceans & people, and had fast ships for frequent visiting? Or a way to Gate in/out unseen? Then spawned the Sirens myth?.
                      Well, there are other water based mythical creatures what could be introduced as aliens.

I just imagined a scene where our heroes visit a world under the sea, then their new jumper makes a forcefield what pushes away the water around the gate. They made something similar in the Atlantis episode, when Rodney has found his whale. Then they would walk around at the bottom of the sea like in the Pirates of the Caribbean 5, so they coudl investigate some ruins or space ships. And if you seen the Abyss from James Cameron, then even the aliens could open the sea in front of them.

IIRC Earth was another "protected" planet, much like the Asgard ones, until SG-1 started Gating around "asking for trouble".
                      Asgards could still come back from Pegasus. Or maybe not all of them died in Unending... Anyway it would cause a little chaos if those worlds would realize that their Nordic gods have died. And who knows? Maybe a hostile civilization could also steal the Thor's hammer technology and they would use something similar to protect their own stargates from Jaffas / Goa'ulds.

Asclepius the Tok'Ra would be so awesome!! He could even have been one of the leaders of the revolt! Or perhaps his was an earlier failed one, and he was punished for it, publicly blasted with DeathGlider fire. Maybe he used to smuggle people thru Ra's Gate, or divert entire outbound "shipments", thus "saving" them? Or was he just using his symbiote powers to heal people from the inside? Then his myth was re-told (and distorted) by neighboring civilizations.
                      His name could be as funny as Yu ... like ask "Ask". He could be introduced cleverly, because if he would be just a recurring character than even his host could be a secondary character what could be developed. Like a 2:1 literally. So we should now what Asky has done under the Goa'uld domination. Where has he been hided? Has he been locked up in a canopy as well? Because that would explain why he doesn't know what happened in the galaxy in the last few milleniums. Or he could have a non-human host from the past of the Goa'uld, what would make him a very unique Tok'Ra character. But they would also not trust him, so it could explain why he decided to join our heroes then.

Engineer here, used to math and arcane symbols, with a love for Spaceships, Mythology and Archaeology. StarGate couldn't be closer to my heart & mind!
                      Well done, plumbie, if you don't mind. I also love mythology and archaeology. Indeed.

Talking about mythology... Somehow I always imagined when they started the Arthur-Merlin storyline that the Round Table will be a horizontaly laid stargate what is used as a table. And the Knights of this "table" would be new races when Merlin tried to forge a new alliance against the Goa'uld.

Hopefully they will start something completly new in the 4th spinoff, if MGM orders it. But I also expect to have strong mythological background behind it. Just they have to chose carefully to not insult living cultures. So if they would use names, "alien races" for example from the Bible, then probably the Christians would protest against it. Even the Ori crusade was a bit borderline, but it was a nice reference the religous fanatism (christans, muslims etc.).

So who knows? Maybe Moses had a Goa'uld when he visited the Pharaoh. Or later he could put a bronze Goa'uld on a pole when they fought against someone in the Bible. Or Noah's ark could be a space ship with MW races... Eden could be a planet where we have been banished to Earth (a fan fiction had a similar name)... Even such stories could be explained , but then it would definately hurt the religious belief, so it must considered carefully.

Or they could involve some Hindu based mythology (like from the Mahabharata), but I doubt that the Indians would be very happy about it. But even Nirrti and Kali were Goa'ulds, so maybe I worry too much about such things.

Anyway.. I want to keep the Goa'ulds as secondary villains, but they would play a much smaller role now. They are defeated, most of them have died, but since there are Jaffas in the Universe, we can't get rid of them so easily as those little Juniors will be mature soon or later. Originally the PTTB wanted to keep the Goa'ulds in Stargate : Worlds and even the Jaffa nation would have fallen into two groups : The Loyal Jaffas and the Rebel Jaffa. I can only hope these SG:W storylines would show up in a new MW based spinoff.

I also would like to see Todd, the Wraith again. He is a fan favorite. Since Atlantis is on the Earth, I would be interested what happened with him. Have they imprisoned him in Area51? Maybe he could be also recurring in a new show, because Atlantis won't be continued for a while, so he could have some adventures in the MW then.

I imagined two-three small story ideas about him:
                      1. First of all he would watch National Geographic and he would lick his mouth... Okay, seriously, he should try to eat some animal meat. Maybe he would be "vegan" this way and this could be a solution for the Wraith civil war.

2. He could walk or hide amongst human if he could wear a Foothold projection hologram. So he would walk around as Halling, the human (as Christopher Heyerdahl). Maybe Teyla could mention that it is creepy that he has chosen a form of an Athosian...

3. He could feel the telepatic presence of an other Wraith on Earth... Somewhere deep in Transylvania (Romania) and he would hunt him down the other life sucking Wraith, whos name is Dracula. But how he ended up on Earth centuries ago from an other galaxy? That could be also explained. Maybe he was brought back by the Ancients to study him, but then he escaped etc.

The main reason we need Todd, because he is an expert of the device what causes the chaos in the galaxy. So if he hasn't left the MW galaxy on the board of the Atlantis, then he could be a very valuable help against the Vanirs (evil Asgards). But what if they teleport him to sell to a Goa'uld who wants to make him a host... So his life would definately depend on the new team, where he joins as a scientist expert....
                      Last edited by Platschu; 01 March 2018, 10:29 PM.

Comment

I have lost these answers as my original post was too long with your quotes, so I have to rewrite these answers as they were lost by the forum motor.
                        Minotaurs could actually be Unas, and the others the result of Goa'uld genetic experiments, aimed at creating either better troops, or better hosts. Or just for their perverse fun. But colorful helmets are an easier explanation, indeed.

So, an Unas-Goa'uld lands his ship on a beach in ancient Greece, allows some natives to follow him into its mysterious labyrinthine corridors, never to be seen alive again, except maybe 1 or 2 horrified witnesses. Myths have spawned from less.
                        Well. I believe the Minotaurs were used in World of WarCraft... Even SG-1 visited a Minoan culture in season 1. And maybe they talked about the labirinth in Thor's hammer, I don't remember perfectly.

I wanted to see new mythology based aliens. As SG would be a perfect choice for introduce such aliens who could visit our planet and they are still remembered in our cultures:
                        https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/pi...69550848_n.jpg
                        http://etc.ancient.eu/photos/10-crea...eek-mythology/
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythic_humanoids
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_in_mythology
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garuda
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamassu
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selkie

Or they could find out that these legens were based on different animals on Earth which have died out as humanity spreaded and they became extinct. If the Saharah was a big savannah, we won't know how many mammals have died out in bronze age / Ice age. Maybe some aliens have transported a few of them to other planets to save them...

I imagined a new character, the Goa'uld Hephaistos, who was the blacksmith of the gods. So instead of weapons he forged different host races like an ancient Dr. Moreau. He is like a host collector, so he tried to use as many alien races as hosts as possible in the past. Other Goa'ulds believed his motives are sick and unusual and mostly heretic since they prefer the beauty, the outfits and the show to the followers, while he was "ugly" and a bit weird. So he was banished from the space ship called Olympus, where the Goa'ulds lived and discussed the fate of humanity under the supervision of Ra. So the humans were afraid of his "toys", but the short social experiments on Earth where humans could live with them together and they could see his experiment spawned lots of legends. Later they started to kill them as an order of the other Goa'uld Systemlords and Hephaistos could hardly escape with them. He knew this one will happen so he has hided some of his toys in distant worlds in advance where he expected the Goa'uld will never find them as he started to care about them. He could be a very interesting new player (ally or villain) in the MW as he is neither Goa'uld and nor Tok'ra, like a neutral character. He is immune to symbionte poison as he had so many different hosts, so he would easily survive an assisination attempt from the Tok'ra / Rebel Jaffa / Goa'ulds. He could use two ribbon devices what is also very unusual in appearance, so he could even create some spell like effects. He hasn't got any human Jaffas or minions, only his creatures who are really loyal to him even without genetic programming. And even he looks human, his current host body is not human at all... He could be one of the represantive of the non-humanoid races, but he is not really trusted by anyone in the beginning. And he could also know the addresses , where he has put new gates.

(Or maybe he could be the DHD living AI character whom we talked about above... A shapeshifter used to be Goa'uld, who has got a protective nature, but he wanted to reach ascension through the creation the perfect host body, but then he realized he is responsible for his creatures. So he is banished by the Systemlord and he could also not ascend as he was not capable of giving up interventions. Maybe a Nox has found him as they could feel his true nature and now he is living far away from conflicts. After collecting knowledge and he merged with his final host and he became a Jinn. But then something still happened and he disappeared for centuries... Have the Asgard captured and locked him up? Or even the Ancients or the Nox interfered for his crimes against evolution? Then the replicator destroying beam reached his stargate from Dakara and he was awakened from a long sleep... )

But I believe they would work better separetely. Hephaistos (nicknamed as "Happy"), Asclepeios ("Ask") and the unnamed AI Jinn would be some interesting recurring characters next to the main heroes so they could also help or obstruct them. Don't forget that they are hundreds or thousands years old (like the Immortals in Highlanders), so maybe they knew each other in the past. And I am pretty sure if Hephaistos could hear about Todd then he would do eveything to meet him and to study him and he won't be happy about it. But he could be also essential of the survival of the Asgard race too if they want to create an anchestor body, so he could be important to the Vanirs too. Maybe Nirrti has found his notes and that gave her ideas for experiments in season 6... So we could create so many connection points.

I'm guessing Gates dormant for generations would get much less attention and decorations than active ones used by fake gods.
                        The only reason I mentioned it, because if the gods were coming and going through the chappai, then I would have expected some extra decorations next the gate. Like Snake statues or hawk wings etc. Or if it is an advanced civilization then the stargate should stand on a bigger square. I know SG is just a tv show, but that wouldn't be logical that they put a stargate into a tiny little square. Especially if the gates would be used for military purposes too. But this one would be also a good idea to make "minor" gates for the public who would believe that their planet is pacifist, but in reality the second gate or master gate would be used by the military....

I'm also guessing that any race smart enough to use the Gates and find Earth's Address would know to first ask if it was defended.
                        It was just a quick random idea what would happen if we could have been first contacted, but then it turns really bad.

And here are some smaller random mythology idea:
                        - a Greek world where they worship the gate as a manifestation of Orpheus. And the 9 chevrons would represent the 9 muses : they could be 9 deadly nymphs who could perform a celebration or play to charm the men and with some alien device / effect to convince them to enter the gate as a sacrifice to the gods in a middle of a greek theater (to be killed or to be enslaved on the other side etc.)
                        https://www.greekmythology.com/Other...the_muses.html
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnemosyne
                        Anyway I have to think about this idea a little deeper. Their mother, Mnemosyne (Goddess of Memory) could be related to the Goa'uld genetic memories and the creation of the first dangerous Harsiesis. We should hear a little story how they discovered the first Harsiesis and why has noone ever tried to father such child with his own Queen. It is not logical that Apophis was the first one. I believe something is missing from here, maybe the original enemy of the Goa'uld Systemlords, who were placed by the Ancients / Furlings to guard and protect humanity. It would be nice to hear a little story what has gone wrong and how they became competitive and violent.

Who were the Titans? Could they be an other alien race who was really a match against the Goa'uld, but then they lost the galaxy wild war. They could be still introduced, but unfortunately they have portrayed Cronoss as a "Goa'uld Systemlord". So they could be maybe a different groups of Goa'ulds, who have been defeated by the Systemlords etc.
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_(mythology)

Okay. I am getting tired. Sorry for the grammatical errors. I wrote lots of Goa'uld story ideas in spite of they should be just a little background villains in the this new civil war type MW scenario. The main reason we have talk about a slightly distant past (means pre-Goa'uld era) as it would be nice discover what happened to the galaxy in different ages : when the Ancients first arrived and they have built the gate system, then when they established the Alliance of Four Race, then the virus attack against them, the fleeing to Pegasus, then the returning to Milky Way, then Ascension then the post-Ascension but pre-Goa'uld dynasty, Goa'uld domination, Merlin's rebellion, then post-Goa'uld era. So many things could be still told what could affect the current situation. Ancient alliances, races, techs, planets, maybe invaders from different time, reality or galaxy. There are so many options in this rich scifi universe.

Unfortunately you are the only one who appreciated it so far. And honestly I doubt that a tv show would ever use such deeply established characters as the viewers won't be able to follow or enjoy the hardcore mythological references etc.
                        Last edited by Platschu; 01 March 2018, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Great minds think alike! P-}

Seems to me the various Ascended races already fill the role of Jinns, Ifrits, and more. But it wouldn't hurt to see Ascended people doing more things, within existing canon. Someone "stuck halfway" to Ascension could be a neat way of enabling that.

The perimeter of the Gate equals PI times the diameter. If it's tripled, the diameter will also be tripled. But if would depend on the stuff inside the Ring being "foldable" too. Everything we've seen about the Gates leads me to think they're pretty solid and compacted to the max as they are. I guess the military would transport one as perhaps 9 attachable yet rigid curved "segments". Assuming the power & "subspace" systems inside the Ring can be safely & quickly detached and reattached. An interesting engineering problem!

Many races have moved Gates around. It's implied if you can do that then you can also adjust for the new coordinates. Widening the wormholes is a very different undertaking, one tied to energy manipulation more likely than to mere Ring size.

The trouble with introducing new races is explaining why they haven't been seen before. Water-based, gas-giant-based, or star-hugging ones might be the easier to explain. But the known races have good scanners, so it's not a given they can stay hidden, at least not near the frequently visited worlds.

Indeed the Asgard's absence and their abandoned toys should trigger some chaos or other developments, same as the Ancients' absence did.

'Hey, don't "Ask" me.'

If he survived Ra's wrath, I'd imagine him as a very old and cautious "healer" or Shaman, hiding for 9000 years in, say, Africa, then SouthEast Asia, Pacific Islands, then South- and North-America... One day a handsome Native-American surgeon with sterling references joins SGC, ostensibly to help running Alpha or Beta-site... May even be a woman. Such arcane knowledge. Such healing abilities... Not suspicious at all...

Camelot mirroring what the old "Alliance of 5 Great races" used to be? Very fitting! Merlin probably used some old toy of his as the Round Table, with who knows what effects. Stamina? Steroids? Sapientia?

The Bible leaves little room for myth, I'm afraid. There's God, a few angels, the Devil... very few and specific characters to play with, and plenty "explored" already. Vague references to the Old Testament could be interesting, tho. Moses besting a Goa'uld Pharaoh, thanks to some "power-stick" of alien origin, or perhaps just organizing a slave revolt? Too similar to Ra's banishing, probably. The leveling of Sodom & Gomorrah? Goliath the Unas? Hhmmmm... Who hasn't been expecting for decades a Jesus Christ cameo? But that'd be "too historical". Odds are it's been purposefully kept strictly in the realm of possibility, like Schrodinger's Cat.

Hindu-based mythology would probably have the opposite problem, not being as well-known as the Egyptians or the Asgard. Still, vague references should be possible and interesting.

I reckon Todd would probably be the only Wraith I'd like to see again. But the entire race deserves closure, or at least some temporary "solution". IIRC, it was specifically stated that they couldn't really survive on non-human "feedings" only, on account of their unstable genes needing the propping-up. I'm guessing Mr. Dracula is another long-awaited cameo, too, but not an easy one to set-up. Goa'ulds shouldn't want Wraith hosts anyway, them being unstable, with weird mental abilities and strict feeding needs... not quite the stable power base a long-lived snake covets, except maybe for fun, temporarily.

Hephaistos, the first Engineer? Could be an interesting myth to subtly draw upon. Your biology-oriented version sounds good. Even if he was an Ancient, he might have been a main driver of the Goa'uld ascendancy to power, perhaps, before the evil ones became dominant. That'd be a very interesting span of "History" to watch! Having him alive and kicking ass, however, is another thing. As Nirrti's mentor, former lover and bitter rival, maybe? Oh, Heff, what have you done...

Seems logical to assume that the Ancients were the Titans, the Goa'uld somehow their heirs, and Kronos just borrowed an old name. Any myth would be fair game, I reckon, even the animal-based ones, provided the references are vague enough, since Stargate revolves around the aliens, more than Earth's folklore (though it draws from both)

Most Goa'uld planets were peopled by slaves, mainly, without much time or inclination for decorations. Most other races didn't even imagine what the Ring's function was, which explains how they treated it as just another old trinket. Which makes the meddlesome Tau'ri even more extraordinary, taking less than a century to figure it out and put it to good use.

Ideas like these have been discussed before, but I guess everybody must be busy with the @StargateNow shoutout.
                          Last edited by plumber; 02 March 2018, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Oh thank you.. I always dreamed about creating an own scifi world with own races with serious motivations. I love non humanoid races, so the Ascendany (an old DOS game) is a really good inspiration :
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx-YGTqgWWk
                            http://aliens.wikia.com/wiki/Categor...dancy_Universe

As I said I am a pharmacist, so I try to imagine new races with biological or chemicaly changes in a belieavable way like how can such races evolve, how can they develop, how different scenarios could change genetics etc. I know it can sounds like a real techo blabla in movies, but if they make it right and believable, I always enjoy those. And it is very hard to even imagine to communication with a non humanoid being as they would seriously think differently about life.

So back to the original question. Imagine the Ancients... They arrive in the Milky Way a long time ago. Since the SG timeline has been changed a few times (millions years ago or thousands of years ago), it doesn't really matter now when it happened. What matters is the established history of the gate system. Since they have made Stargate : Universe, we can presume that they have placed the "Universe-type gates" at first, but later they upgraded it to the "SG-1-type gates". If you have read my idea about saving the Destiny, it also presumes that if the Destiny crossed the Pegasus-galaxy before they have have gone with Atlantis there, then some U-gates must have been put there like in the MW. So where are those gates now? Have they been replaced? Have they left out any? Have they left them out of the automated gate syncronization (no DHD - no synch or the gates can still call each other)? Can they be still dialed or can they reach only eachter? Because it could be an interesting starting scenario if a civlization could find these old gates in MW or Pegasus and then would study them or use them for their own reasons (like keeping them working separetly or combining with the newer versions). Or maybe they could find it on a board of a crashed Ancient gate planting ship. Then your idea about the short range dialing could still start if they temper the dialing protocoll of the U-gates and that could infect the MW or P gate system...

But back to the original story. Ancients arrived in the MW as they have fled from the Ori. They decided to build a gate system to support their colonies. Even this step should have caused lots of moral or philosophical debate amongst them :
                            - Have they got the right to place gates everywhere?
                            - Have they been ethical to terraform them?
                            - Why have they put stargates on dangerous planets?
                            - Have they put stargates around brown stars too in "dark worlds"?
                            - Should they have left out any civilization to "preserve" them? Or such races which could be hostile later?
                            - Are these ancient races still outside of the gate system or have they discovered the network?
                            - Is placing of a stargate on a planet is an intervention of evolution? When should they act? Will it break the laws of the ascended?
                            - What will happen with food chains / ecosystems if they collide through the gate?
                            - Have they got the right to decide who should travel and who shouldn't?
                            - What civilization should be educated and which one sholdn't?
                            - Shall they try to support only the human race? Were there other previous preferred races?
                            - If they have established the Great Alliance of Four Races, then have they studied all the other minor races?
                            - What decides who is worth and who is not worth of support? Technology? Support? Religios eliefs? Biological functions (like humanoids or non humanoids)? Opinion about other races?
                            - How have the Ancients created life on planets? Is there like an Eden or Genesis Project (like in Star Trek)?
                            - How have they tried to avoid the contaminations of worlds? The main reason is as every ecosystem are different and it could be influenced by the "starting" plants, the size of the Sun and the planet etc. We talk about milleniums even special new sub-races of animals or plants could have developed, what can infect or destroy an other evolution on an other planet.
                            - Will the speed of evolution of a race (and a planet) will be increased or decreased by the gate system? Because it feels like Ancients played a little Sim : City with the same pine tree collection, but what if it could evolve rapidly something completly new? Or will the separated planets evolve quicker as there is less competition regarding the Earth?
                            I know it needs a bit higher level thinking how we could see ourselves on the scale of the universe, but also they are so interesting too. Even if it sounds like a blessing at first that they have built a gate system, it also accelerated the possible first contacts of such underdeveloped races who could reach a galactic civilization state just much later. That is the reason I liked those questions what they tried to answer in SG-1 and Atlantis. Is it better or safer for a human civilization if it hides the gate or shall they actively use it? What will happen if one civilization visits an other and then they argue about how is more developed and how is inferior or superior. And even the same questions should be asked whether has the arrival of the Ancients / Goa'uld / Humans caused any advantage or disadvantage for an alien race? Have we got the right the interfere of a seemlingly inhabited planet's evolution?

And what happened with the Pegasus galaxy? Don't tell me that only the Wraith was the only intelligent race there. Okay, their conflict escalated quickly and I do hope that Wraiths have got an Ancient origin and that is the reason I would like to see an Ancient-Iratus bug-Wraith connection point. I believe the writeres made the Pegasus-galaxy a bit too quiet as it is mainly about the Humans vs. Wraith type scenarios.

But MW is different. Here could be more new and old races who could start to conquer and discover the gate network and the neighbour civilization around themselves after the Ancients have ascended and finally they Goa'uld is also defeated. There are so many options here and everyting could be explained cleverly. The only reason I am still not happy with your short range gating idea as the two closest planets in the network (Abydos and Heliopolis) are not reachable.

We even have got the Asgard core and knowledge , so that could be a good explanation why the evil Asgard wants to hurt us. Honestly I was a bit disappointed that the Asgard were written off so easily in Unending, but how knows? Maybe it was just organized and they are still hiding. Or not every Asgard agreed to commit mass suicide. Or a group of them returned from an alternate reality or time field etc. They couldn't reveal anything in Atlantis season 4-5 what we have learnt from the Asgard archieves. You know even Daniel and Sam spent theirs whole life of studying it and Teal'c should have brought back the summary of the alternate future.... Or they could check what the Vanirs have done. Or they could locate some secrets in the Ida galaxy...

I like Todd, so I would like to see him as a recurring character even if he is way too powerful (massive healing on himself and team members, unhuman strength and intelligence etc.), but it could be interesting what a Wraith think about a much bigger galaxy where lots of other races live and their hive ships could be attacked back easily. The Wraith also needs a little more development, because the Humans vs. Wraith scenarios were a bit boring for me in Pegasus galaxy as there were not so many other dominant races in the Pegasus galaxy (maybe the Genii and later Michael's monsters). And we have hardly learnt enough about the Wraith factions, beliefs, cultures, the different hives etc. Everything was about their starving and how much they want to feed on humans. So if they want to return and "reform" the Pegasus-galaxy in a future Pegasus related spinoff (if we could ever get an Atlantis mini-series) then they should also develop a bit deeper scenario there as it feels like a dead-end at the moment.

Other. I would like to revisit the mythology of flood what is almost there in every ancient culture. It could be interpreted into the SG world on that way that an alien race have attacked human worlds in the past. They dialed in to the planets and they have literally flooded them with an ocean which has gone through the stargate. Then they have returned to their own world. Maybe that is how they were fighting against the Goa'uld and the spreading Human civilizations and the few survivors could give the memory of the flood narrative. Has it happened on Earth too? Where are these aliens now in the galaxy? Have the Goa'uld found their homeworld and destroyed them? It could be quite interesting as the Goa'uld could survive in the water. So what if a Goa'uld swam back to the attacker world without a host? Or has a Goa'uld Systemlord already conquered them? How these hostile aliens decide which human world must be destroyed?
                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_flood_narrative
                            So that is the reason I said we could play with underwater worlds in the future. But later their story could be developed on so many ways as we would understand their reasons and their complicated past with Humans, the Ancients and the Goa'uld.

I definately would like to see an ecoterrorist race in the SG universe, like a very-very wild alien version of Green Peace. There are so many forest or nature related myths as well, then I am sure we could find someone fitting (maybe nymphs or druids or ents.) . They could be even a renegate Nox group or a young race which used to be educated by the Nox, but then they turned evil and decided to make "order" in the galaxy and restore it the nature. There would be so many cool ways to introduce them as a new bigger villain : like sending floating plants and toxic spores or rapidly spreading flowers / plants to the diffferent advanced worlds. It could terraform the athmosphere of the targated planet or change the local citizens etc. Maybe they would fight against constructed buildings as they really wanted just to preserve nature, so basically they are angry about the Ancients and not the humans, but they would start to revenge us to punish them....

Or a gas based race could visit different worlds through the stargate. Their scouts would like peaceful as they would start to float above the cities and mountains in the sky, so most of the civilizations couldn't do anything against them. Nobody would understand what they want as at first they would only study the defense of the visitied worlds, maybe create a human like presentative to negotiate or threaten, but then they could turn hostile. Their "scouting" party would rapidly grow in the sky like a floating forest or cloud and spawning more units as they would steal the stargate from the ground and lift up to the sky to their level. So many worlds would be trapped if they wouldn't have ships or allies... Earth legends about floating castles could be still connected this race as their ships could like a spreading cloud which covers the sky, change the weather etc. So out heroes could use the new jumpers to attack them or even a modified ring transport could burn holes in the floating enemy etc.

Okay, these are just a few quick ideas how would "non human" aliens contact humans and what could be the outcome in a new and dangerous future.
                            Last edited by Platschu; 04 March 2018, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Alas, Stargate shows very few non-humanoid aliens, and not many alien races at all. Even the Asgards have humanoid ancestors, and most everybody has similar and understandable goals. It's perhaps for a good reason, as it keeps things simple.

I've read your ideas about saving Destiny, when researching for my latest fanfic. You might like some of the answers I wrote there.

I guess all the old Gates were replaced by the newer and sturdier models, but perhaps a few could still be found someplace where they were dumped? That would be a beautiful bit of Archaeology, but I don't think they're needed to break long-range Gating, as that depends on many finely balanced technologies, each of which could fail (at least temporarily) for reasons as simple as a Supernova explosion. Which could result in a new black-hole, not necessarily very big, which could send a few gravitational waves bouncing around, which could mix with other gravitational waves from another recent black-hole, which then could disrupt both Subspace and FTL travel. How's that for techo-babble? P-}

Not interruption, mind, only... interference. The closest planets (Abydos?) should still be directly reachable. And no trip would become impossible, provided all intermediate Gates needed could be found and used. A list of Addresses would no longer be enough, their physical location would also matter.

As for the ethical dilemmas, I'm still guessing the Ancients were too optimistic, perhaps believing no other race would be able to use Gate travel without their help, or disregarding the biological and cultural conflicts as reasonable prices to pay for the greater good. The dangerous planets may have been nice at the time, and turned wrong later, or be of scientific or economic value. And it would be fascinating to find some old isolated race in a Gateless planet out there. Assuming they survived the Dakara-class superweapons, which are supposed to be able to wipe out all life in the galaxy, as well as recreate it again.

IIRC, it was said Pegasus, being smaller, had no intelligent life prior to the Ancients' arrival. As the Wraith hadn't a long time to evolve and become fully self-sufficient, that would explain a certain lack of variety, resilience, etc.

The "good" Asgard were genetically and culturally exhausted, and too dependent on their tech, when SG1 began operating and showing the Tau'ri had the required mettle. But yeah, it isn't impossible that a few felt strong enough (physically and mentally) to go on, even as only "watchers" of their hot-headed Tau'ri proteges. That, with or without more Vanir, would be cool. And the Ida galaxy too.

Did Teal'c or anyone learn anything about the future outside of their ship? My guess it not, but... :-?

Floods are relatively frequent, as much as meteors, more than volcanos and novae. Still, it's an interesting choice of weapon, one perhaps favored by Omoroca's race. It would add variety to the more "conventional" beams and drones. As for ecoterrorism, there's the Lucians already doing it. But the Nox and their powers and worldview should definitely appear more. But no more mind-control, please...

Comment

Working...
                              X